Headaches after exercise

Options
I always get a really bad headache after doing cardio. I do half an hour on the cross-trainer. I do push myself to get a good work out. I also drink about 2L of water throughut the day and another big glass whilst doing my workout and drink another glass throughout the evening. This still leaves me with a banging headache for the rest of the evening (and sometime the following morning), this is really putting me off doing any exercise as I feel rubbish for the rest of the day.

Does anyone have any advice on what im doing wrong and how I can sort this out?

Thanks!

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    And what does your doctor say?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Not trying to scare you but.....

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/exercise-headaches/DS00641

it could be nothing (other than inconvenient & annoying, see your doctor)

One hypothesis I've read is that EIH are blood pressure related (as you exercise your blood pressure increases) emphasis on the word hypothesis......

Another possible cause (and this may be a long shot) is that you may not be breathing deeply enough and expelling all of the CO2 from your lungs (this is surprisingly common amongst new scuba divers breathing shallowly in a effort to improve air consumption).

Best suggestion....see your doctor to rule out anything serious.
  • mkphotogirl
    mkphotogirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My post exercise headaches are caused by either of these two things:
    -- introducing new exercises that cause muscle tension which then causes the headache - try stretching to help with this
    -- not drinking enough water - it's so important to stay hydrated before/during/after your workouts