weighing versus the can

Options
ssmom
ssmom Posts: 128 Member
I weigh my foods, but I find the info on the cans confusing. For instance, canned tuna--I drain the liquid out and then weigh it. The can states 1/4 cup (56g). So I weigh out the 56g and I'm eating almost the entire can when there is supposed to be 2 servings--and also comes out to more than 1/4 cup. So when they give the weight in grams is that supposed to include the liquid they pack it in? Same goes for canned veggies. Am I making sense? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Totally makes sense because this happened to me. I was like, ummm where did the full second serving go??
    So, I gave up eating tuna...but, that's ok for me because I'm not real big into it. :)

Hope you find the answer!!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yeah ... it's not very fair, but that weight would include the fluid it's packed in.

You can figure out the drained serving size though by draining the can and weighing the total drained tuna. Then divide that weight by the number of servings in the can to find out how much drained tuna equals one serving.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I drain it and still divide it up into 2 unless I'm looking to include 4 oz. of protein in my salad etc. I agree, it's the liquid we're draining that they are including in a serving. Tuna used to be 6oz cans, now I see it's sometimes 4 oz and sometimes 5 oz.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I buy the smaller cans of tuna that are only 1 serving. :laugh:

I'm willing to pay more for convinience.