Having to increase sodium and weight creeping up

Options
SCoil123
SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
I switched into maintenance recently when I hit my goal weight range of 150-155. I was doing good bouncing between 151-153 most days. Then I had some health stuff come up and found out I have low blood pressure and low sodium. It’s a little funny because when I started losing my blood pressure was high and my doctor had advised me to get it down so that I wouldn’t need medication.

For the past two weeks I have been increasing my salt intake now. I’m having less dizzy spells and headaches so I think it’s helping. I’ll know for sure in a few weeks when I go back to the doctor.

My problem is I weighed in today for the first time sonce this started and I’m now 3lb outside of my goal range (158.2). I’m not sure how long I should give it for any water weight from increased sodium intake to balance out before I consider going back into a small deficit. Has anyone else been in this situation? Advice?

I’m still logging just like I did to lose the weight and have been within 200 calories of goal every day, some a little over and some a little under.

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Sodium has no impact on fat (only water retention) so I wouldn't worry about it much. I'd give it at least a week or two, though.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I thinks it’s more important to follow the doctor’s instructions for the next few weeks to see where you land on your weight. Then make adjustments as needed after you have the blood pressure issue ironed out. Be sure to drink plenty of water. Dehydration has caused issues for me in the past when my blood pressure was low. Do you have a follow up appointment scheduled?
  • SCoil123
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    Sodium has no impact on fat (only water retention) so I wouldn't worry about it much.

I know it isn’t fat gain. But I’m also not in my maintenance range any more (which is a 5lb range) so I am worried about that. I just want to know if anyone else has had to do this and how long it took for the water weight to balance out

Of course my health is #1 and getting my blood pressure to stop dropping and my sodium in range is my priority
  • SCoil123
    Options
    I thinks it’s more important to follow the doctor’s instructions for the next few weeks to see where you land on your weight. Then make adjustments as needed after you have the blood pressure issue ironed out. Be sure to drink plenty of water. Dehydration has caused issues for me in the past when my blood pressure was low. Do you have a follow up appointment scheduled?

I had to decrease water. I was drinking 100oz or more a day which may have contributed to the low sodium. I go back in on the 11th. And I’m having to check my blood pressure every other day at the local pharmacy and recording it for my doctor. Yesterday it was 100/51 so it’s up slightly
  • SCoil123
    Options
    Was really hoping someone with experience would chime in. O’well

Since I’m no longer in my maintenance range I’ve decided to switch back to a small deficit until I am again. I know it’s only a couple of pounds and water. That doesn’t change the fact that it put me out of range. I gave it over a week to stabilize
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering how you decided your maintenance range? You may have a reason to increase your maintenance level because your height says you would be better between this and that point on the scales.

I'm not convinced one week will be long enough to balance your salt levels, for your body to adjust to the change, while resolving everything else too, it seems like a really big ask to me. I think a good indicator will be how your blood pressure responds. This is what your doctor will be looking for, he/she wants to see you on the 11th which is a little while away which is when he/she will expect things to be in a better place. I understand your qualms. Its more than great you are no longer experiencing some of the worst symptoms of low blood pressure. Many do not realise having a low bp can be similarly dangerous to being overly high. By all means log your calories so you know what you have done in this period of adjustment, can print off your trends to take with you on the 11th and please try not to worry.

Thankfully we know more of these things now than we did 20 years ago.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    When my dietitian was having me work on increasing sodium, she cautioned me that it would take six weeks or so for things to level out. A week or two weeks is not enough time to evaluate whether you need to change things up.

Also remember that you saw an increase of just about 2 percent. That's *nothing* when adjusting to edema or retention.

If seeing that number is troubling for you -- and I know it would be for me -- you may want to consider staying off the scale for six weeks. Judge based off of your clothes and tape measurements instead (but keep those tape measurements to once a week or less.)
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Many do not realize having a low bp can be similarly dangerous to being overly high.

How do you know if it is dangerously low? I have been taking mine around 5am using the machine at the YMCA before I work out once or twice a week and it's pretty low. Usually around 75/50 or so, which I know is below
    the standard 90/60 threshold but haven't seen anything that indicates when it becomes too low.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Many do not realize having a low bp can be similarly dangerous to being overly high.

How do you know if it is dangerously low? I have been taking mine around 5am using the machine at the YMCA before I work out once or twice a week and it's pretty low. Usually around 75/50 or so, which I know is below
    the standard 90/60 threshold but haven't seen anything that indicates when it becomes too low.

This would be a good conversation to have with a doctor. First, gym machines aren't always totally reliable so you'll want to get your doctor to confirm that's actually your blood pressure. Second, your doctor will know everything else that is going on with you and be able to recommend a healthy range based on that.
  • m1ssannthropy
    m1ssannthropy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you see an increase in centimeters? you feel fluffy? what kind of sodium are you using? I only use himalayan salt, and just adding some on my boiled eggs/avocado does the trick for me. I too have to make sure I eat enough salt or I get dizzy spells from my low blood pressure. Which is about 100/60 (mind you when I weighed 40 kilo heavier it was 120/75). I gain about a kilo in water retention when using creatine, but I don't mind since your muscles need water too, so unless you're bloating and gaining centimeters don't sweat the weight. Or do you need your weight lower for competing? I eat less to no processed grain and keep my carbs to 20% which helps me a lot to lose water retention.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Was really hoping someone with experience would chime in. O’well

Since I’m no longer in my maintenance range I’ve decided to switch back to a small deficit until I am again. I know it’s only a couple of pounds and water. That doesn’t change the fact that it put me out of range. I gave it over a week to stabilize

well i have low blood pressure and have to eat a high sodium diet. if this is something you need to do for your health. Then adjust your maintenance range up. 3lbs isn't a big deal and likely no one will notice that water except your perception of it.

I adjusted my range because I'd rather carry 3 lbs of water and not pass out from low blood pressure, but my health comes first.
  • SCoil123
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm wondering how you decided your maintenance range? You may have a reason to increase your maintenance level because your height says you would be better between this and that point on the scales.

I'm not convinced one week will be long enough to balance your salt levels, for your body to adjust to the change, while resolving everything else too, it seems like a really big ask to me. I think a good indicator will be how your blood pressure responds. This is what your doctor will be looking for, he/she wants to see you on the 11th which is a little while away which is when he/she will expect things to be in a better place. I understand your qualms. Its more than great you are no longer experiencing some of the worst symptoms of low blood pressure. Many do not realise having a low bp can be similarly dangerous to being overly high. By all means log your calories so you know what you have done in this period of adjustment, can print off your trends to take with you on the 11th and please try not to worry.

Thankfully we know more of these things now than we did 20 years ago.

It’s based on the BMI for insurance purposes. 160lb puts me just outside the healthy BMI.

I lift and am comfortable in the medium to high end BMI but I don’t want to go above that and pay higher premiums. I’m 5’8” 38yr old female for reference

Edited to add- my doctor gave me a healthy weight range for my body of 145-165. Our new insurance company uses BMI though and since I’m just under 5’8” (literally a quarter inch) they round down to 5’7”. Since 150-155 puts me in both acceptable ranges I chose that
  • SCoil123
    Options
    Do you see an increase in centimeters? you feel fluffy? what kind of sodium are you using? I only use himalayan salt, and just adding some on my boiled eggs/avocado does the trick for me. I too have to make sure I eat enough salt or I get dizzy spells from my low blood pressure. Which is about 100/60 (mind you when I weighed 40 kilo heavier it was 120/75). I gain about a kilo in water retention when using creatine, but I don't mind since your muscles need water too, so unless you're bloating and gaining centimeters don't sweat the weight. Or do you need your weight lower for competing? I eat less to no processed grain and keep my carbs to 20% which helps me a lot to lose water retention.

Yes. I feel very puffy right now and am uncomfortable in restrictive clothing.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I am going back to a small deficit of 250cal a day. I feel puffy and my face looks rounder. I know that will go away once my body stabilized but, if my weight stays up slightly because my body needs the extra sodium causing water retention I need to make sure I’m not going outside my range.

I’ve decreased water intake, added more salt to my diet, and incorporated a more diverse training schedule which has more rest all per doctors orders
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I am going back to a small deficit of 250cal a day. I feel puffy and my face looks rounder. I know that will go away once my body stabilized but, if my weight stays up slightly because my body needs the extra sodium causing water retention I need to make sure I’m not going outside my range.

I’ve decreased water intake, added more salt to my diet, and incorporated a more diverse training schedule which has more rest all per doctors orders

Is anyone from your insurance company doing a premium evaluation during the next few weeks, though? If they're not, what's the angst over the range for?
  • SCoil123
    Options

Is anyone from your insurance company doing a premium evaluation during the next few weeks, though? If they're not, what's the angst over the range for?

No, not any time soon. Honestly though as someone who lost over 80lb only to gain almost half back I’m not willing for to get too far out of my maintenance range. I guess maybe that’s a big part for me.

I maintained for 3 years last time and then it started to creep back on. The first 5-10lb I noticed but ignored. I still felt good, my clothes fit, and it was just a couple of pounds right? The next thing I knew a year had passed and I was up just over 30lb. It took me longer to lose 35lb this time than it did to lose 86lb my first go round. I don’t ever want to do that again.
  • SCoil123
    Options
    For people who have been in my situation how long did it take for your weight to stabilize?

I know we are all different but I still want to know others experience
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Colourful - I was thinking back to my father, his was lower than yours, I'm heartened to see our Op has her doctor taking an interest.

SCoil123 - I realise you have been taking care of yourself for many years and have become if you were not before a very fit and active person, I can only comiserate. I understand its the discomfort in clothes which has come with salt increase. I really hope your bp is more in line on the 11th, its best to avoid medication when possible.

Have you had any blood tests to establish an underlying cause? Doing a low bp search, I've looked at the, American Heart Association site for low bp information. There's a range of things which can lower bp. It seems, lack of blood volume can be an underlying issue, please don't restrict fluids. B12 deficiency, (this can be from poor availability in the diet or lack of a microbe or enzyme to facilitate its up take, both simple to deal with). Even a disrupted endocrine system, can lower blood pressure. Some endocrine interactions do tilt one to gain weight. Resolve the underlying imbalance and the weight is more easy to deal with. It may be increasing salt is a sledge hammer to crack a nut, possibly a very small nut.

Please don't read my post as anything more than looking for a better answer to try to correct a frustrating issue. Perhaps I should have looked to your age, many things can go awry as we mature. in my experience female doctors are no better than male ones at picking these things up. I hope you can get to the bottom of this in the most effective way for yourself.