Amount of Calories Burned

Options
When I use the Treadmill or the Elliptical I don't enter in my weight. I don't know if that is important. Both the machines will say calories burned. But when I log them in to my exercise diary it has a much higher amount of calories burned. Which one should I use?

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    BUMP.

I log my workouts on MFP according to calories burned on what the machine tells me; but interested to hear others' views.
  • nikkip1982
    nikkip1982 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I use the Treadmill or the Elliptical I don't enter in my weight. I don't know if that is important. Both the machines will say calories burned. But when I log them in to my exercise diary it has a much higher amount of calories burned. Which one should I use?
    Entering your weight is important. I am 5' 7" and 180lbs. If I run for 30 minutes (which, sadly I cannot do) I will burn A LOT more than if I was 150lbs, because there is more there to burn. However, I never use the reading on the equipment. It may ask if you are M or F and age, but does not ask height.

I have the Polar F4 heart rate monitor, and love it. Good Luck!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The machine knows your intensity, but not your weight. MFP knows your weight, but not your intensity. When the numbers are super far apart, I use an average. I might also check against an online treadmill calculator (which always gives me a fairly high number) or another site (I also get an estimate from Spark People on occasion) and average all three or four. I think tend to round down and use that number.