Finding fresh fish/ seafood when you don't live by the sea

Options
I thought I hated fish. Especially Salmon. Just the smell would make me retch. But lately I have had some fresh seafood and it was amazing! Not fishy at all. I think my world view is changing ;)
So, i live in Tennessee and aside from non salt water varieties, I'm not sure how to find fresh fish. Are there fish markets in the bigger cities? Any ideas?

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Even though I live in Hawaii, I still get a lot of frozen fish. When I am lucky enough to get fresh seafood (which is actually kind of rare because a lot of it goes to the hotels, gets shipped out, or is crazy expensive) I'll buy a whole bunch of it and freeze it. If it's something like fresh mussels, clams, lobster, or crab, then I cook them that night for obvious reasons. But I always have a whole bunch of frozen fish and shrimp in my freezer.
  • tekgru
    tekgru Posts: 1
    Options
    Going to the local fish market at the opening hours is the only way to ensure fresh-est fish.
    At my home town, we have fisher men on cycles, bikes selling fresh fish because its near the coast. But no such luck where I am working...
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for you landlocked folks. I live in a seaport city on the east coast. Seafood is plentiful and cheap. e.g. Lobster is currently $3.50/lb. Scallops, mussels $3/lb and clams are $1.99/lb.
    Lots of fish too but salmon is the farmed variety. If we want wild salmon we have to opt for the more expensive Pacific salmon.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Check out for local grocery stores or markets. I have had pretty good luck with Wegams around here getting fresh fish. But I also buy the frozen filets and they are still great
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Going to the local fish market at the opening hours is the only way to ensure fresh-est fish.
    At my home town, we have fisher men on cycles, bikes selling fresh fish because its near the coast. But no such luck where I am working...

Do you live near the coast?
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I thought I hated fish. Especially Salmon. Just the smell would make me retch. But lately I have had some fresh seafood and it was amazing! Not fishy at all. I think my world view is changing ;)
    So, i live in Tennessee and aside from non salt water varieties, I'm not sure how to find fresh fish. Are there fish markets in the bigger cities? Any ideas?

Where in TN are you at? I go to a Fish Market in Knoxville...
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I live on the water on the east coast, and believe it or not, although it's not always fresh, but "previously frozen," I've had good luck with the supermarket's fish departments, both Publix and Winn Dixie. The local seafood coop charges an arm & a leg, and I cannot believe what they are getting for local oysters. Try buying from your supermarket seafood department and cook it the same day.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    No, I live in Buffalo, NY. Probably a good 9 hour drive to the coast.
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options

I AM in knoxville area!!! Where is the fish market? Yay!
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

I AM in knoxville area!!! Where is the fish market? Yay!

http://www.shrimpdock.com/seafood-market/
    It's called The Shrimp Dock