Does watching the food network make you hungry?

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited June 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I can seriously go to a buffet and then watch the food network and feel like I'm starving, it's pathetic lol! However I love the food network, Ive learned a lot of great cooking techniques and my own home cooking has greatly improved since I've been tuned in... I'd love to be able to just watch it, gain the tips and tricks and not feel hungry lol! My favorites are chopped, beat bobby flay, and the pioneer woman what about y'all?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I watch Triple D and pretend I'm Guy as he goes in for every enormous bite with food all over his face.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    My main trigger for "makes me hungry" seems to be smell. I've been watching street food on YouTube with no hunger-inducing problem.

I used to watch a lot of Food Network but I don't like the competitions and so many of the cooking shows are more about the chef than the food.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    I watch Triple D and pretend I'm Guy as he goes in for every enormous bite with food all over his face.

Lol guy is hilarious, love him!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Not really. But for some reason a character on a TV show can eat something and I want it. Watching old Columbo re-runs inevitably makes me want some chili.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Nope...loads of good ideas though
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It depends. If I am super full I can't handle it especially the Diners and Drives one. But if I'm hungry shows like Iron Chef will get my appetite going. .. or anything Italian.. yoooom
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    I enjoy diner and drives also. I also critique portion sizes lol. I enjoy master chef but it's more about the competition so only makes me hungry half the time lol
  • StopTheGroundhog
    StopTheGroundhog Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    So does watching BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel 4, Sky News....
    ...you get the picture.

Watching TV makes me hungry in general.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I don't have cable so I don't watch the Food Network.
    I do watch it sometimes when I am at the gym though. I love getting new ideas, but it doesn't make me hungry.
    I watch the cooking shows on PBS all the time. My favorite is "The Great British Baking Show", love Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I haven't watched Food Network since it became infested with Guy Fieri. Supposedly they're going to have a reboot of Good Eats, though. I'd watch that.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I can seriously go to a buffet and then watch the food network and feel like I'm starving, it's pathetic lol! However I love the food network, Ive learned a lot of great cooking techniques and my own home cooking has greatly improved since I've been tuned in... I'd love to be able to just watch it, gain the tips and tricks and not feel hungry lol! My favorites are chopped, beat bobby flay, and the pioneer woman what about y'all?

DEFINITELY! I can't watch chopped or great British baking show unless I'm full. And not somewhat full, but I probably didn't need that other square of chocolate full. Pinterest makes me hungry too.
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like reality competitions so I’ve been watching Zumbo’s Just Desserts on Netflix and I’m not even a huge sweets person but whew do I crave whatever chocolatey caramel cheesecake concoction they’ve come up whenever I’m binge watching. Had to stock up on Skinny Cow ice cream for emergencies because of that show specifically 🤔
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nope...loads of good ideas though

This :+1:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I haven't watched Food Network since it became infested with Guy Fieri. Supposedly they're going to have a reboot of Good Eats, though. I'd watch that.

I'm happy to read that. I think my daughter would like it.

In answer to the OP, not usually. I'm an extremely simple eater, in that I tend to prefer grilled/roast meat with little seasoning and no sauce and certainly no cheese, plain raw veggies, etc. I think it's interesting to watch some of the Food Network shows but the food tends to have more sauces/mixed up flavors than I like. It gives me a stomach ache thinking about eating it.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Not really. But for some reason a character on a TV show can eat something and I want it. Watching old Columbo re-runs inevitably makes me want some chili.

Oddly enough this happens to me with anime (it's not even real food!). But I looooooove Japanese food so maybe that's why. :D
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    When my gym used to have big common-area TVs, I would always switch one to Food Network to watch Chopped while I worked out. I always wondered if that was mean to my fellow gym-goers.

I love Chopped, but hate HATE haaaaatttteeeee that Pioneer Woman. "Lets make lunch for the boys who are working in the fields". STFU lady, I think they can make their own damn sandwich. Like we're in the 1950s....

B) When my family comes over and turns on PW, I pitch a fit like a wildcat. I cannot even, I cannot, I will not watch it. Yuck, I need a bucket.

'I live out in the middle of nowhere', doesn't know what or where the middle of nowhere really is, so just SThailUP already. As for me and my house, I have some authentic pioneer women in my ancestry. True grit, not serving food around some long fancy schmancy dining room table eating Dump Cake.
  • IMintraining
    IMintraining Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not Food Network, but still a cooking show: Top Chef. I can't watch it for more than 5 mins. without opening a bottle of wine and making appetizers.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't watch cooking shows that often but I don't remember being hungry because of them.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Seriously, Guy Fieri ruined Food Network. He doesn’t even cook and Diners Drive ins and Dives is barely half a step up from Man vs. Food.

Cooking shows definitely make me hungry so I avoid them. Chopped is good sometimes but only because what they make rarely sounds appetizing, lol.