Splurge?

Options
I was sitting here, having my morning coffee, laughing to myself because I splurged! I had two (count them; 2!) packets of Splenda in my cup, and considered it splurging. "Hey! That's 8 calories right there."

Then, I started thinking about what "splurging" meant to me now, and realized that prior to changing my lifestyle and eating and fitness habits, did I even think about splurging, or did I just eat whatever, whenever? I don't ever remember thinking, "Oh, I'm splurging by eating this whole cheesecake over the course of a day!"

I know some talk about "cheat meals" and "cheat days" but what do people that successfully maintain healthy lifestyles consider splurging?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I consider having two packet of crisps (Tayto Prawn Cocktail 25g pack) one after the other a splurge - a whole 270 calories, shock horror LOL - my so called 'splurges' happen once or twice a month, no biggie :smiley:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't think in terms of having a splurge.

generally i work to my weekly goal, whether that's at maintenance or a deficit, and then some days (birthday, holidays, special occasions) i over eat and don't worry about it not fitting into my weekly goal.

those 'not worrying' days are probably less than once a month, as i am pretty good at fitting yummy stuff into my weekly goal (being a long distance runner helps this!)
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    A small vanilla ice cream cone from Dairy Queen once in a while.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Perhaps once every couple of months I go over my calories by 100-300 calories, usually for some special event or family visiting. Otherwise I stick to eating all my exercise calories back or being a bit below.
    However I make sure to have treats everyday whether it is a some chocolate and wine or just wine or a giant spoonful of almond butter, which I have become addicted to now :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I can't really think of anything.. usually a meal or day that doesn't even come close to hitting my protein goal. I don't feel so great about that. I would feel more comfortable going way over my TDEE vs coming way under on protein.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Every few weeks I want a "splurge" breakfast, usually after I'm coming up from a particularly stressful week of work. It's honestly less of a calorie splurge, and more of a "treat myself to breakfast" splurge since I tend to meal-prep inexpensive options. This morning was actually one of those, I had two fried eggs on a croissant and an energy drink I really like (but generally avoid). I have no guilt about it, but it was pretty much double the calories I'd normally have for breakfast. I do work in treats for myself daily, and I've been in maintenance/recomp for quite a while so I have more calories to play with. Even if I do go over a day or two I also have tons of days I'm unintentionally well under (usually on extremely active days) so I figure it balances itself out.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out at restaurants very often, so every time I do, it's a "splurge". I get whatever entree I want without worrying about the calories. Since it's only 1-2 days a month, it doesn't matter in the long run.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Once a month I save up enough macros for my ma's fried chicken and biscuits! mmmmmm!!!
    https://youtu.be/YNkQVoE1rC8
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I've been on this site for over 6 years. It's been tremendous for me in so many ways. But I've never been able to do disciplined maintenance with continued logging. I've accepted I'm either in a loss phase or I'm just cruising with what I want to eat. When I reach 5 lbs over I'm in a loss phase back to target. This cycle is once or twice a year.

Lobster rolls. Nutritionally awful, particularly with the amount of mayo and butter the put on them here. But I need them.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »
    I was sitting here, having my morning coffee, laughing to myself because I splurged! I had two (count them; 2!) packets of Splenda in my cup, and considered it splurging. "Hey! That's 8 calories right there."

Then, I started thinking about what "splurging" meant to me now, and realized that prior to changing my lifestyle and eating and fitness habits, did I even think about splurging, or did I just eat whatever, whenever? I don't ever remember thinking, "Oh, I'm splurging by eating this whole cheesecake over the course of a day!"

I know some talk about "cheat meals" and "cheat days" but what do people that successfully maintain healthy lifestyles consider splurging?

I'm currently on prep and splurging to me is not weighing or measuring my chicken, turkey, egg whites, etc. I left my food scale back in Jersey after a weekend there and had to deal with no measurements until my new one came in the mail..three days of "splurges". After my competition, my splurges will be enjoying an ice cream treat with my god son and drinking on my best friend's birthday party! Social splurges always get me. But it's part of making it a lifestyle.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Lobster rolls. Nutritionally awful, particularly with the amount of mayo and butter the put on them here. But I need them.

You and me both brother. Lobster rolls for life!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I walked over to Starbucks this very hot afternoon intending to splurge on a lite caramel Frappuccino. The barista informed me that they discontinued the lite base. So even sugar free syrup and no whipped cream, it was 300 cals. I promptly walked out and made myself a regular iced coffee.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I don't call them splurges or cheat meals or so worth it moments. I used to call it thrill eating. Every moment is a so worth moment as far as I'm concerned. New York cheesecake or homemade berry cobbler. Lasagna or lemon chicken scallopini. Spaghetti and meatballs. I having all of it in reasonable amounts. No more clean eating for me but I'm still avoiding romaine lettuce for now. Baked lasagna won't hurt you but the salad might. :p
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Whether you're splurging ("treat yo self!") with calories or money, it all hits the bottom line. You can go over your calories for the day by 3,500, sure, but then you'll need a 3,500 calorie deficit over the next couple of weeks or your weight will go up a pound. You can buy a $3,500 coat that's not in your budget, but you'll have to spend less on something else to break even for the month.
    I had a 3,200 calorie day last week and it was awesome. So I guess for me a splurge is a high-calorie day or meal that I'll adjust for later to reach my goals.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out at restaurants very often, so every time I do, it's a "splurge". I get whatever entree I want without worrying about the calories. Since it's only 1-2 days a month, it doesn't matter in the long run.

I realize I am picking nits but everything matters in the long run if you don't make CICO even out. Going over 1-2 times a month would slowly put weight on if you were dead even on all other days. I am a little obsessed, but I always work in the overage pretty quickly (within a few days).

Yeah, in theory, but I'm never dead even. I've been maintaining successfully for a few years. Some days I eat at a deficit, some days at a surplus. It seems to even out for me.