Is flat bench needed for bodybuilding?

Options
I want to train for chest growth. I see so many people or hear people tearing their chest from flat bench.

I focus on incline but I do flat as well. Is flat barbell really required or is there a safer alternative better.

Can you tear you chest from flat dumbbell or flat machine ?

Replies

• mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I feel like bench is my favorite thing in the world to do. So incline, flat, decline, close grip any excuse to do bench I'll take it. Meanwhile I think cable flyes maybe the most effective body building tool there is.
    Also you can tear your chest doing any bench press. Which is why you need to warmup, and then stretch after your workouts. Flexibility is something alot of BB's neglect, but in my opinion its the key to proper performance. Also for Body Building dumbells rule the day. IMO.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I never warmup or stretch b4 doing any lifting snd have never torn anything as a result.

On the other hand, I have torn a rotator cuff and injured my back while lifting TOO MUCH WEIGHT and/or using improper form, which IMO is how most lifting injuries occur.

FWIW, you really can't do certain lifts and/or exercises w/o using a flat and/or adjustsble bench. It's just a static piece of equipment and, unless it collapses when using it, cannot be blamed for any injuriescaused by operator error.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Huh?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You can tear any muscle performing and loaded movement..
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I had to stop any bench pressing during my bulk because it kept giving me plugged ducts. Ouch. I'm ok now though.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Tearing your chest isn't a concern and like most things you read/hear are blown out of proportion or utter BS.

You have to find what you as a individual respond to well and what you are resistant to. Nothing is universal and works for everybody. That goes for volume, intensity, frequency, and lifts regardless of goals.

The closest to flat bench is the floor press that was used for a long time before benches were even thought of for chest training.

Also there is no need for special stretches before or after weight training. The most efficient and best stretch is the movement itself progressing from a empty barbell or lighter dumbell to the working weight.
  • mutantspicy
    Options
    ^yeah I agree. I only know one human who has torn a pec. It's a rare problem. I also agree that for pre workout the best warm up is the lift itself. Just ramp up. But I disagree about post workout. I feel like stretching and cool down has changed everything for me. But I'm getting old and perhaps that's why it becoming necessary.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    ^yeah I agree. I only know one human who has torn a pec. It's a rare problem. I also agree that for pre workout the best warm up is the lift itself. Just ramp up. But I disagree about post workout. I feel like stretching and cool down has changed everything for me. But I'm getting old and perhaps that's why it becoming necessary.

If you want to stretch post lifting session, it's not going to do damage per sae. There isn't any studies that shows benefits of stretching pertaining to lifting. In fact if I remember correctly Dr Feigenbaum recently quoted a study that if anything, stretching hinders strength as it can lessen the rebound reflex in things such as a squat.

I'm nearing 50 and deal with disease that has deformed many my joints compatible to elders nearing 70-80 year olds. I've done the stretching and even yoga in years past. While it might feel good....it wasn't necessary. Once again if one enjoys it, no harm. Personally I rather spend my time doing 1000 other things such as eating, riding motorcycles, etc.... ;).

Keep on lifting and getting stronger!
  • mutantspicy
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

If you want to stretch post lifting session, it's not going to do damage per sae. There isn't any studies that shows benefits of stretching pertaining to lifting. In fact if I remember correctly Dr Feigenbaum recently quoted a study that if anything, stretching hinders strength as it can lessen the rebound reflex in things such as a squat.

I'm nearing 50 and deal with disease that has deformed many my joints compatible to elders nearing 70-80 year olds. I've done the stretching and even yoga in years past. While it might feel good....it wasn't necessary. Once again if one enjoys it, no harm. Personally I rather spend my time doing 1000 other things such as eating, riding motorcycles, etc.... ;).

Taking an extra 5 mins post workout isn't destroying my life. And I agree with alot of the people who say stretching pre workout is hindering and potentially damaging because of joint softening, but post sorry thats nothing but BS. But alas I agree keep on lifting man!!!
  • Chieflrg
    Options

Taking an extra 5 mins post workout isn't destroying my life. And I agree with alot of the people who say stretching pre workout is hindering and potentially damaging because of joint softening, but post sorry thats nothing but BS. But alas I agree keep on lifting man!!!

5 minutes isn't destroyin a life either. My point is I've been lifting for 35+ years. If I stretched post workout uneccessarily for 5 minutes every session for that time. That could equate to well over 450 hours/18 days/2.7 week of my life just to stretch post lifting. When there is no reason or data at least Ive read that proves stretching post strength training is beneficial. It's about priorities of things I enjoy in life.

1000 things>stretching. If that makes sense.

I didn't read all the other comments so I will assume someone said that it is damaging to stretch post which I would agree.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    I've had many an acquaintance tear a muscle in the gym or at a meet. The one correlating commonality was that they were all pretty much doing a maximum poundage for 1-2 reps. That's NOT to say you can't do it doing more reps than that, but I haven't experienced anyone doing it that way yet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Chieflrg
    Options

5 minutes isn't destroyin a life either. My point is I've been lifting for 35+ years. If I stretched post workout uneccessarily for 5 minutes every session for that time. That could equate to well over 450 hours/18 days/2.7 week of my life just to stretch post lifting. When there is no reason or data at least Ive read that proves stretching post strength training is beneficial. It's about priorities of things I enjoy in life.

1000 things>stretching. If that makes sense.

I didn't read all the other comments so I will assume someone said that it is damaging to stretch post which I would agree.

*I meant I would agree with you that it isn't damaging.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I want to train for chest growth. I see so many people or hear people tearing their chest from flat bench.

I focus on incline but I do flat as well. Is flat barbell really required or is there a safer alternative better.

So, I would suggest this: you can do AMAZING things with push-up, pull-ups and dips! :-)

I do both barbell bench and dumbbell bench. I do both flat and inclined (well, I will do inclined soon...have done it in the past) but I do not do declined.

I actually hurt my rotarcuff in December, 2012 (I remember that day well, actually) doing flat dumbbell bench (with 50lbs...I could bench 340lbs at the time...so the 50lb dumbbells were "light").

It is really all about form. Well, let's assume that you are not trying to bench press 340lbs when all you can really do is 205lbs! Let's take "stupid" out of the equation. Its all about putting - and keeping - your body in its strongest position.

Brian Alsruhe has three different series on How to and each is a three-parter. He is my go-to for proper form for Dead Lifts, Squats and Bench. I am sure that I could name three or four others (Jeff Cavalier, Jeff Nippard and Scott Herman come to mind immediately as well) but I like to stick with one "how to"....

And, by simply doing inclined bench you are hitting the upper chest and the front delts. So, you are not getting everything that you might want.

Are you following a progressive overload program? You say that you want to train chest....to me, that means that you are not? But then you stated that you focus on inclined, which suggests that you are! Am I being me too much? I can't help that. I pay attention to language.
  • Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

No it is not needed.
    You can
    Dumbell press all angles
    Smith machine press
    Dips/ weights weights
    Push ups/ with weights
    Cross overs/flys

And you can tear your peck from flat dumbbells and machines.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Popped my pec about 18 months back.

Causes: Inattention, and rushing to get back to previous lifting standards. IOW, it wasn't the exercise's fault, it was the lifter's fault.

It was relatively minor, and didn't require any special attention for recovery(other than rest and easing back in)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Popped my pec about 18 months back.

Causes: Inattention, and rushing to get back to previous lifting standards. IOW, it wasn't the exercise's fault, it was the lifter's fault.

It was relatively minor, and didn't require any special attention for recovery(other than rest and easing back in)

How long did that recovery take?

I just did something similar with my hip flexor trying to push my squats. Was in a rush for 400lbs now itll be a lot longer than if I was going slow