Starting Over

Options
Hello and welcome, lets get this awkward intro post out of the way, shall we?

I'm 28. I'm 5'0. I'm 202.8 as of this morning. I haven't worked out in ages. I haven't logged my food nor really cared what I've eaten. I've taken on a very kind of blase, "why bother" attitude about a lot of things. I come home from my stressful job and sit on the couch like a lump. I'm a damn good cook and I make delicious foods that I eat too much of. I usually snack even when I'm not hungry. I'm kind of sick of myself, to be honest.

Whew. That was a load off. Felt pretty good to say.

There's a lot of crap I'm working on, at the moment. And don't get me wrong, there's a lot about myself that I like too. But I've been stuck in a rut, and one way I want to work on getting out of it is by eating better and exercising more.

So hello again, I'm back on MFP for the millionth time, and I'm hoping to stay here, at least for a while.

I've signed up for two of those fitness competition things where you wager money, because I like money and I like winning money and I don't like losing money, so I'm hoping that'll get me motivated to actually do stuff. I'm the type of person who likes to dip my toe into the water to test things out a million times before ever making a decision then decide eh maybe not, so I feel like I'm sort of cannonballing into the pool instead, which is sort of terrifying.

So how does one eat healthy. How does one exercise. How does one not sit on their butt for 12 hours a day looking at a screen for work. All of these are good questions! And I will be attempting to figure these out as I go.

Here we go! (Also, note to self, figure out how to insert gifs to make everything so much more entertaining.)

Replies

• swebb4209
    swebb4209 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! I’m back on here for the 6288472992 time also! I want to get healthy, but I love food soooo much (and I feel like my social work career is centered around food)! What kind of a plan are you working on?
  • FisherBramer
    FisherBramer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! That’s how I’ve been feeling as well. Just stuck and wanting to change but can’t figure out how. Change is super hard, especially when you’ve already tried and are having to start again.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    I know how it feels to feel like “why bother”
    But see it as a question.. WHY bother?

I bother because I want to slimmer, I bother because I want to be more healthy, i bother because I want to set a good example to my kids, I bother because I want to feel good about myself.

That’s my why bother. So when I think that, I think of all the reasons that I SHOULD bother.

And there’s no “how do you do it” the answer is simple! Make a list of all your worst foods, so for me, it’s chocolate, biscuits, crisps and things like potatoes and chips. Then make a list of alternatives for each food (that you actually will eat), for example, fruits and vegetables instead of chocolate/biscuits, low fat yoghurts instead of crisps, salads instead of potatoes and chips. Whole grain rice instead of white rice at a reasonable portion!

Another thing you need, a set of scales, leave them out on your kitchen side, weigh everything, accurate logging is important! We often under estimate calories eaten and over estimate calories burnt.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s easier said than done of course! And I am far from perfect and have complete fail days where I have devoured everything in sight like the Tasmanian Devil (think looney tunes)
    But I’ve done my ground work, I’ve figured out my flaws and tailored my journey to me for a greater chance of success!

Hope this helps!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. I failed approximately 37 Billion times before I finally figured it out.

The most important thing I've learned:. Do not diet! Seriously, don't. Diets can work great, while on them. The problem comes when you reach a goal or stop the "diet". That's when "normal" eating habits come back, and the weight right along with it.

My sensible eating plan:. Eat the foods I love, but with portion control. Try to keep 75% of my food fairly healthy, but still leave room for less healthy options. This way I never feel deprived or frustrated. Also, by learning to eat your normal foods in moderation, once you're at goal, maintaining becomes very easy as your maintenance ends up your "normal".

A food scale is the best investment you can make, so long as you use it. How are you supposed to know how much you are eating, if you don't know how much you're eating?

Exercise is optional for weight loss. Yes, everyone should do cardio (walking is perfectly fine) for cardiovascular health and strength training (no need to hit the gym, body weight workouts are enough) to simply be stronger and with overall fitness.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Such kind words <3

Growing up, portion control was just Not A Thing. It was just, eat what was made for dinner, don't let it go to waste, and eat until you're not hungry. Dad topped out at 350-360lbs (he's ~290 now), mom hasn't weighed herself in years but is also unhealthy. I was "stuck" at 170ish for a long time, until my first adult relationship crumbled... I was living on my own for the first time, could make and eat whatever I wanted, and I didn't have a boyfriend so who cared (then-BF was also very active and got me active)... next thing I knew I was 200lbs (over the course of a few months). And that's where I've been stuck for the past four or so years.

Goals for now -
    - No alcohol: I'm not a big drinker anyway, but I am a cider fan, which is loads of sugar. So I'm cutting it out completely for the next four weeks
    - Limiting processed sugar: I'd like to say NO processed sugar, but honestly I'm not educated enough to spot where it's hiding. Instead, I'm cutting it out where I know it is (no more sugar in my coffee!), focusing on logging stuff into MFP, and adjusting it there (oh hey, there was a lot of sugar in that teriyaki sauce I used. Duh.)
    - More fruits and veggies: I skip veggies a lot a meals because... no reason, really. I like veggies, I do! But protein is always the focus, the carby side is always my favorite, then I just don't have the energy for veggies? So protein is still gonna be the focus, but there's gonna be an emphasis on veggies! And I've already chopped up strawberries so I have no excuse to not grab some when I want them. I bought kiwis too, but they're a pain in the *kitten*.
  • hokeehales
    hokeehales Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I'm 30, 5'5 and 220lbs. Thus time last year I was at 197. Then life happened and I gained it back. This is my 22393000488400 time back on MFP (approximately). We can do this. I believe in you!
  • Lutielu
    Lutielu Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, you’re just like me with a 2 year and 2 inch difference lol.
    You got this, I’m rooting for you!
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm really struggling to find the motivation to work out. I am not a morning person (I'm definitely the "5 more minutes, please" kind of person), but I'm gonna try to sleep with my blinds open. Between that and my cat, I'm hoping that'll wake me up enough to roll out of bed and at least do something. Even if it's sit on my rower for 15 minutes. Maybe I'll break out Just Dance on the Switch tonight too when I get home. I'm just SO TIRED from this job after work... and I sit in front of a desk all day! I have a stand up desk I should really start using too.

Food tonight will be seared swordfish with a butter garlic rosemary wine sauce (already roughly measured in MFP at ~145, though the food scale for the butter will be ready to go) with some green beans, and strawberries for dessert. I had strawberries last night for dessert/late night snack and I was so tempted to throw some chocolate chips in there... but for what? My goal is no processed/added sugar, strawberries are sweet enough anyway, I'm not a big fan of chocolate covered strawberries... I stopped and thought, what am I really craving? Do I REALLY want chocolate? And honestly, I didn't. It was just such a habit to throw in chocolate at night. And I was super happy with my strawberries!

Goals for tonight/tomorrow:
    - Measure out the swordfish and green beans and log correctly (easy)
    - Get the damn laundry done (not fitness related... just something I really need to do! :neutral:)
    - Keep the blinds open, wake up at 6:30ish, use the rower or do something active!
  • Bex953172
    Options
    303lissy wrote: »
    I'm really struggling to find the motivation to work out. I am not a morning person (I'm definitely the "5 more minutes, please" kind of person), but I'm gonna try to sleep with my blinds open. Between that and my cat, I'm hoping that'll wake me up enough to roll out of bed and at least do something. Even if it's sit on my rower for 15 minutes. Maybe I'll break out Just Dance on the Switch tonight too when I get home. I'm just SO TIRED from this job after work... and I sit in front of a desk all day! I have a stand up desk I should really start using too.

Food tonight will be seared swordfish with a butter garlic rosemary wine sauce (already roughly measured in MFP at ~145, though the food scale for the butter will be ready to go) with some green beans, and strawberries for dessert. I had strawberries last night for dessert/late night snack and I was so tempted to throw some chocolate chips in there... but for what? My goal is no processed/added sugar, strawberries are sweet enough anyway, I'm not a big fan of chocolate covered strawberries... I stopped and thought, what am I really craving? Do I REALLY want chocolate? And honestly, I didn't. It was just such a habit to throw in chocolate at night. And I was super happy with my strawberries!

- Get the damn laundry done (not fitness related... just something I really need to do! :neutral:)
    - Keep the blinds open, wake up at 6:30ish, use the rower or do something active!

Okay so I don’t have a high demand job, in a way.
    I have 3 kids. Aged 4, 2 and 4months.
    Exercise in the morning for me is a no.
    I tried yoga once, between the kids laughing, trying it with me and then climbing on my back whilst in “child pose” I realised it was going to be impossible in the morning.

I’m up from 5-6am depending on the baby, I then have to do the daily duties of being a Mum, cleaning the house etc, lunches, dinner, bath, bed etc. Then even when they’re in bed and you think “yesss got the evening now” I then have to tidy up the mess they’ve made, clean up the kitchen (tend to them again because one of them inevitably wakes up for something)
    And by 9pm I am TIRED.
    But I work out.
    I work my *kitten* off lol

And Im already tired and I just want to get in bed with the OH but I work out. Because excuses don’t burn calories

The only times I’ve not worked out is where I’ve physically fell asleep on the sofa lol! And then I go to bed around 11-12 pm, so I’m only average 5-6 hours sleep per night!

Also, after a workout when I’m tired, I actually feel more energised. But sleep a lot better lol!
  • pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »

I tried yoga once, between the kids laughing, trying it with me and then climbing on my back whilst in “child pose” I realised it was going to be impossible in the morning.

I’m up from 5-6am depending on the baby, I then have to do the daily duties of being a Mum, cleaning the house etc, lunches, dinner, bath, bed etc. Then even when they’re in bed and you think “yesss got the evening now” I then have to tidy up the mess they’ve made, clean up the kitchen (tend to them again because one of them inevitably wakes up for something)
    And by 9pm I am TIRED.
    But I work out.

And Im already tired and I just want to get in bed with the OH but I work out. Because excuses don’t burn calories

The only times I’ve not worked out is where I’ve physically fell asleep on the sofa lol! And then I go to bed around 11-12 pm, so I’m only average 5-6 hours sleep per night!

Also, after a workout when I’m tired, I actually feel more energised. But sleep a lot better lol!

Wow good for you for working out!! I have nieces and nephews that age and it is SO HARD being a mom!! I get tired within 20 minutes of just visiting them lol.
  • Bex953172
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »

And by 9pm I am TIRED.
    But I work out.

Wow good for you for working out!! I have nieces and nephews that age and it is SO HARD being a mom!! I get tired within 20 minutes of just visiting them lol.

Haha atleast you get to leave!!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    "Also, after a workout when I’m tired, I actually feel more energised. But sleep a lot better lol! " - This 100%! My workout time during the week is 3:30-ish to whenever, depending on what I'm doing. That is my sleepiest time of day! But, after working out at this time for so many years I know well enough that once I get moving and get in a good workout I have renewed energy for the rest of the evening.

More importantly, as the poster I quoted said, being physically active aids sleep. I sleep so much better on workout days. If I have to skip a workout I'm lethargic in the late afternoon / evening and then not very sleepy at bed time.