Best Nutrition for Insulin Resistance Weight Loss

Options
Begging for help battling weight gain made worse by Insulin resistance.

Replies

• dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was put on a ketogenic diet by my doctor as I was showing insulin resistance and close to type 2 diabetes. This way of eating is not for everyone but has worked for me. I have also been medically supervised for the 8 months I have been eating this way.

As Lillymoo01 says seek guidance from the professionals before starting on any diet.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    pkilbour wrote: »
    Standard disclaimer about seeing a doctor/dietician, one that specializes in this if at all possible. Now, pretty much all the experimental research I've read points to a ketogenic diet, with a specific exception for low glycemic index vegan diets (which I would personally find much harder to adhere to, but to each their own). Intermittent fasting has also some pretty positive effects, so long as the fast aren't being broken with high GI foods. Sleep patterns also have a measurable impact.

Less clear are some of the other connections, but a few are, get more exercise, Omega-3s, vitamin D

Actually increasing exercise and losing weight are the 2 biggest factors from what I have read. As I said earlier best to seek advice from professionals because there is so much conflicting information and when it comes to your health you want the most accurate advice possible.
  • pkilbour
    pkilbour Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Those connections are less clear from a causal standpoint. And weight loss was implied, given the OP's post was about weight loss.

And I agree about seeing a pro that specializes in IR, why, I even said so in my last post.
  • pkilbour
    pkilbour Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    To clarify, I'm referring to how the data is collected (experimental vs survey) and the ability to draw conclusions from it.
  • OblasMummy
    OblasMummy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The best diet is a sustainable one that will help you to stabilise blood sugar. I’m in the UK and have had GD (Gestational Diabetes) three times and now I’m pre diabetic. The advice here is old and outdated from the NHS, but they are making strives to change and begin to recommend a lower carb diet. Lower carb does not mean Keto but you can try it if you’d like. The only advice I’d give is never eat a naked carb (e.g. if you eat an apple add cheese, nuts or peanut butter) the fat and protein slow down the release of the sugars from the carb. Also if you can never double carb (have pasta or garlic bread not both, an open sandwich). It’s most likely that you would be more insulin resistant first thing in the morning so I personally have a carb free breakfast. Get advice but also do your own research.
  • LyfeCh4ng3z
    LyfeCh4ng3z Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    to clarify i am on a strict diet my dr just put me on, im asking for tips and tricks to keep me from hitting a platteau