Miniumum calorie allowance for a male

Options
LisaMoxon155
LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
My partner and I are following MFP. Ive been on and off for a couple years so ive got the hang of it. MyOH has decided he wants to lose weight, which is brilliant. I support him and make meals i know are healty and will enjoy.
He has his allowance set to lose 1kg per week which gives him 1500 calories per day.
I know for a woman MFP calorie allowance will not drop below 1200.

What is it for a man??

As he knows ive been doing before, he asks me questions and i want to.make sure i have correct info

Replies

• chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    1500 is the lowest for a man how much does he need to lose? 1500 may be to low or 2 lbs a week may be to much depending on how much he has to lose if you give more info someone will give you advice
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1500, which shows that losing a kilogram a week is too aggressive for his size and he should choose a slower rate of loss.
  • LisaMoxon155
    edited June 2018
    Options
    He currently weighs 123 kg . Whats to get down to 100kg.
    Hes 6foot 2 tall and a broad man.
    Ive told him to increase the calories allowance but he wont.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

He needs to listen to you or else he will crash and burn. Its just not sustainable to see so low especially when he has a lot of weight to lose. Did he/you put his stats in to MFP to let it calculate his calorie allowance for say 1.5lb-2lbs a week?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I started at about the same weight as him, and lost quite easily/successfully on 2200-2400 calories/day.

1500 is too little for him, and probably won't even be sustainable for very long unless he enjoys being hungry and fatigued all the time.
  • LisaMoxon155
    Options

He needs to listen to you or else he will crash and burn. Its just not sustainable to see so low especially when he has a lot of weight to lose. Did he/you put his stats in to MFP to let it calculate his calorie allowance for say 1.5lb-2lbs a week?

He put his stats in. And got the target weight from google
    "Weight of average man of his height"
  • LisaMoxon155
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I started at about the same weight as him, and lost quite easily/successfully on 2200-2400 calories/day.

1500 is too little for him, and probably won't even be sustainable for very long unless he enjoys being hungry and fatigued all the time.

Think ill show him this post so he knows ot from someone who has been there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm suprised MFP gave him 1500, is he actually sedentary?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

He put his stats in. And got the target weight from google
    "Weight of average man of his height"

Tell him to put his stats into this calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Running his stats with a presumed age of 35, sedentary, with a 20% deficit, it gives him 2147 calories/day.

Running his stats through a BMI calculator, such as this one, shows that his current BMI is 34.7 (obese). A "normal"/healthy BMI weight range for a 6'2" man would be anywhere from 144-194 pounds (65-88 kg), according to that calculator. BMI isn't perfect as a standard, but for the vast majority of people it will yield at least a reasonable ballpark figure.
  • LisaMoxon155
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    1kg a week is very aggressive (that's about 2.2lbs for anyone in imperial), yes it would be nice to lose weight as fast as we can, but if he's looking at long term weight loss, changing habits is much more important.

A good way to begin is by just eating normally and logging everything for a week (and I mean everything, drinks, snacks, even if you think that it's "healthy", it gets logged). That way you can see how many calories he's eating now. Had he been gaining weight, or has he been around 123kg for a while now? If he's been staying about the same, then all he needs to do is eat less than that number and he'll lose weight. A general rough figure is by dropping 500 calories a day from what you're currently eating you'll lose about 1lb a week. This is a tried and tested goal and generally, no matter what size you are, fairly achievable. If he's then finding that easy after a couple of weeks then drop another 100 calories, and continue.

Remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint. I made the mistake of try to go too low when I started, and I couldn't hack it. I binged and was miserable and hungry and grumpy. I now have a smaller deficit and am losing slower, but I'm happy.