Saying goodbye to depression

Options
ellieebxx1
ellieebxx1 Posts: 14 Member
edited June 2018 in Introduce Yourself
Hey! My name is Ellie. I'm a psychology major going on my second year. It's been pretty fun so far 🌟

I've always had trouble maintaining a healthy relationship with food. I've gotten to the point where I felt guilty breaking a one week fast with an apple.

I've been diagnosed with depression and am now going to a psychiatrist and getting medication. I'm hoping by joining this community to better myself and reach a point where I'm happy and satisfied with myself and my life 💕

Would love to make new friends!

Replies

• dodgowan
    dodgowan Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been suffering from depression for quite some time now. I've not been put on medication but I struggled with feeling down so I was comfort eating, this led to weight gain which led to feeling even worse. It was a bit of a horrible circle! Finding that exercising and eating better is definitely helping though and this app makes it quite easy to resist cravings and watch what I'm eating.
  • ellieebxx1
    Options
    dodgowan wrote: »
    I've been suffering from depression for quite some time now. I've not been put on medication but I struggled with feeling down so I was comfort eating, this led to weight gain which led to feeling even worse. It was a bit of a horrible circle! Finding that exercising and eating better is definitely helping though and this app makes it quite easy to resist cravings and watch what I'm eating.

I tend to get a burst of motivation before it loses its spark after a while and I end up going back to sleeping all day and barely eating. I'm hoping it'll help guide towards a happier more fulfilling life
  • dodgowan
    Options
    ellieebxx1 wrote: »
    I tend to get a burst of motivation before it loses its spark after a while and I end up going back to sleeping all day and barely eating. I'm hoping it'll help guide towards a happier more fulfilling life

I've found that too. I'm hoping that this time that I can stay out of the rut I was in as I have signed up to a half marathon at the end of the year and have a couple of competitions coming up too that I can look forward to and use as motivation to keep going.

• ellieebxx1
    Options
    dodgowan wrote: »

I've found that too. I'm hoping that this time that I can stay out of the rut I was in as I have signed up to a half marathon at the end of the year and have a couple of competitions coming up too that I can look forward to and use as motivation to keep going.

Ooooo that sounds very exciting! Good luck on your competitions

I'm aiming to hopefully regain some of my lost muscle and go back to my kickboxing club!
  • ellieebxx1
    Options
    armymil87 wrote: »
    Learn to understand the purpose of bumps in the road, grow from them and stay positive. Always end the day with a positive thought. No matter how hard things were, tomorrow’s a fresh opportunity to make it better.

I can’t promise to fix all your problems, but I can promise each of you won’t face them alone.

I’d be happy to assist anyone in this chat to reach their goals and keep a positive mindset.

Remember to always take one day at a time. :)

It's always really nice to have the support of people like you! You are really appreciated 💕
  • armymil87
    armymil87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Learn to understand the purpose of bumps in the road, grow from them and stay positive. Always end the day with a positive thought. No matter how hard things were, tomorrow’s a fresh opportunity to make it better.

I can’t promise to fix all your problems, but I can promise each of you won’t face them alone.

I’d be happy to assist anyone in this chat to reach their goals and keep a positive mindset.

It's always really nice to have the support of people like you! You are really appreciated 💕

Thank you that really means a lot :)!

Please feel free if anyone would like to add me.
  • dodgowan
    Options

Ooooo that sounds very exciting! Good luck on your competitions

I'm aiming to hopefully regain some of my lost muscle and go back to my kickboxing club!

Thanks! Good luck to you too!

Last time I was on a big health kick was when I lived with a flatmate and we did it together. It's definitely much easier with others!
  • chekqued
    chekqued Posts: 4 Member
    Options

what a nice post. :)
  • giulianabruce28
    giulianabruce28 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find exercise helps me to cope with it! However, you will need to force yourself to go to the gym as your worst enemy will try to keep you indoors and sad is a bit of an inner fight..
  • sarahkatie2019
    sarahkatie2019 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. Currently medicated for depression, but hoping a change of lifestyle and more self confidence will help that.
  • NikyNik89
    NikyNik89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm too scared to be put on meds for my depression. I binge eat when I'm depressed and then I'm depressed because I binge. It's an awful cycle.
  • ellieebxx1
    Options
    NikyNik89 wrote: »
    I'm too scared to be put on meds for my depression. I binge eat when I'm depressed and then I'm depressed because I binge. It's an awful cycle.

It personally helped me greatly. It may not be your thing and that's okay you can stop it then but if it is it'll help guide you to a better place. Of course it's not a magic treatment you need to try to better yourself through habits too. But I think it's safe to say that by now I'm really glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and went to a psychiatrist

(I take brintellix incase you're curious. It doesn't work for everyone as some people get hot with really bad side effects but I barely had any side effects caused by it- just sight itchiness on my thighs the first few weeks. Everyone's body reacts differently)

I hope you get out of that cycle soon 💕
  • ellieebxx1
    Options
    Typo ^ get hit***
  • NikyNik89
    NikyNik89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    NikyNik89 wrote: »

It personally helped me greatly. It may not be your thing and that's okay you can stop it then but if it is it'll help guide you to a better place. Of course it's not a magic treatment you need to try to better yourself through habits too. But I think it's safe to say that by now I'm really glad I stepped out of my comfort zone and went to a psychiatrist

(I take brintellix incase you're curious. It doesn't work for everyone as some people get hot with really bad side effects but I barely had any side effects caused by it- just sight itchiness on my thighs the first few weeks. Everyone's body reacts differently)

I hope you get out of that cycle soon 💕

Thank you I appreciate your feedback ❤️
  • Angelicax502
    Angelicax502 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel you on this. <3
    I’ve also dealt with depression and anxiety issues for as long as I can remember. It seems to come in waves for me and I always end up binging or emotionally eating throughout. I find exercise really helps to regulate my mood, gives me energy that I otherwise wouldn’t have, and boosts my confidence. It’s finding the motivation to exercise that’s the hard part...
  • MeaghanCake
    MeaghanCake Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m also a college student, in my final year of my social work masters. I have borderline personality disorder and the associated depression is a MAJOR cause of my binge eating and obesity. I was recently in bed for 2 days because of a depressive episode so I know it can be tough. Especially getting into the mental health field it can be overwhelming because then you take on the issues of your clients. At least for me. It’s all about finding the love and will for yourself. that’s something that’s been so hard for me. But I gotta just keep reminding myself of what i would tell my clients and the good life I would want for them. Good luck with everything and if any of you lovely people ever need someone to talk to I’m always around (: