Should I measure my body fat in addition to weight? If so, what device should I use for that?

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would not spend any money on something like that. It's not going to give you an accurate number and most of the time won't be useful for tracking changes over time. Track your weight and look at yourself in the mirror. As long as you don't have problems such as body dysmorphia that will be enough.

Here's a good series on body fat measurement methods/devices: https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-body-fat-measurement-part-1/
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    If you want to get the tape, and are prepared to be consistent and disciplined with tracking and recording, it can be extra data points.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CENXCS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this to track my AC, but an analog tape is just as good.

I like the digital, because I can see the number while I'm taping.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If you want/need to put a # on it like I do, I recommend doing hydrostatic testing or getting a DXA scan to measure your BF.

In my experience based on quarterly measurements with both over 2 years, DXA always gives me a higher result than hydro, even when measurements are taken on the same day, and hydro has been more reliable and consistent than DXA. So, if you have a choice, I recommend hydro over DXA.

Bioelectrical devices (like scales) are both inaccurate and unreliable. Some suggest that you can still use one to measure a trend but if you can't rely on getting internally consistent results, why bother?

Better to just look in the mirror. A drop in BF correlates directly with weight loss but not necessarily with tape measurements. When you lose a significant amount of BF it will be noticeable in very specific ways but your body measurements may not change significantly. At least, that's the way it was for me.

Over an 18 month period while in maintenance at 160, my BF dropped from 16 to 8% and, my weight dropped just 3# from 160 to 157 but my tape measurements hardly changed at all.

For a very useful classification of these visual BF milestones, Google a search for a Youtube video entitled: Bodyfat % 101: Part 2. Sorry, I can't copy and paste a link to it w/my phone.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Since this is in "General Fitness" and not the "Bodybuilding" forum, I'll ask - Are you doing any weight training programs where you are reasonably expecting to put on significant amounts of muscle? If not, then I would say that there isn't a reason to bother separately tracking body fat instead of just weight.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    A DEXA is going to be the most accurate, followed by being measured by a professional (including MD's, physical therapists, and possibly registered dieticians).

For most people the mirror is the best and cheapest method. Simply see yourself in front of a mirror and look up "body fat percentage" images to give you a rough idea. Also, using a tape measure to measure various parts of your body (waist, chest, thighs....) and tracking them will give you a number related progress for yourself.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's important if you still have a good chunk of weight to lose, weight and measurements are more than enough in this case. By losing weight you will be losing fat by default. It may become more important at a lower weight if you have specific body fat goals or trying to recomp.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use callipers. Or rather, I get the wife to take the measurements, as you can’t really use them on yourself. I use the J&P 7 point method, about once a month.

Compared to the readings from my scales, the scales vary more but generally measure at least 1% higher.

I’m maintaining, so I don’t stress about individual readings at all. Just interested in the direction of travel. I’m a sucker for data, generally, so I also take tape measurements every other week.

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    If you want/need to put a # on it like I do, I recommend doing hydrostatic testing or getting a DXA scan to measure your BF.

In my experience based on quarterly measurements with both over 2 years, DXA always gives me a higher result than hydro, even when measurements are taken on the same day, and hydro has been more reliable and consistent than DXA. So, if you have a choice, I recommend hydro over DXA.

Bioelectrical devices (like scales) are both inaccurate and unreliable. Some suggest that you can still use one to measure a trend but if you can't rely on getting internally consistent results, why bother?

Better to just look in the mirror. A drop in BF correlates directly with weight loss but not necessarily with tape measurements. When you lose a significant amount of BF it will be noticeable in very specific ways but your body measurements may not change significantly. At least, that's the way it was for me.

Over an 18 month period while in maintenance at 160, my BF dropped from 16 to 8% and, my weight dropped just 3# from 160 to 157 but my tape measurements hardly changed at all.

For a very useful classification of these visual BF milestones, Google a search for a Youtube video entitled: Bodyfat % 101: Part 2. Sorry, I can't copy and paste a link to it w/my phone.

That is VERY interesting! I took measurements for the first time in year the other day and while it looked visually like I had put on muscle, my measurements were all the same except for my hips (grew some booty).
    VUA21 wrote: »
    A DEXA is going to be the most accurate, followed by being measured by a professional (including MD's, physical therapists, and possibly registered dieticians).

For most people the mirror is the best and cheapest method. Simply see yourself in front of a mirror and look up "body fat percentage" images to give you a rough idea. Also, using a tape measure to measure various parts of your body (waist, chest, thighs....) and tracking them will give you a number related progress for yourself.

Agree with this. ^ I've done several methods, but the cheapest, easiest and fairly accurate method is either comparing yourself with "body fat percentage" images or to have an objective party do it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    One time I had a trainer at the gym measure. She came up with 19%. I did an hand held BIA, that said 23%. My scale says 36%.

I just go with weight, sometimes measurements and what I look like in the mirror. Or sometimes I try to compare myself to pictures like this.

fat.jpg
  • eric2light
    eric2light Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Since this is in "General Fitness" and not the "Bodybuilding" forum, I'll ask - Are you doing any weight training programs where you are reasonably expecting to put on significant amounts of muscle? If not, then I would say that there isn't a reason to bother separately tracking body fat instead of just weight.

I'm not YET doing any bodybuilding. I'd like to think I'll add that to the program soon.