Free advice for younger people

Options
2»

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    mywayroche wrote: »
    The irony is, any "younger people" that are able to read this post are already trying to do something about their weight. You could try giving out free advice at McDonalds if that's really your thing.

Not true, actually. I read the forums for 4 years while I was gaining back the weight I had lost. There are all kinds of people reading these forums.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I didn't need advice to stay skinny in my 20s or even in my early 30s. I did have one brief period of gaining in my mid 20s when I moved halfway across the country for a job, but it was about 3 months of gaining and 3 months of losing and didn't happen again for almost 15 years. That was probably the only time I had a BMI above 25 (which wasn't really a thing back then) until I was 35 or so. It was only in my late 40s and a few times in my 50s that I had my BMI over 30. I got up to 35 once, but spent a lot of time at ~33.5. So advice to younger me would have fallen on deaf ears because it wasn't relevant.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    For the person who woo's me about fast food.

It's not me; I think "clean eating"is woo, largely because what it is vague and so is what it does.

I wash my fork and plates. Is that clean eating?
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Menopause for me was not that bad. I'm 52 and haven't had a period in over a year, so I assume I'm done with it. The mood swings were the worst. I was evil for several years and never really connected it. The waking up at 3:00 a.m. did not help. I gained about 60 lbs. but I don't consider that due to menopause directly, but the poor sleep and the stress I experienced at my job of the time, that threw self care out the window. I've lost 50 lbs. since July 2017, which has got me almost back to my weight before perimenopause. I was about 30 lbs. overweight then, so I have another 50 to go on my weight loss journey. For me it has been relatively easy to lose weight since I started MFP because I know now how much I need to eat in calories. For more than half my life I was thin or normal (until about 35) never having to lose more than 10 lbs.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »
    With all due respect, menopause isn't nonsense. For me it was quite a dramatic change.

I agree and I experienced a huge decrease in how much I can eat without gaining weight post menopause. Some women don’t seem to have the same experience and like to denigrate those of us who do. (“You just move less, don’t have as much muscle etc”). I don’t understand why they do this. Just because it is simple and easy for them they insist we are ‘doing it wrong’ (not counting correctly, not moving as much etc.). Then they use their personal experience as proof that they know our bodies better than we do. “It was easy or simple for me post menopause so your experience is wrong

At 53 I am moving more than ever and for the first time in my life am actively strength training to increase muscle. But in order to not gain weight I have to eat about 1/3 less than I could eat in my 20’s, 30’s or 40’s. Did my ‘metabolism slow’, hormones get out of whack (well my chronic hot flashes confirm that one) or ...? Menopause wasn’t my ‘excuse’ - but it was the reason that I lost the extra pounds very agonizingly and slowly.

Some women do not seem to have problems losing weight post menopause. Some find it very hard. Some women experience debilitating hot flashes with menopause, some women none or mild ones. Anyone who were to say, I didn’t have hot flashes with menopause so you are just imagining it’ would be laughed at, rightfully so.

Likewise the people here who like to ridicule me for my unfortunate experience of menopause causing changes in how many calories I can consume without weight gain “Menopause didn’t affect my weight loss so it was your poor logging or sedentary ways that MUST be your problem” are simply laughable people with no sympathy or empathy for others.

OP: Great advice, menopause or not - weight loss is rarely reported to get easier as we age and is often reported to get harder. So whatever your age, if you are overweight- the best time to start getting control of it is: NOW!

I completely agree with this post. Anyone who has been a woman for any length of time has likely noticed that different women have different experiences with all sorts of things related to hormones. Some of us have terrible menstrual cramps/ hot flashes/mood swings/sleeplessness/fill-in-the-blank, some none at all. Heck, I had very fast labors with minimal pain! That certainly doesn't mean I think the rest of you are pansies. I know I just got lucky.

If menopause has been a walk in the park for you --super! That should mean you're in a great mood and have lots of love and grace for the rest of us. :)