starting a 6 week challenge at the gym.

Options
When I first got fed up with my weight I used this website and app to lose 70 pounds. It has been about 3 or 4 years since I hit 215 pounds and I have yet to really dip far below that. I fell for one of those targeted Facebook ads for a local crossfit gym who is having a 6 week challenge. What made me choose this gym over another is the level of accountability. If I fail to hit what I consider to be a reasonable goal of losing 25 pounds I am out $500. They furnish us with a diet plan and you are required to send pictures of your weekly grocery bill so they know you are doing as you should.

Tomorrow is my official weigh in and the challenge begins June 25th. I am holding myself accountable by not purposely gaining as I enter the challenge. I am sitting at 216 which is right around the lowest I have been in a few months.

I am using this challenge as a jump start to a huge loss. At the weigh in tomorrow they will test my body fat percentage with a handheld device. They want to track lean gains along as well as weight loss. Since those devices are not known to be super accurate I got a Dex scan done today since it is the most accurate way to measure bodyfat percentage.

My results were shocking to say the least. 33.1% bodyfat.

Anyways, I will be updating this often for posterity and in case anyone was interested in what its like to be involved in one of these challenges.

One fun fact about the Dex scan. Next time I hear someone say they are "big boned" I will be able to laugh in their face. I am 5'11" and all my bones combined only weigh 7.6 pounds.

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Can you get a refund before the start date? 25 pounds is not a reasonable goal in that time period.

I didn't even take notice of how quick the weight loss needed to be. Yikes. They are not promoting long term health but I am guessing they don't want the goal to be overly achievable as they make more money that way.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Can you get a refund before the start date? 25 pounds is not a reasonable goal in that time period.

This or see if you can set a more realistic goal. Like half of your current one.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    It's scammy in the sense that they know you're probably not going to be able to lose that weight in that time. I actually think I was seeing these same ads for "local" crossfit gym challenges. I told Facebook to hide them.
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Something else that merits mention here. The other guy who was at the initial sales pitch with me was pretty lean so they tailored the challenge to his needs and his goal is to gain lean mass. Anyhoo, follow along and see how I do. I will update often with a weekly weigh in and measurements.