New and 100+ to loose

Options
Hello All,

My names Amber. I am new here. I 5ft 11 and I weight 322lbs. I’m looking to lose around 150lbs. So, basically a second person. I would love to make some friends to help along the way. I am totally open to constructive suggestions, or sharing experiences. Would love to hear about your journey as well!

Replies

• sherr2389
    sherr2389 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi you can add me as a friend. I was 446 I am now 374. So I know what you are talking about lossing another person I have to lose a couple
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Hi Amber. I started at 350+ (home scale only goes to 350lbs). I am now (as of Saturday) 173lbs, and I'm 5'7". Add me, feel free to ask me anything. I will tell you that it wasn't and still isn't easy, but it's so worth it to not have a whole other person as extra weight. I also have about a million little tweeks and ideas to help lose weight for long term results. I went on a one year diet break to let my skin catch up - I maintained without any effort because I figured out how to change my lifestyle.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    sherr2389 wrote: »
    Hi you can add me as a friend. I was 446 I am now 374. So I know what you are talking about lossing another person I have to lose a couple

Wow that’s so inspiring to see that you have lost so much already!
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    Hi Amber. I started at 350+ (home scale only goes to 350lbs). I am now (as of Saturday) 173lbs, and I'm 5'7". Add me, feel free to ask me anything. I will tell you that it wasn't and still isn't easy, but it's so worth it to not have a whole other person as extra weight. I also have about a million little tweeks and ideas to help lose weight for long term results. I went on a one year diet break to let my skin catch up - I maintained without any effort because I figured out how to change my lifestyle.

Thank you soooo much for adding me. I am so looking forward to learning from you! How long did it take you to lose all that weight. That’s just incredible. I was wondering about the loosing skin thing as well, because that has always been a big fear of mine!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Hey Amber, I lost 104 pounds and have maintained it so far. Add me if you like. I had skin surgery last year and am finally feeling like I'm healed now. I'm 61 years old so it was a bit of a wait for my body to heal. Feel free to ask me whatever you like.
  • Ravenswylde
    Ravenswylde Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey amber. I’m just now starting on this journey myself and have 138 lbs to lose. I’m also scared about loose skin. I’ve never been this heavy before and I hate looking in the mirror each morning. You are welcome to add me.
  • xxmoondew
    xxmoondew Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Amber! Please add me if you like. I am currently 219 lbs but I'm also only 5'2" lol. I'm Also trying to get some friends on here to help me stay motivated. Best of luck
    :D
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options
    Thank you every one I definitely need the motivation buddies!
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options
    Hey amber. I’m just now starting on this journey myself and have 138 lbs to lose. I’m also scared about loose skin. I’ve never been this heavy before and I hate looking in the mirror each morning. You are welcome to add me.

I have heard that if you lose your eight at a reasonable rate it’s not as bad. That makes a lot of sense to me as your giving your skin time to adjust. But I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

• jmaly78
    jmaly78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Amber, I have to loose around 150lbs too and would love to get support as well. I am not really sure how this community works but a lot of people are say "add me" so I gueas add me if you like and maybe we can keep each other motivated.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options
    jmaly78 wrote: »
    Hi Amber, I have to loose around 150lbs too and would love to get support as well. I am not really sure how this community works but a lot of people are say "add me" so I gueas add me if you like and maybe we can keep each other motivated.
    We can figure it out together!
  • VUA21
    Options

Thank you soooo much for adding me. I am so looking forward to learning from you! How long did it take you to lose all that weight. That’s just incredible. I was wondering about the loosing skin thing as well, because that has always been a big fear of mine!

The initial weight loss took 2 years (170lbs), then I took a break for a year. I'm down an additional 10 now. The first 50 came off quick compared to these last 20 (or so), I am currently working on.
  • VUA21
    Options

@Ravenswylde

I lost a total of 180lbs (so far). Loose skin happens, but, most of it will tighten up with time. It takes longer for skin to shrink than fat. I still have about 25% of the excess belly skin left. My turkey neck & bat wings have disappeared with time. I have a little bit on my thighs as well, not much, but it is there. Nothing that shorts (reasonable length for an adult woman) don't cover. I'm getting a tummy-tuck to remove the belly flap that is left after my year of recomp (no weight loss, just working out for cardio & strength while eating at maintenance) I was able to save up the money simply on the savings from buying a lot less groceries now that I don't eat nearly the amount I used to.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options

@Ravenswylde

I lost a total of 180lbs (so far). Loose skin happens, but, most of it will tighten up with time. It takes longer for skin to shrink than fat. I still have about 25% of the excess belly skin left. My turkey neck & bat wings have disappeared with time. I have a little bit on my thighs as well, not much, but it is there. Nothing that shorts (reasonable length for an adult woman) don't cover. I'm getting a tummy-tuck to remove the belly flap that is left after my year of recomp (no weight loss, just working out for cardio & strength while eating at maintenance) I was able to save up the money simply on the savings from buying a lot less groceries now that I don't eat nearly the amount I used to.

This is really great to hear! Honestly, eases a lot of my fears thank you so much for that. Also, think you’re right about the beginning being easier than the end. I think that is where I have failed in the past. Hit a wall hard and gave up. Then had surgery, which put me on bed rest for 12 weeks, then a baby. And I packed everything right back on. I’m more serious about it now than I have ever been though.

• Ravenswylde
    Ravenswylde Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @VUA21

Congratulations on the weight loss that is awesome! When you started out were you also strength training too? I've read some on it and it seems that may help with the loose skin but I may have misunderstood. I'm looking forward to your input on that. If you have any tips that would be great! I've dieted before and lost some weight but I think that was my problem because I looked at it like a diet and not like a lifestyle change. I'm reading as much as I can get my hands on about eating healthy as I've never really done that. One thing that I notice a big difference is I quit drinking coke. I haven't had one in almost 2 weeks and to be honest I don't really miss it much. I've tried to quit cokes before and I couldn't put them down no matter how hard I tried and this time it was pretty easy. I also have started drinking water. This was something I've never been able to do before either. I always mixed my water with some kind of Crystal Light or something like that. This time I actually love the taste of it and I've never been a water drinker before.

• VUA21
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @VUA21

Congratulations on the weight loss that is awesome! When you started out were you also strength training too? I've read some on it and it seems that may help with the loose skin but I may have misunderstood. I'm looking forward to your input on that. If you have any tips that would be great! I've dieted before and lost some weight but I think that was my problem because I looked at it like a diet and not like a lifestyle change. I'm reading as much as I can get my hands on about eating healthy as I've never really done that. One thing that I notice a big difference is I quit drinking coke. I haven't had one in almost 2 weeks and to be honest I don't really miss it much. I've tried to quit cokes before and I couldn't put them down no matter how hard I tried and this time it was pretty easy. I also have started drinking water. This was something I've never been able to do before either. I always mixed my water with some kind of Crystal Light or something like that. This time I actually love the taste of it and I've never been a water drinker before.

At first, no. Simply eating less than maintenance (CICO) for about a month. Then I started adding in a daily walk. I didn't add in strength training until I was about 250lbs. I did one change a month. It takes longer to only change one thing a month, but I found that at the end when I took a break that all those changes became my habits so maintenance was easy. During my break I did a lot more strength training though, hired a trainer and everything. I gained 6lbs back, but my body changed a lot - I lost a pants size during recomp, my waist narrowed a bit and my shoulders and arms started developing some definition. Technically my thighs got larger, but that was mostly muscle as they weren't as jiggly as before. So the strength training probably helped a lot, as well as time. Not sure which played a bigger role.