Do you eat the calories you burn or stick with your original calorie consumption?

LaurTucker
LaurTucker Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I know it’s a silly question ..... maybe! But I do orangetheory and burn about 600+ calories. Do I eat those calories or stick with my original 1200 calorie goal. Thanks in advance

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    MFP gives you a deficit before exercise, so you should eat them back so you are not under eating. this of course works on the basis of you having an accurate calorie burn, so you may want to start with 50-75% of them.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    When I was intially losing I ate back at least 50% as I wasn’t 100% sure of the estimated burn. I already had my calories at 1200 (I’m barely 5’1”) so didn’t want net below 1200 if possible.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Definitely, eat most of them back until you are better at estimating the workout calories. If you eat 100% back and don't lose after a couple of weeks you can cut down on the amount logged for the exercise OR cut down on the amount you eat back. If you are losing too fast, experiencing underfueling symptoms then bump up the amount you eat or how much you log for the exercise.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I fuel my fitness
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    kballsocc wrote: »
    Definitely, eat most of them back until you are better at estimating the workout calories. If you eat 100% back and don't lose after a couple of weeks you can cut down on the amount logged for the exercise OR cut down on the amount you eat back. If you are losing too fast, experiencing underfueling symptoms then bump up the amount you eat or how much you log for the exercise.

This. You'll have to experiment with how much you eat back. You don't want to underfuel, that will make you weak and cranky and more likely to overeat in the long run. I know on days I lift, I need more protein, and days I run, I need more calories from carbs. It's a lot of trial and error to find the balance of having a calorie deficit to lose weight, but not being "hangry."
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,223 Member
    You definitely want to make sure you're properly fueling your workouts. FWIW I found my Polar H7 Heart Rate monitor to give too many workout calories using UA Record when compared to my observed weight loss. The caloric impact of my workouts is only about 60% of what was being "measured", YMMV. Like @TavistockToad suggested, pick a point between 50-75% of that number and adjust accordingly if it's negatively impacting your loss rate.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    I am in maintenance. Have been for the last 18 months. I exercise more to eat more. So, if I didn't eat all of the exercise cals back, i'd gain weight which is not what I want to do. I actually tend to eat back less than I burn and my weight has drifted lower as a result but at a very slow rate (just 1# every 6 months) and, if that continues beyond my desired min wt, I'll have to eat more to get my wt back up.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,115 Member
    If you are using mfp to set your calorie goal then you are supposed to eat back those calories. If you aren't confident that they are accurate you can eat back a percentage of them and then reevaluate after about 4 weeks. If you are losing faster than expected eat back more exercise calories. If you are losing slower than expected eat back less. It is important to fuel your body. Mfp's calorie goal already includes a deficit.
  • Metalman224
    Metalman224 Posts: 26 Member
    If you want to gain muscle a calorie surplus must be in play. If you want to lose weight a deficit must be used. If you wish to maintain your weight you must consume your macros to meet your TDEE.
    So if your TDEE is 2000 calories and you exercise and burn 600 then you must consume 2600 to remain the same weight.
    Just keep your macronutrient ratio the same when you consume those extra calories.
    Hope this helps!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you want to gain muscle a calorie surplus must be in play. If you want to lose weight a deficit must be used. If you wish to maintain your weight you must consume your macros to meet your TDEE.
    So if your TDEE is 2000 calories and you exercise and burn 600 then you must consume 2600 to remain the same weight.
    Just keep your macronutrient ratio the same when you consume those extra calories.
    Hope this helps!

You don't necessarily have to keep your macro ratio the same when consuming the calories (although some people with very specific fitness goals may want to). If someone has already met their needs for fat and protein for the day, there is no "bonus" for eating more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,339 Member
    I always ate every single delicious Exercise calorie. I lost weight at almost exactly the predicted rate and I've kept off 70+ pounds since 2008.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,339 Member
    You do have to run the experiment. Pick a number, stick to it for 4-6 weeks, adjust based on results and ease of adherence.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    It is my experience that MFP sets you up too low, by default. If you're sticking with 1200 calories, I'd eat back *some* of those exercise cals. 1200 is very low and for most of us even below our BMR.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    I don’t trust estimated calories burned on any device. I take cals burned from my Apple Watch and log half of that. Then I eat back half the number I logged. Am I leaving cals on table I could eat? Maybe. But like to er on the side of caution.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    I don’t trust estimated calories burned on any device. I take cals burned from my Apple Watch and log half of that. Then I eat back half the number I logged. Am I leaving cals on table I could eat? Maybe. But like to er on the side of caution.

Why not just use a TDEE calculation then?
  • Metalman224
    Metalman224 Posts: 26 Member
    Your calories= your macro ratios.
    It is impossible for them not to equal the same.
    Fat = 9kcal
    Carbs = 4kcal
    Protein = 4kcal
    9+4+4 = 17
    So 9/17 = 0.529 or 52.9%
    4/17 = 23.52%
    So 52.9 + 23.52 + 23.52 = 99.94%(basically 100% if you include all the decimals but for the sake of this conversation...)
    Please correct me if I'm wrong. But how is this different from your macro goals? They are one and the same.