Cancer survivors

Options
jaena4
jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
So, now that I've dealt with breast cancer, losing weight isn't as much about looking good (although, hey, it's still nice). I really want to get to a healthy BMI (and I've got a ways to go still) to be as healthy as possible.

Anyone else dealing with medical stuff as a motivation for weight loss/exercise? If so, feel free to friend me!

Replies

• hayleylouise9699
    hayleylouise9699 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi I had BC two years ago went though lots of treatment and surgery. I found it extremely hard to shift the chemo weight. Feel free to add me xx
  • av_2905
    av_2905 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had to deal with round cell sarcoma about 2 years ago. Luckily, I got out of it without needing chemo, but I needed multiple surgeries on my left leg to clear the tumors. Dealing with that was really a wake up call, and it does motivate me to become better and fitter.
  • jaena4
    Options
    Thanks for replying - I sent you both friend requests :) Cancer sucks.
  • Seabeliever12
    Seabeliever12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thyroid Cancer Survivor here. If we can kick Cancer’s butt I am confident we can shrink ours 😂
  • jaena4
    Options
    LOL - great point Seabeliever!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Thyroid cancer survivor. Just finished a Spartan Super on Sat and followed up with a Sprint on Sunday. I'm humbled by the Oscar Mike team and the number of disabled vets completing the course.

eff cancer.

There's an interesting anomaly in the data where an unusually large percentage of cancer survivors go on to become elite level performers - athletes, artists, businessmen, etc. Almost as if it acts as a very real reminder that life is short, precious, and not to be wasted.
  • sue_01
    sue_01 Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I have had a brain tumour removed, I am going to radiation, in two hours I am starting, Mon.-Fri. for 6 weeks. I have my countdown on my phone. I feel very strong. Nervous about side effects.
  • jaena4
    Options
    WowCSARdiver - I didn't know that about cancer survivors - very intesting! Eff cancer for sure. Completely sucks!

Sue - Stay strong!! I volunteer drive for the American Cancer Society and I take lots of folks to radiation. It's trying and grueling, but you can totally do it! The lady I drove today said she's tired but really feels pretty ok.

I've sent both of you friend requests :)
  • ChangePossible
    ChangePossible Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thyroid cancer here, I did only need surgery, so I feel fortunate, but I did stress eat through most of it and gained 18 lbs. I've gone plant based starting a month ago and am learning my body and how to lose weight again... add me! I'd love to be friends.
  • MrsDaso
    MrsDaso Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Stage three ovarian cancer survivor.. up until my diagnosis last year I had lost 95lb. Chemo and steroids...lots and lots of steroids... means I have gained 40lb and look awful. But I got the all clear in March...so if I can kick cancers butt.. losing the weight should be easy...I hope xx
  • jaena4
    Options
    Mahsa and MrsDaso - my mom had thyroid cancer 30 years ago (also only needed surgery) and currently is fighting ovarian cancer. She's had the same experience with all the steroids MrsDaso - it's really tough :( But, hey, we beat cancer so I'm sure we can use that strength to get stronger and more fit too :)
  • Chocolatefly
    Chocolatefly Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Bilateral breast cancer diagnosis a year ago. Bilateral mastectomies, 6 months of chemo (complete in February) and started anastrozole aromatase inhibitor and gained weight instantly. Expander surgery April 2018. Working on loving that the anastrozole is keeping cancer away while fighting the hormone suppression therapy side effects and exercise training for future reconstruction surgeries coming up.