Going for high tea- how to minimise damage

Options
So I’m going out for a high tea with friends tomorrow.

I can’t wiggle out of it and the foods been ordered so I have limited control as to options all of which- sandwiches, cakes, scones etc seem so removed from food I’d normally eat. Luckily I don’t drink so at least I can curb some kcal there.

Any ideas on how I can minimise damage much as possible? I tried to pre plan some eg a scone and a round of sandwiches but eventhe kcal for those vary so much in the listings it won’t be anywhere near accurate

Help!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do they serve you or do you pick and choose?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    All of these have very high calories. I would just eat in moderation (because they are yummy and there is no reason to deprive yourself on special occasions) and assume that my day will be at maintanance calories and move on.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Ooo, I think this sounds fun. I'd like to go and I would enjoy all of it. Those are normally tiddlywink portions so you can try a few bites of everything. I thought they were drinking tea but it sounds like there's some hooch for the tea. Estimate as best you can and chalk up the rest for the price of a very nice time with your friends. You can dial it right back in tomorrow.
  • categ78
    categ78 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think you pick and choose but I know other will comment or make a fuss if I don’t eat much and then I never know what to say as if I say I’m dieting they’ll then make a fuss a out that and I find it really awkward
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    When I know high calorie events are coming I plan to get in more exercise the day of or the day before.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Eat a big bowl of oatmeal before you go. Works for me!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Advice? Enjoy! One day doesn't ruin everything unless you make a habit of such days. You're mindful of your eating so you probably won't go too crazy anyway (at least I've noticed that difference about myself since starting to lose weight). Think of it as good practice for such future events.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    categ78 wrote: »
    So I’m going out for a high tea with friends tomorrow.

I can’t wiggle out of it and the foods been ordered so I have limited control as to options all of which- sandwiches, cakes, scones etc seem so removed from food I’d normally eat. Luckily I don’t drink so at least I can curb some kcal there.

Any ideas on how I can minimise damage much as possible? I tried to pre plan some eg a scone and a round of sandwiches but eventhe kcal for those vary so much in the listings it won’t be anywhere near accurate

Help!

Am with the posters above. Depending on how you're faring, eat in moderation or simply eat as you normally do in their company, only create enough of a deficit before or after your social. Enter with at least 500 calories to enjoy your High Tea.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it and get back on track the next day. One day of moderately overeating will not make a significant difference in your weight loss as long as you don't let it become several days of overeating.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have just read scads of social columns from the early days of the 20th century. High tea was the norm among the socialites of the time. I can tell you how they stayed slim. A woman of breeding did not remove her kid gloves in public. It is very hard to clean kid gloves, keeping them spotless (spotless gloves were another social norm).

Wear kid gloves. Take care what you pick. Nibble.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    categ78 wrote: »
    I think you pick and choose but I know other will comment or make a fuss if I don’t eat much and then I never know what to say as if I say I’m dieting they’ll then make a fuss a out that and I find it really awkward

Just say in a joking way, "Afternoon tea is a good time to practice our best 'company' manners, like keeping our eyes on our own plates and not commenting on what other people are eating." Smile brightly.
  • thechiopodist
    thechiopodist Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Plan to make up for the extra calories over the next few days by eating 50 calories less until you have made up for it. You could always go for a long walk or do an intense workout before, or after to earn back the calories.
    One day over isn't the end of the world though, just enjoy the day.