Weight lifting intensity

Options
Is lifting weights considered a light intensity workout or moderate or heavy? I just want to know what option to use for my calorie calculator such as (lightly active,active,very active) im basically sedentary until I go to the gym.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You have the wrong understanding of what MFP is asking about.

That is activity level with NO exercise being described for a reason - none is expected or accounted for.

Sedentary is less than 4000 steps a each and every day, no increase on the weekends to avg it out either.
    So basically a bump on a log - no household duties, no kids, no pets that require attention, ect.

Most, even with 45 hr desk job/commute, discovery they are Lightly Activity when they get an activity tracker.

You would then log your lifting workout when actually done, for the time just spent on that.

On that day you would then eat more to keep the same deficit for fat loss, and fuel your workout for recovery and improvement from it.
    No need to waste the effort after all, right?

That's how MFP works.
    Oh, yes, it's a small calorie burn in the database compared to say more intense cardio - and that is very true.
    Weights is 5-15 reps with 1-5 sets, 2-4 min rest between sets.
    Circuit training is 15 reps and up, rests up to 1 min, obviously lighter weight to rest so briefly and do so many reps. And it does burn more. Because it's closer to cardio.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    For TDEE calculators it will ask how many hours of exercise you do per week, so go by that. For MFP, irrelevant as exercise isn’t included in activity level.