Most effective core exercises

I've been doing four days a week strength training (A Workout Routine program) with 15-20 minutes light cardio, plus one or two days of regular cardio for about 30 minutes. On the cardio only days, I'd like to add in some ab/lower back exercises. I'm doing planks right now, edging my way up 10 seconds every two or three days. But I'd like to more... Maybe just a 5-10 minute routine.

What do you guys think are the most effective ab exercises? My that, I mean which ones hit more muscles.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    The ab wheel would be my first pick. Watch a few tutorials on youtube first.
    If you're doing heavy deadlifts. barbell rows, and squats, i would think that should be enough for lower back. Plus they pretty much replace planks.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    I incorporated an an routine from AthleneX, it's pretty brutal, but effective and requires no equipment.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I do dead bugs, 10 reps (Left + Right = 1 rep) with a 10-second hold. I also do waist-side crunches, "deep abs ball transfers" (lying down and passing a weighted ball from between hands to between knees, then back to hands), and planks with knee bends.
  • YouAgainstYou
    YouAgainstYou Posts: 8 Member
    Hollow holds, side planks. Do you have access to a stability ball?
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Spider-Man stretches, classic planks, side planks, Russian twists, candlesticks, leg lifts, dead bugs, hip thrusts, crunches and sit ups.
  • anderson_btb
    anderson_btb Posts: 115 Member
    Planks
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Pallof presses
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    I take a strong yoga class that incorporates some killer core exercises like Boat Pose, Dolphin Plank, and chair pose.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Hanging leg raises
  • 13RicLang13
    13RicLang13 Posts: 59 Member
    Dragon Fly
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Hollow holds, side planks. Do you have access to a stability ball?

yup. I have one art home and there's a few at my gym.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Pallof presses

I just learned of these the other day. They are a great core workout!

There are also a lot of things that you can do during your everyday routine that can help to strengthen your core. For example, when sitting down or standing up from a chair, do not use your hands to assist. When walking up and down stairs, do not hold onto the railing. If you are standing in a line, lift one foot slightly off of the ground and balance on one leg. All of these things force you to engage your core. It might not feel like an intense work out, but over time it will all add up to a stronger core.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I do mostly planks (mixed - side, forearm, straight arm, etc.), dead bugs, crunches (decline), side crunches, reverse crunches, hanging leg raises (front and side). Seems to do quite well at hitting all the muscles in the abs and back.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Compound lifts
    ab wheel
    hanging leg raises
    planks

• JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    I love my ab wheel, but also flutter kicks, bicycle kicks, leg raise while doing small circles with your legs, planks, especially on an exercise ball while moving your arms in & out & round & round
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Hollow Body Hold, Boat, Slow to fast Bicycle, one leg balance exercises (tree, 1 leg deadlift, pistol squats, etc.), rotating side plank to reach unders. Slow controlled movements in general are what really make the difference. I don't think is one best, it takes variety of things to hit the entire core.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Compound lifts
    ab wheel
    hanging leg raises
    planks

This precisely.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I think I read an article recently that ranked ab exercises in order of most muscles recruited. The extended plank was the highest. This would also be the end position of a standing ab roll out.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Heavy squats and deadlifts are best for abs.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Ab wheels huh? Like the little wheels with the handle that your roll around on the ground? Interesting. They seem gimicy.