Options
2»

Replies

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    armymil87 wrote: »
    chekqued wrote: »
    the keto diet is one of the worst diets i've ever tried in my life. all seems well during the two weeks or so but then it's all downhill from there. not being able to eat fresh fruits and simple wholesome foods like rice and bread is really depressing AND (more than likely) unhealthy. all those animal products day in and day out cannot be good for you. my weight loss advice would be to limit consuming animal products (meat, eggs, milk) and processed foods, and to just eat fresh fruits and vegetables and wholegrains and count calories and exercise 4-5 days per week.

I’m sorry that the Keto Diet didn’t work out for you. However, I don’t think you fully understand how Keto works and what you can and cannot eat. Also, it seems to me you prefer more of a vegetarian lifestyle instead.

Rice, bread and many fresh fruits are all pretty much non-existent or severely limited in a keto diet.

There’s no such thing as fruit you can’t eat on keto; there are just some you can eat more of than others. I have fresh fruit daily on keto, usually more than once. And while it’s true that bread isn’t usually worth the effort, I’ll sometimes add a couple of tablespoons of cooked rice or barley to a salad for texture and variety.

Once you get the hang of keto you can eat just about anything, so long as you’re mindful of proportions and pairings.

That's like saying you can eat bacon and butter on a very low fat diet.

You can; you’d just have to stick to a serving or so per day. It may turn out that you would rather reserve your allotment of fat for other things, but “very low fat” still just isn’t the same as “not allowed bacon.”
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    the keto diet is one of the worst diets i've ever tried in my life. all seems well during the two weeks or so but then it's all downhill from there. not being able to eat fresh fruits and simple wholesome foods like rice and bread is really depressing AND (more than likely) unhealthy. all those animal products day in and day out cannot be good for you. my weight loss advice would be to limit consuming animal products (meat, eggs, milk) and processed foods, and to just eat fresh fruits and vegetables and wholegrains and count calories and exercise 4-5 days per week.

I’m sorry that the Keto Diet didn’t work out for you. However, I don’t think you fully understand how Keto works and what you can and cannot eat. Also, it seems to me you prefer more of a vegetarian lifestyle instead.

Rice, bread and many fresh fruits are all pretty much non-existent or severely limited in a keto diet.

There’s no such thing as fruit you can’t eat on keto; there are just some you can eat more of than others. I have fresh fruit daily on keto, usually more than once. And while it’s true that bread isn’t usually worth the effort, I’ll sometimes add a couple of tablespoons of cooked rice or barley to a salad for texture and variety.

Once you get the hang of keto you can eat just about anything, so long as you’re mindful of proportions and pairings.

You can; you’d just have to stick to a serving or so per day. It may turn out that you would rather reserve your allotment of fat for other things, but “very low fat” still just isn’t the same as “not allowed bacon.”

So it's basically semantics. You can technically have anything on any diet, but in practice and reality you can't.

When I did keto and all I could think about was oatmeal, between trace carbs and vegetables, I technically could make myself a teaspoonful of oatmeal if I cut my vegetable intake even lower than the low I had to go, but would I really be having oatmeal?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Been on Keto for 6months now. Lost over 25kgs. I started with no sugar diet then low cabs then Atkins and then keto. Tried IF and OMAD as well. My takeaway : BE CAUTIOUS OF WHAT YOU EAT, HOW MUCH YOU EAT AND ENJOY WHAT YOU EAT. DON'T PUT ANYTHING IN MOUTH IF YOU CAN'T ENJOY IT.

Now a days I eat 3 keto meals per day. Per meal P:20-24gms F:30-40gms and net C:10-15gms from green veggies (3-4cups).

This is my 3rd body transformation journey. Lost BF 35% to 17% in 1 year with workout only once or twice a week. .

Corrected few conditions like Metabolic syndrome, hyperglucose, low thyroid, high BP and low BP, Insulin resistance, water retention in feet, High uric acid, high LDL and triglycerides, fatty liver.

many of those health issues can be reversed just by losing weightI dont know how you had a high and low blood pressure tough,as for low thyroid do you mean hyperthyroid or hypothyroid? and how do you know its corrected?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

So it's basically semantics. You can technically have anything on any diet, but in practice and reality you can't.

When I did keto and all I could think about was oatmeal, between trace carbs and vegetables, I technically could make myself a teaspoonful of oatmeal if I cut my vegetable intake even lower than the low I had to go, but would I really be having oatmeal?

I don’t think the difference between “can” and “can’t” actually is semantic, no. There are plenty of diets out there that prohibit certain foods, and keto is not one of them.

If you just don’t ever want to go without a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast then keto probably isn’t going to be for you, and that’s fine. But a serving of oatmeal is about 27g of carbs (23 net), and I stay in ketosis with total carbs in the 60s all the time. I could eat a bowl of oatmeal daily; I just don’t because that’s not how I want to “spend” my carbs. It’s not semantic to say that a diet in which you’re unlikely to choose a certain food is different from a diet in which you “can’t” eat it.

You can eat anything you want; just not everything you want, all at once. Which is kind of like any calorie-restricted diet, actually.

When someone says they want to eat rice, bread, fruits..etc and you say "well, you can still eat them", do you really think they mean a bite of bread or a few grams of rice? The argument was that these foods are severely limited to non-existent on this diet due to practical considerations. I don't know what you're trying to argue.

If they mean they want those things to comprise a majority of their diet, I’d advise them against keto. If they mean they want to be able to eat as much of those things as they want as often as they want, I’d advise them not to expect to lose weight, keto or not. And if they are interested in trying keto and have been put off by people saying “It’s no good; you can’t eat any fruit!” I’d advise them not to listen to those people.

That's fair enough.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Calling BS on that - Blueberries!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

I don’t think the difference between “can” and “can’t” actually is semantic, no. There are plenty of diets out there that prohibit certain foods, and keto is not one of them.

If you just don’t ever want to go without a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast then keto probably isn’t going to be for you, and that’s fine. But a serving of oatmeal is about 27g of carbs (23 net), and I stay in ketosis with total carbs in the 60s all the time. I could eat a bowl of oatmeal daily; I just don’t because that’s not how I want to “spend” my carbs. It’s not semantic to say that a diet in which you’re unlikely to choose a certain food is different from a diet in which you “can’t” eat it.

You can eat anything you want; just not everything you want, all at once. Which is kind of like any calorie-restricted diet, actually.

Yeah, keto doesn't prohibit anything! I can still have Snickers!
    ... Like, one.
    ... And I'd be limited to only meat and oils for the rest of the day because that alone makes up your entire carb allowance.
    But I totally could!
    Come on, technically allowed because carb allowance is > 0 doesn't mean it's in any form applicable.
    Like, yeah right I'm gonna have a bite of a brownie for my whole carbs, or one piece of toast.

You could have that snickers if you wanted. One could even go off plan for a meal or a day. Or one could do TKD or CKD. If you want that snickers or toast, you can make it fit. IMO, the only time that's a bad idea is if you have a health condition that requires low carbs or higher ketones or if that carb laden food is a trigger food for overeating.

Ketosis is under 50g of (net) carbs for most people. That's room for more than a bite of brownie or one piece of toast. And yes, other carbs may need to be limited then.

Conversely, consider why anybody would want to limit their fats so much that they can't fit in a fathead pizza, or put avocado, bacon and mayo on their two burger patties for dinner.

Like, yeah right, I'm gonna have a teaspoon of 1%milk for my fats in my coffee when I could have a dollop of whipped cream instead,
    ;)