Only eating when you are hungry?

So I’ve started to follow just one rule when it comes to eating. And that’s to only eat when I am feeling really hungry. I feel like I eat for the sake of it, it gets to 1pm and I think oh it’s lunch time I should eat some lunch etc. This is my first day of trying this out and I’ve only had 500 calories and I’m not hungry at all! My first snack was at 11.30 because I genuinely wasn’t hungry until then .. I have more energy today as well. Has anyone else tried this?

Replies

• Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    That could work. But I can see it working if your hunger levels are controlled. If you are always hungry you might find yourself eating too much. On the other hand if you don't get hungry you could undereat over time which is bad too. I am someone that doesn't get hungry but I need a minimum of calories and protein for health, body composition, fuel and workout performance so it wouldn't work for me.

But see how it goes. Just make sure you eat enough and aren't losing too fast for your stats.

Yeah that makes sense, I’ve had a main meal and two snacks today all of which are healthy .. so far so good! Just have to see how it goes!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    Definitely worth a try! Like you said, just see how it goes day to day.

I do that and have for years because it works for me. I think eating simply due to time of day, it's available at an event, etc. is a bad habit.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    That could work. But I can see it working if your hunger levels are controlled. If you are always hungry you might find yourself eating too much. On the other hand if you don't get hungry you could undereat over time which is bad too. I am someone that doesn't get hungry but I need a minimum of calories and protein for health, body composition, fuel and workout performance so it wouldn't work for me.

But see how it goes. Just make sure you eat enough and aren't losing too fast for your stats.

Yeah that makes sense, I’ve had a main meal and two snacks today all of which are healthy .. so far so good! Just have to see how it goes!

Yea it will probably make you more aware of your hunger cues and how to manage them. Keep us posted!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I did this in the beginning when I was learning the difference between hunger and appetite. I found myself not eating enough initially, but I realize that my motivation at the time was high and I knew I couldn't sustain this over a long period of time.

I still ask myself this from time to time just to keep me in check. Keeping cues in check and knowing when to eat to keep my performance level up.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i wish it worked. my stomach growls all the time.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 859 Member
    Wouldn't work for me as I don't get hungry till I'm really hungry then by then I want to eat all the things
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    That would be intuitive or mindful eating. It doesn't work for me but let us know how it works out for you.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    yeah with IE my trouble is- stopping when full which is just as important as ONLY eating when hungry. Oh well- for me- it seems counting calories will just have to continue.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    I think it's a great method for some people, and if it works you're hopefully setting yourself up for a more natural feeling maintenance. It wouldn't work for me because I have a tendency to under-eat when I'm busy and then snack on junk when I'm bored (not out of hunger). My diet would be all over the place, and not in a healthy way.
  • Mandylou19912014
    I think this is a great way to eat. If you look at my diary, you'll see that I changed the name of my meals, it's no longer listed as breakfast/lunch/dinner as I changed it to meal#1/meal#2/meal#3/etc. I felt like having the traditional meal names kept me feeling like I needed to eat on some sort of regimented schedule. When I was younger, I routinely skipped breakfast and sometimes even lunch, it was just natural to me. And guess what? I stayed thin without trying. Once I started working a full time job, having 3 meals a day plus snacks was the "cool thing to do" LOL so I fell in to that pattern and then the weight started piling on. Now I'm trying to listen to my body and eat when hungry. Some days I eat 4 or 5 times, some days I just eat once. I'm still tracking my calories, but it makes it so much easier to stay in my allowance when I'm really focusing on listening to my body and only eating when hungry.

That’s really good to hear! I definitely think that we should just eat when our bodies tell us too, I’m finding already that I don’t start eating until around just before mid day and then once I’ve had a meal and a little snack I don’t want to eat until the late afternoon.
  • Mandylou19912014
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i wish it worked. my stomach growls all the time.
    Haha yeah my stomach growls all the time, but weirdly it’s not been since eating like this. I find that I feel fuller for longer .. I usually graze every 2 hours so I’m never satisfied and always looking for the next snack
  • Mandylou19912014
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Definitely worth a try! Like you said, just see how it goes day to day.

I do that and have for years because it works for me. I think eating simply due to time of day, it's available at an event, etc. is a bad habit.

Yeah I totally agree with you, it seems to be a bad habit .. so far so good .. yesterday I managed 1000 calories and started eating at around mid day which cut out breakfast but seems to work
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    So I’ve started to follow just one rule when it comes to eating. And that’s to only eat when I am feeling really hungry. I feel like I eat for the sake of it, it gets to 1pm and I think oh it’s lunch time I should eat some lunch etc. This is my first day of trying this out and I’ve only had 500 calories and I’m not hungry at all! My first snack was at 11.30 because I genuinely wasn’t hungry until then .. I have more energy today as well. Has anyone else tried this?

I do a version of that - I usually have a good breakfast - then graze through the day. then a real meal later in the day. Eastcoast Jim
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    debtay123 wrote: »
    yeah with IE my trouble is- stopping when full which is just as important as ONLY eating when hungry. Oh well- for me- it seems counting calories will just have to continue.

Yeah, stopping when full is my challenge as well.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    I'm never hungry so this wouldn't work.

Yeah, I don’t get hungry either. If I’m not eating enough, I go straight to lightheaded, feeling weak, no energy, sweating. Never really hit “hungry”.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    My hunger/fullness cues are not reliable for me to do this.
    I do better when I just eat at scheduled times and the amounts that would fit my goals. Routine and planning are more helpful to me than feelings.