PB2?!

Options
sharke087
sharke087 Posts: 30 Member
I just started hearing about PB2 and other forms of dehydrated peanut butter? Anyone actually use this? Would it be a better protein source than doing whey protein shakes?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've used it. Mostly in smoothies and to make lower calorie peanut sauce.
  • csykes1976
    csykes1976 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use it quite often. PB2 brand has 5g of protein in a 2 tbsp serving. I add it to oatmeal as well as smoothies sometimes and my favorite is to add it into fat free vanilla greek yogurt. In that it tastes similar to a peanut butter pie filling and helps me fight off sugar cravings.
  • thynes1313
    thynes1313 Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I use it with my powders in shakes and thai sauces too. I LOVE the chocolate thinned out a little for a fruit dip.
  • pinksunnyrose
    pinksunnyrose Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I dip apple slices Into it either dry or wet...so tasty!
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have used PB2 for over a year, like it. Tru-Nut and Earthly Choice also has 5g protein but my favorite is earthly choice with a peanut & cocoa mixed. Slightly higher in calories (still really low). I don't eat regular PB at all. My fats all come from fish and MCT or XCT oil (you can mix the oil with PB2, if you want more oil based PB).

For true protein I use powdered/tasteless collagen (animal based) from grass fed sources. Obviously, I am not vegan. It is higher in protein per serving, low calorie and carb, can put it on/in anything. If you can tolerate the smell/taste, hemp protein powder (plant based) is low carb and high protein too. I like the micro nutrients in it the best but find it more difficult to integrate into my cooking/eating. Though...it works remarkable well in low carb brownies.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I use it stirred into Greek yogurt sometimes.
  • sharke087
    Options
    csykes1976 wrote: »
    I use it quite often. PB2 brand has 5g of protein in a 2 tbsp serving. I add it to oatmeal as well as smoothies sometimes and my favorite is to add it into fat free vanilla greek yogurt. In that it tastes similar to a peanut butter pie filling and helps me fight off sugar cravings.

I am trying this immediately! 😂
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Don't do it... I was so disappointed!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    The chocolate version tastes better (for obvious reasons). Problem with most peanut butter is that it has added sugar. PB2 by itself is not sweet at all to me. However, the chocolate version of it really has a good flavor. What I've been trying to find is the best of both worlds.. reduced fat peanut butter. It's done similarly but has about half the fat of the regular stuff, and a bit more than you'll find in PB powders like PB2. Just can't seem to find it in my area.
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it in a while but I remember it being super convenient and crazy kinda of tasty. I wasn't a big fan of the price and the sugar content.
    One of our local grocery stores has a peanut butter squasher. It's nice. I like to add my own sweetener or none at all. Makes for some interesting combinations!
  • sharke087
    Options

Was it the taste, or the impact it had on your fitness/meal goals that disappointed you?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sharke087 wrote: »

Was it the taste, or the impact it had on your fitness/meal goals that disappointed you?

I added it to my porridge... it smelt like peanut butter but just tasted.... vaguely nutty... at best. It's just not peanut butter!

It made an ok satay sauce for chicken though!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    sharke087 wrote: »

I added it to my porridge... it smelt like peanut butter but just tasted.... vaguely nutty... at best. It's just not peanut butter!

It made an ok satay sauce for chicken though!

You'll have to just 'take the plunge' and get some for yourself...I'm a lover of PB2!!

Mixed into oatmeal/yogurt...I even have put in cottage cheese -

I add a little salt (substitute for me) and some stevia...sometimes some cocoa powder too...but that's just my 'weird little preference' lol!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I think the thing that disappointed me the most with it is that it makes so little for the price. 2 tbsp is a serving size, but 2 tbsp of the powder does not make 2 tbsp of the product when mixed with the appropriate amount of water (or it didn't seem to me anyway). It's also very thin unless you add extra. So when you're looking at the calorie savings, consider that you're probably going to use 3x the serving size to make a PB sandwich. Still less than the calories of peanut butter, but not as much of a savings as you thought. The reduced fat peanut butters are about a 20% savings on the fat, but even those only gain you 3-4g extra peanut butter for the same calories as regular peanut butter.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I have 8 oz of fat free yogurt with 2 tbs of chocolate PB2 pretty much every morning. I like it. What's funny is how some people tell me they don't understand how I can have the same thing almost every morning while they are standing there with whatever flavor coffee they are fond of.
  • sharke087
    Options
    I am picking some up for sure, If I don’t like it I just won’t buy it again!

Thanks for all the tips!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I eat it daily! Love it!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Well there's always the option of combining the 2 - "sludge" = powdered whey protein + peanut butter (or any nut/legume butter for that matter). Add water/milk/etc. to desired consistency (pudding like); just seems more satiating that liquids
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Well there's always the option of combining the 2 - "sludge" = powdered whey protein + peanut butter (or any nut/legume butter for that matter). Add water/milk/etc. to desired consistency (pudding like); just seems more satiating that liquids

that's a good idea
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    No it's NOT peanut butter.....so if thats what you want is high fat peanut butter don't do it.
    When I want PB but not much left in my account....I do PB2 into a paste and dip celery sticks into it. Great substitute!