Why and when is protein important?

trey52424
trey52424 Posts: 24 Member
I am currently bulking and trying to increase my protein intake but its come to my attention that I shouldnt be as concerned with how much protein I'm taking in as compared to when im on a cut?🤔 is this true? Should I not be caring how much protein I'm getting right now? Only when im shredding?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    trey52424 wrote: »
    I am currently bulking and trying to increase my protein intake but its come to my attention that I shouldnt be as concerned with how much protein I'm taking in as compared to when im on a cut?🤔 is this true? Should I not be caring how much protein I'm getting right now? Only when im shredding?

Protein is equally important is your goal is to build muscle, since muscle is made up of proteins. In general .8-1.2g/lb is a good goal.for bulking, equally for cutting.
  • trey52424
    psuLemon wrote: »

Protein is equally important is your goal is to build muscle, since muscle is made up of proteins. In general .8-1.2g/lb is a good goal.for bulking, equally for cutting.

Oh thank you so much!!😆
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited June 2018
    Protein is an essential macronutrient, we can’t naturally produce it. Our body can pull amino acids from our lean mass, but that’s not too healthy.

A maximum of 0.8g / 1lb of body weight is all that’s required, but unless you have any pre-existing kidney issue you can eat as much over that as you wish!

When you are shredding it would be advisable to increase your intake of protein.
  • trey52424
    Is there a way to calculate how much protein i should be intaking?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Is there a way to calculate how much protein i should be intaking?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1