College Lunch Solutions Needed!

Options
Filling college lunch ideas?

One of my school days in the fall semester is going to be from 6am to 9pm. I don't want to eat on campus because it's expensive. I do have access to a microwave.

Problems:
-Will be in a bag for 6-7 hours.
-Can't keep it cold: I had a insulated lunch box with 2 ice packs but the food never stayed cold for more than 3 hours.
-No nuts. Not allergic but just not a fan.

Anything helps. Thanks!

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd probably bring a raw potato, a bowl and fork, and a can of chili. Nuke the potato, top with the chili, and I'd have a hearty meal that could keep me going for hours. Since you're there so long, I'd also bring an apple, some kind of protein/granola bar, and maybe a pickle or some olives (probably the olives for me as I tend to find fat satiating.)
  • gonaturalbody
    gonaturalbody Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    These are the kinds of foods I used to eat when I attended university.
    Steamed vegetables for breakfast/ lunch and can be held in a container.
    Boiled eggs 2-3.
    Celery and humus(1 tablespoon) / mini rice crackers with hummus (1 tablespoon)
    Lentils and rice (spice it up)
    Chicken prepared a day before/ take a can of tuna with you to mix with a previously prepared salad (lettuce etc.)
    1 banana

It's quite difficult especially because your brain uses up a lot of glucose...

Hope u find something that works! Goodluck

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    For work, I bring an insulated bag with an ice pack (food does not have to stay cold -- just cooler than the outside air) of soup or garbanzo beans or fruit or cheese sandwich.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much food you need, but I'd bring essentially, an entire day. You can bring food that needs to be cold, just eat that earlier in the day before it gets a chance to get warm.

Easy meals -
    potato, canned green beans, pre-cooked chicken (microwave and eat)
    hummus, spinach, sprouts, onion and bell peppers on a sandwich roll
    can of vegetable soup, 2 hardboiled eggs, and crackers
    bagel and cream cheese, with a side salad
    raw broccoli, black beans, pinto beans, corn and salsa (microwave), pre-cooked chicken

Or, you could bring food like I do. I bring a bunch of "snack" foods and combine them when I'm hungry.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Amy’s soups have a pull tab so you won’t have to carry a can opener. You could definitely get a better lunch box/freezer pack imo. Nutrient dense purse items protein bars, jerky, peanut butter packs like Justin’s and bring an apple. I think siggi makes yogurt tubes, toss them in your freezer and then you have a tasty, cold, high protein snack several hours later.
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I love string cheese as a snack. I'm a little weird, but I actually like the way it tastes when it's a little warm. It's vacuum sealed, so I wouldn't worry if it wasn't super cold. I also love to bring baby carrots or celery to snack on, any kind of fruit, sunflower or pumpkin seeds, air-popped popcorn, rice crackers. Hope these ideas help, and good luck with college! :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm a professor, and I also don't eat on campus if I can help it. (Let's face it, no one really wants to eat in the cafeteria if they can help it.) Here is what I do:

- lots of meal planning. I plan not only my dinners but also how many leftover portions each one makes. On weekends or evenings when you aren't on campus, cook your meals and portion them into individual boxes.
    - eat a high protein, high fiber breakfast. Bring it with you to campus if you need to. Most professors don't care if you eat in class, as long as you're not making a mess or bothering anyone, but check your sylllabi to see if they have any specific policies.
    - bring a reusable water bottle (many campuses have water bottle refilling fountains) and a big reusable mug for my tea (which also gets me discounted tea refills on campus)
    - bring dinner leftovers for lunch. I would strongly recommend investing in a better lunch bag if yours doesn't keep stuff cold enough, but no lunch bag is going to keep things as cold as a refrigerator. Still, I haven't had any problems with food poisoning...yet. I also keep a little travel cutlery set in my bag so I won't have to worry about forgetting my fork.
    - keep mostly high protein snacks in my bag and desk: low calorie protein bars, jerky, granola bars, little individually wrapped chocolates. If I forget my lunch, I have a protein bar.

No lunch bag is going to keep things cold from 6 am until dinner time, so eat the cold stuff for lunch. For dinner, you need foods that are stable at room temperature: fruit and veggies, canned entrees, etc. With an ice pack or two, you can also probably get away with bringing something frozen for dinner. It will definitely have thawed by the time you eat it, but it should still be cold. Wash the bowl you brought your lunch in and use it for dinner.

Also: if you happen to have a job on campus and someone in that department happens to have a refrigerator, ask if you can use it. And if you have any time or interest in the various evening events that happen on college campuses, there's usually free food to be found...not necessarily the healthiest food, but hey, it's free.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Filling college lunch ideas?

One of my school days in the fall semester is going to be from 6am to 9pm. I don't want to eat on campus because it's expensive. I do have access to a microwave.

Problems:
    -Will be in a bag for 6-7 hours.
    -Can't keep it cold: I had a insulated lunch box with 2 ice packs but the food never stayed cold for more than 3 hours.
    -No nuts. Not allergic but just not a fan.

Anything helps. Thanks!

Raw vegetables to eat raw or microwave
    Raw fruits
    Hummus
    Rice and beans
    Tortillas, bread, pita bread, bagel
    Canned foods- soup, stew, canned vegerables, canned fruit, canned chicken or tuna, canned beans, refried beans
    Muffins
    Granola bars
    Pretzels
    Dried fruit
    Wasabi peas
    Instant oatmeal packets
    Salad, vinaigrette dressing in seperate container
    Nut butters, sunflower butter
    Canned milk, powdered milk
    Microwave mac and cheese cups
    Microwavable rice cups
    Beef jerky
    Cereal
    Hard cheeses
    Yogurt- freeze before you pack it
    Homemade cooked meals- freeze individual portions and pack in insulated bag with ice packs. Heat in microwave.

http://www.columbusparent.com/content/stories/2011/02/23/ntk-the-go-to-guide-school-lunches.html
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/packages/recipes-for-kids/back-to-school/locker-friendly-foods-for-your-kids--or-your--lunchbox?soc=sitesocialpinterest&crlt.pid=camp.O0DlUjCuYKx7#item-7
    http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=11463