how long to start losing weight?

Options
Hi everyone

I'm into my 4th week on MFP and I've religiously logged everything I've eaten and what exercise I've done. My diary is open anyone wants a look (any feedback is gratefully received).

In my first week I lost 5lbs which I was really pleased with, however, since then, I've stayed the same. I currently weigh 12 stone 5. I would like to lose a stone and half by the end of November as I'm getting married but I don't seem to have any movement at all.

I understand that as I'm doing much more exercise, the fat may be turning to muscle as I can see a difference in my legs for sure. I'm not going to give up and go back to my previous bad habits of stuffing my face with rubbish, but I just wondered if anyone else had been through similar and if so, how long before I see a difference in the scales.

Since last week, I've not got on the scales and am determined not to for a few weeks as it makes me feel annoyed that nothing is changing. I took my measurements this week, so will look at them again in a month to see if anything has changed.

thanks everyone!!!

Edit: I started on 1200 calories a day as this was recommended by MFP, but upped it to 1800 as I'm doing lots of exercise and after advice on MFP. I must admit, I struggle to have all of these calories and my exercise calories too!

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    In my first week I lost 5lbs which I was really pleased with

Well done! Fine work.
    I understand that as I'm doing much more exercise, the fat may be turning to muscle

It isn't. They're two separate things that happen to occupy similar spaces. It would be like skin turning to hair.
    I'm not going to give up and go back to my previous bad habits of stuffing my face with rubbish

Good.
    but I just wondered if anyone else had been through similar and if so, how long before I see a difference in the scales.

Most of us at some point or other. Your plateau came a bit quick, granted. Different people deal in different ways. If I get a sticking point for a few weeks I eat like a glutton for a few days, gain a few lbs, then go back to exactly what I was doing before and lose both the weight I gained and some more beside and get past that sticking point. Doesn't work for everyone, but always seems to for me. Mix it up, trial and error. Try adjusting your macro levels, something will work, but it's different for everyone. If there were a universal answer to plateau breaking then we'd all find this much easier!

And stop using the scale as a goal. It isn't.
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know it's not the proper thing to ask, but we need height, weight, and age at least to try and give helpful advice. :-)
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Don't just measure, bust, waist and hips, do you legs and arms too - you have probably lost a lot more inches than you realise. Good luck
  • NicksWTB
    NicksWTB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 173 lbs and 43 years young :-)

I took my measurements on Sunday but I don't have them with me - I measured my chest, waist, hips and thighs.

thanks for the advice so far, it's really helpful.

Previous to joining MFP I was 184lbs but lost 6lbs and then joined MFP and lost a further 5lbs.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Don't just measure, bust, waist and hips, do you legs and arms too - you have probably lost a lot more inches than you realise. Good luck

Agree with this.
    Include neck, bust, directly under bust, dominant upper arm, dominant wrist, waist, hips, dominant thigh, dominant calf,
    You can add the extras in. under the check-in tab.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Try eating back your exercise calories. I know it seems odd to eat more to lose weight, but you don't have a lot to lose so you don't need an aggressive deficit. I would start off eating back 50%, as if you are basing it on MFP calorie burns it can overestimate. Try that for at least a month and see how it goes.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Fat does not turn into muscle!