Calories in Chinese food?

Options
Let me start by saying that I know full well I should watch how much fast food I eat. :) But the trouble is, due to my BF and I having some food allergies (intolerances, actually) it's the only thing we can easily do for delivery if we want to. I try my best to make better choices than I used to, but it's very frustrating trying to track calories... beef teryaki, boneless pork spareribs, chicken fingers, etc are just not in the system. Even if they were, portions are so hard to estimate - some places make their beef teryaki twice the size of others, or more. But I digress.

I've tried my best to estimate calories for Chinese food takeout, but I'm generally pretty frustrated by the very wide margin for error I feel like I'm stuck with. Does anyone have any suggestions on more accurate calories counts? Everywhere we order from is a tiny Mom and Pop place - and frankly, most of them have a language barrier to boot - so I can't really just ask the restaurant for calorie counts.

Replies

• nordens
    nordens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sure this isn't what you want to hear but I suggest making it yourself...
  • Jesusfollower72
    Options
    I second the making it yourself since there is really no way to accurately estimate the calories. There could be such a range of ingredients used. The recipes are easy to find online.
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love chinese and try sticking with shrimp or chicken and veggie dishes...shrimp and mixed veggies, shrimp and broccoli. However, some places they load it up with the sauce and others not so bad. I don't think the actual shrimp and veggies is so bad but the sauce they cook it in is terrible. It's almost impossible to guess just how many calories are in it and I've tried searching the internet for answers also. When I know I'm getting chinese, I keep my calories extremely low for the day and don't even bother with trying to log in for the day. Just start fresh tomorrow with a good workout! But I do try to cook it myself now so that I can keep track.
  • bellanean
    bellanean Posts: 220
    Options
    I'd be scared to see the amount of calories in chinese food! I dont think I would want to know.
  • haizew
    haizew Posts: 1
    Options
    I usually try to go to restaurants that have nutrional facts readily available. That way I dont have to get frustrated and its all figured out for me. I hope this works....
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The site below has caloric information from multiple chain or larger restaurants:

http://www.dietfacts.com/fastfood.asp

There are a few chinese/japanese restaurants on there, and that could give you a better estimation if your restaurant isn't on the list.
  • argonias
    argonias Posts: 1
    Options
    Chinese food is very high in sodium, unhealthy oils & sugars. It's best to prepare these ingredients yourself so you know what you are consuming. You can always use low sodium & low fat chicken broths, lean meats, and lots of healthy vegetables. Healthy canola oils too. Enjoy!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    ask for steamed without all that sauce
  • chailey70
    chailey70 Posts: 10
    Options
    Just tried some quick research. I know there is a chain chinese restaurant called Panda Express. They post the nutritional info online. http://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/nutrition.aspx. You could use this as a rough guideline. Obviously cooking for yourself is best. But if ya wanna treat yourself., maybe this will help. I like the idea of keeping the other calories REALLY low for that day as well. Best wishes on your goals, Chris
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually order shrimp and chicken with vegetables that are steamed with the sauce on the side. I have 1/2 cup of white rice, but I can't give up my egg roll.:flowerforyou:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Chinese food is very high in sodium, unhealthy oils & sugars. It's best to prepare these ingredients yourself so you know what you are consuming. You can always use low sodium & low fat chicken broths, lean meats, and lots of healthy vegetables. Healthy canola oils too. Enjoy!

Can't agree with your first statement. Since most Chinese is cook to order, it is very easy to order a dish and ask them to hold the sodium and msg. If you order something that is basically a protein and vegetables, ask that the sauce be placed on the side, you can still enjoy good Chinese food without regret.

BTW, not everyone on MFP thinks that Canola is a healthy oil. I've seen some posts in the past that gave higher ratings to others, like peanut, flax, coconut to name a few.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Can't agree with your first statement. Since most Chinese is cook to order, it is very easy to order a dish and ask them to hold the sodium and msg. If you order something that is basically a protein and vegetables, ask that the sauce be placed on the side, you can still enjoy good Chinese food without regret.

BTW, not everyone on MFP thinks that Canola is a healthy oil. I've seen some posts in the past that gave higher ratings to others, like peanut, flax, coconut to name a few.