Headache after exercising

Options
I always get a really bad headache after doing cardio. I do half an hour on the cross-trainer. I do push myself to get a good work out. I also drink about 2L of water throughut the day and another big glass whilst doing my workout and drink another glass throughout the evening. This still leaves me with a banging headache for the rest of the evening (and sometime the following morning), this is really putting me off doing any exercise as I feel rubbish for the rest of the day.

Does anyone have any advice on what im doing wrong and how I can sort this out?

Thanks!

Replies

• benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    Options
    It will probably just be your body getting used to it if its a new thing.... i used to get headaches at first but it soon passed, ie within a few weeks.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I get an exercise headache if I haven't had enough to eat or drink. A small snack after exercise usually helps.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I get these, too occasionally, especially when I do high-impact exercise like burpees. I just take an advil if they're still lingering the next day.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I get them too, I assume it's adrenaline levelling out again, or a blood pressure spike.

If it's bad enough, I take an Advil and then I'm good to go. Usually I just cool down, shower and relax before going to bed, and there is no morning headache!
  • reneeisnowhere
    Options
    I would discuss this with a medical professional actually. Headaches can be a sign of low blood sugar or not enough oxygen getting to your brain (or a multitude of things). I can think of a bunch of paranoid reasons, but then, I troll the Internet all the time, and that is NOT reality. Make a list of symptoms for a few days. Detail heart rate and diet and take to the doctor. If you have had a blood workup in the past year, they might take a new panel and compare. Remember, don't over do it! There is no reason to, if this is a total lifestyle change!

my 2 cents!
  • MikeDasTrainer
    Options
    take a glucose tablet or eat something with a basic sugar and a little salt before the workout. They'll help maintain water levels through different compartments of the body. This will hopefully prevent the headache from occuring.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I used to get exercise induced migraines which were due to dehydration.
    To check don't worry about your fluid input - frequency of going to the bathroom and colour of urine is a much better guide (Google urine colour charts for guidance).

Electrolyte imbalance could be another factor - especially if you sweat heavily. Maybe try a sports hydration drink rather than plain water?

Pre-workout foods might be worth experimenting with. Banana or some other carbs an hour before working out......
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I get really bad headaches during and after exercise. I've never gotten over it. I just deal with it.
  • stienmay
    Options
    I also have headache after intense workout. I have learned to breath while training and that helped a lot. I still have headache but they are not as bad as before. Sometimes we tend to hold our breath while doing intense exercises (jumping, lunges etc) but it's the opposite we need to exhale between exercises. Drinking water and eating well before training also helped (e.g. 2 toasts and peanut butter when I train in the morning) . It's all little things that makes a difference. Hope it helps and continue your great workout!
  • Kilokato
    Kilokato Posts: 33
    Options
    I always get a really bad headache after doing cardio. I do half an hour on the cross-trainer. I do push myself to get a good work out. I also drink about 2L of water throughut the day and another big glass whilst doing my workout and drink another glass throughout the evening. This still leaves me with a banging headache for the rest of the evening (and sometime the following morning), this is really putting me off doing any exercise as I feel rubbish for the rest of the day.

Does anyone have any advice on what im doing wrong and how I can sort this out?

Thanks!

I've got a couple of off-the-wall ideas if nothing else works!

This might sound really, really dumb, but it might be your glasses (or lack thereof). It's a long-shot, but try wearing your glasses when you work out; if you are already wearing them, try not wearing them. Either scenario can lead to headaches in different people. When I first started running, I used to get terrible headaches about 25-30 minutes in. The whole top of my head, back of my head and brain ached. It wasn't until about a month in that I realized I kept looking through my glasses when I was looking down, and then looking over my glasses when I looked down the trail. Every time I'd look at something different, my head would throb - the strain from shifting my field of vision repeatedly was giving me splitting headaches! The day after my realization I stopped wearing them during exercise, and the headaches instantly ceased. Haven't had one since.

Another possible solution that might sound dumb, but I've actually heard recommended by a physician: if you don't already drink a lot of caffeine, try a SMALL cup of coffee or a diet soda prior to your workout. Caffeine causes the blood vessels of the brain to constrict, which can reduce or alleviate your pain. Keep in mind that caffeine CAN be a diuretic in some people, and might lead to slight dehydration - be SURE to compensate for this by drinking extra water afterwards.

I'm no doctor, but if you're out of options, try one of these. Better than having to give up your exercise.

Good luck!
  • TamalanB
    Options
    This may sound foolish but I remember when I would push furniture around or help move furniture, if there was a candle going or any other artificial fragrance in the air I would get a massive headache. The over exertion and breathing in so deeply would over power me in scent. If you're exercising at home or in a non-scent free environment you may be taking in toxins that are giving you a headache.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Drink water. And lots of it.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I would discuss this with a medical professional actually. Headaches can be a sign of low blood sugar or not enough oxygen getting to your brain (or a multitude of things). I can think of a bunch of paranoid reasons, but then, I troll the Internet all the time, and that is NOT reality. Make a list of symptoms for a few days. Detail heart rate and diet and take to the doctor. If you have had a blood workup in the past year, they might take a new panel and compare. Remember, don't over do it! There is no reason to, if this is a total lifestyle change!

my 2 cents!

This- I would see a dr first then take advice of MFP friends :)
  • lakishamcquany
    lakishamcquany Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    could be blood pressure or a hydration problem.. sound serious, deffo see the doctor
  • please keep yourself hydrated during exercise, it might be becoz we are loosing lot of body water, salt and other minerals via sweat... seek GP's advise if it continues...
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You need to consider your whole nutrition plan rather than just water intake.

Could be worth using electrolyte drinks with some carbs in too, or maybe a recovery drink for some additional protein (milk works well too), maybe even an energy bar beforehand?

If it keeps happening then you need to see a professional about it.
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get then to, I always have though and I just take some asprin if they don't go away after a couple of hours.
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar problem with running! Anytime I run more than a couple miles, I end up spending the rest of the day with a headache. I hate having to take analgesics after every workout! Further, ibuprofen works best for me, but I am a professional singer, and ibuprofen is a no-no when doing lots of singing because it makes you more prone to hemorrhage. Like you, I drink ample water, so I don't think that's the problem. I wonder if I am just overheated, or the dilated blood vessels are triggering it, but either way, it surely doesn't encourage one to run if you are then worthless for the rest of the day.

Some suggestions about which I've been reading via googling:
    1. Sodium. Some have indicated that lack of sodium could trigger this, so one idea I have is to drink a small gatorade after the run to replenish.
    2. Overheating. Some friends recommended freezing a damp handkerchief and wearing it around my neck to stay cool during runs, and also running in the morning before it's too warm, which I already do to avoid heat, because I get heat-triggered migraines anyway.

I'll let you know how changes go for me!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The only time I tend to ever get headaches is when I'm low on electrolytes - and a sports drink or other electrolyte supplements will put an end to my headache in short order. But as to why you're getting headaches, your best bet is to talk to your doctor as there are many of reasons why you could be getting headaches.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to get a HRM and stay within your cardio range throughout the exercise. I used to get your problem really badly and it's completely gone away since I've stayed between 150-161 bpm for my cardio. (I'm 33 / F) [Before I'd stay in the 170-180 range]. It is frustrating to slow down but you build your endurance and speed up eventually.

Also replacing electrolytes is important so have a gatorade (or a more natural alternative if that's your thing) after your workout.