Tingling/Pins and Needles around elbow when lifting weights

Options
laurenrogers4
laurenrogers4 Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi Everyone,

A few weeks ago a started at a gym weight training, when doing certain upper body/arm exercises i get a strong tingling/pins and needles sensation shoot around my right elbow? Does anyone know what this could be?
It isn't painful at all just a strange offputting feeling!

I mainly notice it during bench press (just the 20KG bar), and bent over rows (the arm resting on the bench, not the one lifting)

Replies

• Rose18l
    Rose18l Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a pinched nerve. It should get better with rest. Have someone check your form as that is usually the cause. If the tingling doesn't go away see a doctor
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Can be many things such as carpel tunnel, to how you apply pressure holding a barbell or stabilizing off a bench, tendon inflamation etc...

If you really are concerned and plan on doing to something about it might want to see a doctor. More than likely its nothing.
  • Metalman224
    Metalman224 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your tendons are overcompensating because you might not have the muscle/strength just yet.
    Just back off the weight a bit and focus on your form as others have suggested.
    It doesn't matter how much you can lift if you have poor form.
    Work on volume training. I. E. You can achieve the same amount of weight moved with twice the reps and half the weight.
    Rather than 3 sets of 20kg you can do 6 sets of 10kg. The same amount of work has been done but your muscles have actually spent more time under tension which actually stimulates muscle growth more. And more than likely you won't suffer the tingling/numbness.
    I had pretty much the same problem when I first started lifting. Too heavy too quick and poor form. Unfortunately no one told me that I was putting too much stress on my joints and tendons.
    Try the above, go slow, perfect your form and advance slowly but surely.
    Hope this helps.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I had that issue when I was doing weight class a while ago, but in my wrists. It was horrible!
    My trainer suggested that among other things, it could be my form- she watched me and said that I was bending my wrists too much, and they should have been straighter.
    Can you get a trainer to check your form, to see if that could help?