this is an important announcement...

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm butyric acid.

Not to ruin things for you, but if you think hard, you'll notice that fear sweat, vomit, and Parmesan cheese all have one thing in common: butyric acid.

Funny how context can determine perception

It's not in whey is it?

I've noticed when friends increase their protein intake, they smell funny.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    At my gym it always smells like something very high on testosterone died there weeks ago. I grown so used to it that when I'm working out at home I feel like I'm missing something.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm butyric acid.

Not to ruin things for you, but if you think hard, you'll notice that fear sweat, vomit, and Parmesan cheese all have one thing in common: butyric acid.

It's not in whey is it?

I think that would be mercaptans and hydrogen sulfide.

I have this little hypothesis that when you smell that, you are taking in more protein at one time than you are absorbing, which results in elevated levels of protein in the bowels, which creates a bacterial and archeal ****storm.

If you combine elevated protein with elevated sugar, you get the double whammy of volume and power. I call this "the meatloaf effect".
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Join a womens only gym...problem solved:drinker:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Gyms smell bad? Had no idea. I need to rethink my existence.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Mmmmm butyric acid.

It's not in whey is it?

I have this little hypothesis that when you smell that, you are taking in more protein at one time than you are absorbing, which results in elevated levels of protein in the bowels, which creates a bacterial and archeal ****storm.

If you combine elevated protein with elevated sugar, you get the double whammy of volume and power. I call this "the meatloaf effect".

It's just something I've noticed even with myself if I have more whey-based products than normal. My sweat smells funny especially the armpit area even a couple of hours after washing. Normally I don't smell even washing just once a day and my crystal deodorant is more than capable of keeping me fresh.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm butyric acid.

It's not in whey is it?

If you combine elevated protein with elevated sugar, you get the double whammy of volume and power. I call this "the meatloaf effect"

Since when do you not absorb all the protein you eat? Wouldn't this mean you're pooping out protein?
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I used to think crystal deodorant could keep me fresh.

Then I asked the people around me...
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    lol.. i sweat..... but i dont stink.... all for sweating!!! just wear the damn deodorant :happy:

Or so you think. You probably do not know this, but humans experience body odor very subjectively. You might smell great to one guy and be Beelzebub's breath to another. The way you experience scent as a woman even changes throughout your menstrual cycle. Even more excitingly, YOU smell different to MEN depending on whether you are menstruating or not. Perhaps you should think about that next time you go to the gym and get all judgy?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0310.2006.01125.x/full
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    lol.. i sweat..... but i dont stink.... all for sweating!!! just wear the damn deodorant :happy:

Or so you think. You probably do not know this, but humans experience body odor very subjectively. You might smell great to one guy and be Beelzebub's breath to another. The way you experience scent as a woman even changes throughout your menstrual cycle. Even more excitingly, YOU smell different to MEN depending on whether you are menstruating or not. Perhaps you should think about that next time you go to the gym and get all judgy?

Oh dear
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I know not this. . . deodorant. . . of which you speak.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    In my experience, bad body odor isn't from sweating AT the gym, it's from not washing your gym clothes or not bathing in the past 72 hours. Exercise sweat isn't usually stinky... not like stress sweat is.

That's the truth. If you're clean and have clean clothes on, then you probably won't stick all that bad during a 60 minute workout no matter how much you sweat. It's the people wearing dirty clothes that really stink the place up.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Well, I certainly notice I smell when I eat more whey products so even if I did smell before, I smell even worse with whey products. And that's 3 hours after wearing clean clothes and having a good wash in the areas that I smell.
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm butyric acid.

It's not in whey is it?

If you combine elevated protein with elevated sugar, you get the double whammy of volume and power. I call this "the meatloaf effect"

Since when do you not absorb all the protein you eat? Wouldn't this mean you're pooping out protein?

According to my Sports Nutrition class i took in college, your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein in a day depending on your activity level. I can't remember the exact numbers but I'm sure you can look them up. And you don't poop it out, you pee it out. My professor used to say that taking in all this extra protein was just making "expensive pee" (her words, not mine). :laugh:
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm butyric acid.

It's not in whey is it?

According to my Sports Nutrition class i took in college, your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein in a day depending on your activity level. I can't remember the exact numbers but I'm sure you can look them up. And you don't poop it out, you pee it out. My professor used to say that taking in all this extra protein was just making "expensive pee" (her words, not mine). :laugh:

http://spotmebro.com/layne-norton-phd-on-protein-how-much-and-how-often/
    Many ‘experts’ or gym know-it-alls out there who will tell you to only consume “X” amount of protein at a meal because only “X” amount of protein can be absorbed by the body at a meal (I’m sure you’ve all heard this one before). Let this nonsense stop here and now. To begin with, this entire train of thought isn’t even on the correct track. Hell it didn’t even depart from the right train station! Assuming that you have a healthy digestive system, the absorption of the amino acids from a meal containing protein is very efficient and almost never a limiting factor. Absorption only refers to nutrient uptake & absorption via the digestive track (most absorption occurring in the small intestine). If our digestive systems didn’t absorb most of what we eat than anytime you had a big meal you would have diarrhea like clockwork from the undigested material in the gut! It also makes very little sense from an evolutionary standpoint to be very wasteful with nutrients when primitive man may have only been able to eat one large meal in a day at times. Our species would not have survived very long if we were wasteful with nutrients and did not absorb amino acids beyond a certain level. In reality, the body has an extremely high capacity for amino acid absorption.

ETA: I was going to give your professor the benefit of the doubt and say that she was giving you outdated information, but if she's saying that you're peeing out protein that you don't absorb she does not have an understanding of the human body. Peeing something out means that you absorbed it. Fecal matter is everything that you don't absorb. Urine has been processed through the kidneys, and has thus been absorbed.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Mmmmm butyric acid.

It's not in whey is it?

http://spotmebro.com/layne-norton-phd-on-protein-how-much-and-how-often/
    Many ‘experts’ or gym know-it-alls out there who will tell you to only consume “X” amount of protein at a meal because only “X” amount of protein can be absorbed by the body at a meal (I’m sure you’ve all heard this one before). Let this nonsense stop here and now. To begin with, this entire train of thought isn’t even on the correct track. Hell it didn’t even depart from the right train station! Assuming that you have a healthy digestive system, the absorption of the amino acids from a meal containing protein is very efficient and almost never a limiting factor. Absorption only refers to nutrient uptake & absorption via the digestive track (most absorption occurring in the small intestine). If our digestive systems didn’t absorb most of what we eat than anytime you had a big meal you would have diarrhea like clockwork from the undigested material in the gut! It also makes very little sense from an evolutionary standpoint to be very wasteful with nutrients when primitive man may have only been able to eat one large meal in a day at times. Our species would not have survived very long if we were wasteful with nutrients and did not absorb amino acids beyond a certain level. In reality, the body has an extremely high capacity for amino acid absorption.

ETA: I was going to give your professor the benefit of the doubt and say that she was giving you outdated information, but if she's saying that you're peeing out protein that you don't absorb she does not have an understanding of the human body. Peeing something out means that you absorbed it. Fecal matter is everything that you don't absorb. Urine has been processed through the kidneys, and has thus been absorbed.

Yeah, if the nitrogen from your protein is now urea, it's been absorbed.
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    On the upside, your nose should adjust to the smell after a short period so that you won't notice the smell any longer.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'll wear deodorant when women quit wearing perfume to the gym. Some lady almost choked me out a few weeks ago because she had so much perfume on!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    What makes you think it was only the men?