Gardening as exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Certain yard tasks burn significant calories: Raking, snow shoveling, digging, spreading mulch, manual hedge clipping. Others burn moderate calories: walk-behind mowing, running a heavy snow-blower, hand weeding.

Generally, you can tell by elevated heart rate. A fitbit can help here. (Although, when mine worked, I still did not link it to MFP. I cherry picked segments that I felt actually burned significant calories and manually added them in.) And I totally agree with @sijomial that you could just increase your activity setting in MFP and leave it at that.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If you want some great calorie burning gardening throw a dozen sunflower seeds in the garden. Come fall you will get an amazing workout digging those "$#$/#@ things up! Man those things have huge roots to them. NEVER AGAIN! lol
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If you want some great calorie burning gardening throw a dozen sunflower seeds in the garden. Come fall you will get an amazing workout digging those "$#$/#@ things up! Man those things have huge roots to them. NEVER AGAIN! lol

This is why I'm growing mine in pots LOL.

It's an experiment.