I’m FREEZING.... what gives?

Options
It’s winter where I live, and although our winters are usually considered pretty mild, I’ve been absolutely freezing! I’m certain I wasn’t this cold last winter!

We’re talking 4 layers of clothing and 2 blankets on the couch freezing! We have a cold house, but hubby sits there in one layer of long sleeves, no blanket, and laughs at me, so I know it’s not just the house.

Anyone else experienced this whole losing weight?

Replies

• FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Any other symptoms? Feeling cold could be a medical condition, I'd get your thyroid checked if you haven't recently.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    It’s winter where I live, and although our winters are usually considered pretty mild, I’ve been absolutely freezing! I’m certain I wasn’t this cold last winter!

We’re talking 4 layers of clothing and 2 blankets on the couch freezing! We have a cold house, but hubby sits there in one layer of long sleeves, no blanket, and laughs at me, so I know it’s not just the house.

That's me, too! I lost 45 lbs of the insulating blanket ;) And, yes, men are usually much warmer than ladies are, in my experience anyway.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Me too, I lost ~60 pounds and suddenly I went from being hot all the time to cold. I don’t mind it though, I’d rather be cold than hot any day
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Me too, I lost ~60 pounds and suddenly I went from being hot all the time to cold. I don’t mind it though, I’d rather be cold than hot any day

Same here. Lost 95 lbs and went from hot all the time to freezing. One Positive is I tolerate our high 90s high humidity summers a heck of a lot better.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

What do those layers consist of? Turtle necks? Wool? Clothing for women is often much thinner than clothing for men. If you dress properly, there's no reason to be cold inside in winter. You may have to adjust your definition of "dressing properly". I wear a lot of men's clothes in the winter.

I cannot recommend Sorel Manawans more highly. I saved $50 off my electric bill the first month I got them. I wear them with cotton socks under wool socks.

https://www.zappos.com/p/sorel-manawann-marsh/product/7422158/color/70450

81q1uGEcitL._SX480_.jpg
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Any other symptoms? Feeling cold could be a medical condition, I'd get your thyroid checked if you haven't recently.

I had my thyroid checked a few months ago- I have some hormonal issues, so thyroid was checked as part of that- and it was fine. No other symptoms :)
    Thanks for the idea though!
  • Leannep2201
    Options
    Dory_42 wrote: »
    I found that I felt the cold so much more without my nice insulating layer if blubber! One of the few negatives about losing weight.

Glad it’s a thing and not just me then!!!
  • Leannep2201
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What do those layers consist of? Turtle necks? Wool? Clothing for women is often much thinner than clothing for men. If you dress properly, there's no reason to be cold inside in winter. You may have to adjust your definition of "dressing properly". I wear a lot of men's clothes in the winter.

I cannot recommend Sorel Manawans more highly. I saved $50 off my electric bill the first month I got them. I wear them with cotton socks under wool socks.

https://www.zappos.com/p/sorel-manawann-marsh/product/7422158/color/70450

81q1uGEcitL._SX480_.jpg

My layers usually consist of 2 cotton, one thermal (yes, wool!), and a fleece jersey. Should be enough to keep me plenty warm! Thanks though.

Looks like others have experienced this too though, which is reassuring! :)
  • Leannep2201
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Has your resting heart rate lowered while you have been losing weight? Are your nails growing at a slower rate?

Lower heart rate, slower growing nails, and slightly lower core temperature are all aspects of adaptive thermogenesis, your body's rear guard action to limit the effectiveness of the caloric deficit you're applying!

Can’t say I’ve noticed the nails, but my heart rate has lowered by a couple of digits, according to my Fitbit. That’s really interesting- I never knew about adaptive thermogenesis.... it definitely makes sense though!
    Thanks for your reply!
  • Leannep2201
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.... I’m glad that it seems to be a thing, and it’s not just me!!!!
    :D
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah I got cold after significant weight loss. I bought myself an electric blanket. Love that thing.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    it was 103f near Dallas today, i'm envious
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm in California and rarely cold!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I vote for adaptive theromogenesis.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Absolutely freezing here in Sydney, Aus. I've taken to wearing a doona around the house, on top of three jumpers, slippers, and with the gas heater on. Definitely feeling the cold more than previous winters.
  • Leannep2201
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    it was 103f near Dallas today, i'm envious

Im the one who’s jealous.... even that heat sounds good right now!!! 😜
  • Leannep2201
    Options
    Absolutely freezing here in Sydney, Aus. I've taken to wearing a doona around the house, on top of three jumpers, slippers, and with the gas heater on. Definitely feeling the cold more than previous winters.

Yeah, I’m sure I wasn’t this bad last winter. Loving my slippers and heater!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm warmer when I'm more active, and I'm less active when I'm overweight.