Stuck on 178

Options
Nickvipperman
Nickvipperman Posts: 25 Member
edited June 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
njwbnv1lav5r.jpeg
I’m stuck on 178 pounds. I’d like to be 172 for marathon training. Plus I can’t seem to shake this bottom belly fat. Any advice? I’ve been stuck for about 3 months. I stay between 177-181.

I eat pretty clean, watch my macros and run 40 miles a week for marathon training.

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Eat less and/or exercise more.

Drop your cal intake by 250 cals/day if you can. If you can't because your daily cal goal is already too low, do additional exercise to burn at least 500 more cals/day and then eat only 1/2 of that.

Might also help to change up your exercise routine, whatever it is, to require your body to respond differently. Since all you seem to do is run, try rowing and/or biking instead of or in addition to running.

Good luck.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you need to be at 172? You're asking a lot from your body while training and need to fuel it appropriately. You look awesome, so I guess I don't understand why you think you have 6 lbs to lose.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,805 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Every oz seems to add time to my running pace. 6 pounds is a lot to drop but the only way to do it is to cut your calories some. I have a friend who is world class 5K and before a race he always drops about 3 pounds so he can get his fastest times. Looking pretty good but I understand your desire to have less weight for the distance running.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey, man! Better to be stuck at 178 (like you) than stuck on stupid (like me)!

The lower abdominal fat....yes, the dreaded situation. I would suggest that the only way to get rid of that would be more diet! Meaning, more of a cut to loose more belly fat. I betcha that is just where you have stubborn fat...it is likely the first place that you gain fat and the last place you loose fat. Just genetics, man! Can't do much about that....

I used to run 13 miles five or six times a week. I was always on the Greenway in Roanoke, VA. Loved it. I get the desire for a better time. If I might....just be careful about the 98% rule and trying to get that last 2%. When I was running I was eating a lot...needed to.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eat a bit less.
    On a day or days when you aren't training rather than every day perhaps?
  • Nickvipperman
    Options
    Good advice all. Thanks.

I am trying to cut my calories a bit. I know most of the work I need to do for this is in the kitchen.

Appreciate it.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    What's your height? You do look pretty fit in the upper body and with 40 miles a week, I assume below also.
  • Nickvipperman
    Options
    6’1
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Is it truly fat or maybe some excess skin that hasn't retreated since losing weight? You look pretty trim/slim...
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Like others said, the best thing to try is simply eating less, unfortunately. We're about the same size and I was in the same boat in July/August last year; I was spinning my wheels, thinking I was doing everything right, floating around 180. The scale didn't budge until I started eating less after I realized my heart rate monitor was giving me a few too many calories and my logging wasn't as buttoned-down as I thought or needed it to be. Once I fixed those two things I dropped from 182 to 176 mid-August to mid-October, and hit 170 in January. Probably could've lost a little faster as I only averaged ~150 calorie deficit.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    6’1

I suspect you know this, but that's a 23.5 BMI; quite healthy. I am at around 24, the lowest I have had it in a long time, so I am not sure I am the best for advice but I feel like I could go back to my last deficit and it would keep moving down. It could be your running has gotten more efficient and you burn a little less.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I understand your goal for perfection. But just as an objective person, you look extremely fit already..I'd never look at you and think.. "he needs to lose that belly fat." You look perfectly fit (great job, that had to take a lot of work) ..your stomach doesn't look fat one bit.
  • KTshilombo
    KTshilombo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would say intermittent fasting and hiit are best because you maintain lean muscle to target belly fat