Running shoe costs, is it worth it?

Options
124»

Replies

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    These are Mizuno Wave Inspire 14. I overpronate, and I noticed that when I wore these, I didn't end up with lower-leg pain like I had before, so I'm really happy with them. In the last month or two I'm noticing "squish marks" along the heel, BUT, they're not all on the inside, which makes me think the shoes really are what made the difference. So I'm really happy with them... but I'm also already working a second job to try to help pay for my masters degree and those "save an easy $200 a month by giving up your daily $5 coffee!" articles are ridiculous. That's like saying I can save half a million dollars by NOT buying a Ferrari.

Anyway, sorry, tangential rant over, I promise. ;)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    These are Mizuno Wave Inspire 14. I overpronate, and I noticed that when I wore these, I didn't end up with lower-leg pain like I had before, so I'm really happy with them. In the last month or two I'm noticing "squish marks" along the heel, BUT, they're not all on the inside, which makes me think the shoes really are what made the difference. So I'm really happy with them... but I'm also already working a second job to try to help pay for my masters degree and those "save an easy $200 a month by giving up your daily $5 coffee!" articles are ridiculous. That's like saying I can save half a million dollars by NOT buying a Ferrari.

give it a couple of months when the Wave Inspire 15's come out and then you'll be able to get the 14's for cheaper - right now, i'm seeing them pretty much only in the $130 range
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Coming into this late and, admittedly, not reading most of the responses...

Most people don't need an expensive shoe. Everyone needs a reasonably-well fitting shoe (how reasonable is reasonable depends on the person). A well fitting shoe doesn't have to be expensive, but some people prefer an expensive shoe.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I always end up buying at least 2 generations below what is out currently and can save quite a bit at New Balance doing that. I also buy special foot inserts which I change out more frequently than my shoes so I would let my running shoes go more than 6 months before buying new ones when I was running frequently. Although you probably not supposed to do that, but as a cheapy college kid that was what I could afford at the time.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

give it a couple of months when the Wave Inspire 15's come out and then you'll be able to get the 14's for cheaper - right now, i'm seeing them pretty much only in the $130 range

Get to know when new models come out and what the sale patterns are. pick up 2-3 pairs when they hit bottom, and you'll be good for a year or 18 months. I normally visit my shoe store about every other year, and between I pick up pairs when they rotate model years.

Sometimes you can run this for another year and get the 15s when they go down. Got to be careful though, because every so often something will change between model years and next years won't quite be right.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes. Before doing it myself, I wouldn't have thought so. However, I decided to be cheap and get new gym shoes the less expensive way this time around and am regretting it. What a waste. These will become everyday shoes and I'm going to go get fitted for some nicer running shoes. BUT, my expensive shoes were around $120, so maybe you should try switching brands. It's likely you can find less expensive high end shoes that will still work very well.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Got to be careful though, because every so often something will change between model years and next years won't quite be right.

True, BUT, you run that same risk even if you're NOT always a year behind. Arguably more so, because if you stay a year behind you can read up on reviews and hopefully there will be a bunch of other people saying "hey what happened!"
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Got to be careful though, because every so often something will change between model years and next years won't quite be right.

True, BUT, you run that same risk even if you're NOT always a year behind. Arguably more so, because if you stay a year behind you can read up on reviews and hopefully there will be a bunch of other people saying "hey what happened!"

Not familiar with the brand, but the 12s are on sale.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/mizuno-womens-wave-inspire-12-running-shoes-15mizwwvnspr12blkrnn/15mizwwvnspr12blkrnn