Hard to Hit Macro %

Options
Hello,

I've been logging every day for 5 weeks now, losing weight slowly and trying to eat sensibly instead of always skipping meals in the week and binging on weekdays like I used to! I'm slowly upping my exercise, trying to do simple bodyweight exercises every other day to up my strength and this week I've just started jogging a little bit, I'm going to aim to do this 2-3 times a week.

I'm trying to aim for around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. 1750 calories per day.

I'm finding this hard to hit! If I manage to get my protein up to closer to 30%, it seems to push my fat up really high as well.

I don't like to eat too much meat in my diet, and so I've been eating things like nuts, low fat cottage cheese, eggs, low fat yoghurt for protein - as well as fish and meat in regular amounts - just not loads of it.

I'm definitely eating more protein than I used to but I'm not sure if it is really that important... I suppose my question is really - does hitting these macro percentages actually matter that much? Is there a minimum amount of protein I should be getting?

My diary is open so feel free to have a peek.

Replies

• MrBecky
    MrBecky Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't think those macros are right, Becky, particularly with calcium, for example. I'm a senior woman and need more calcium during the day than they list, much more, should have a minimum of 1200 mg of calcium, and I'm not sure about the protein, but it seems to me their protein count is low. I don't eat a lot of meat myself and probably don't get enough protein so I'm usually under, anyhow, but I've been thinking of going to another site to get the right daily allowances for a 1200 calorie diet. It's true that protein is usually accompanied by fat. There's a lot of fat in nuts and avocados, for example, but a lot of fat is good fat, and it looks to me as though MFP emphasizes carbs and not fat or protein so much, which is sort of the opposite of what I myself need for weight loss.

I don't know if I've answered your question, but I don't think the macros are tailored very specifically for an individual and you might be better advised to see a sports physician or fitness coach in real life to get some idea of what nutrients your specific body needs, and to keep healthy while losing weight. I can't lose weight on more than 1200 cal per day, but I'm not as active nor as young as you probably are.

Also, I know you must be aware that you can set which macros you want them to list, and also can set your weight goals. But as for % I think MFP has control over that, and it's such a general sort of thing across the board that I think myself it's meaningless. Someone else might have a different idea?
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm on 40/30/30 and getting a bit closer to hitting them, if I get over 100g protein I am happy :smile: I will friend you and then you can check out my diary
  • MrBecky
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I'm not following the MFP suggested macros, I read on the 'In Place of a Road Map' thread that the 40/30/30 thing is a good split so manually changed my goals to that.

Does anyone know if there is a minimum amount of protein I should be getting? And if hitting 40/30/30 is really going to help my weight loss or should I just not worry about it and eat healthily in the way that suits me...
  • beachboy12
    beachboy12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb for protein is 1gm per pound of body weight (even more if you are muscle building). So if you weigh 150lbs you would need 150gms of protein a day.
    This is to ensure you don't catabolize your muscle while dieting away your fat. Also, protein has a thermogenic effect because the body has to work harder to digest it..
    Get your protein from lean sources of beef, chicken, turkey, fish and eggs. Nuts, cheeses and plant based proteins are not only loaded with fat but are "incomplete" proteins and not as effective at maintaining or building muscle.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Have you thought about supplementing with a protein powder? Most will give you around 20g protein and average between 100-150 cals per scoop. It will boost your protein intake, but not overdo the fat macros as well.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I'm not following the MFP suggested macros, I read on the 'In Place of a Road Map' thread that the 40/30/30 thing is a good split so manually changed my goals to that.

Does anyone know if there is a minimum amount of protein I should be getting? And if hitting 40/30/30 is really going to help my weight loss or should I just not worry about it and eat healthily in the way that suits me...

Different strokes...just find something that you can stick with and go from there. I am an IIFYM kinda girl as that means nothing is really not allowed
  • MrBecky
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Different strokes...just find something that you can stick with and go from there. I am an IIFYM kinda girl as that means nothing is really not allowed

Brilliant, thanks! Just checked out IIFYM and did the calculator, which tells me I should be eating 1887 calories a day,
    45% carbs, 35% protein and 20% fat. Have changed my goals and I think to get the protein up I will just get myself some protein shake otherwise I will have to spend a fortune on meat!!