Nuts

Options
BunBun85
BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
So I've gorged myself on chili nuts today and they are pretty high calorie, high carb but they are also high protein which I like in the morning, they have some salt on them to help with morning sickness and they really keep me full for a long while.

Is there another type of nut or seeds that will give me all the positives that I like but with less calories and carbs?

Replies

• RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    So you want salted, high protein, low cal, low carb? These are all high cal because they are fat dources, but... Pumpkin and sunflower seeds, peanuts, pecans, and almonds probably have what you're looking for.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Nuts themselves are naturally higher in calories, fat and carbs, which actually makes them really good for you, you just have to watch your portion size or you rack up the calories in no time. However because you're getting a flavored nut, they may be higher in fat (added oils) and sodium from the spice mix. Try natural almonds, walnuts, pistachios, etc that are unsalted. You could always sprinkle with a little salt if you need that for morning sickness. And be sure to portion them out ahead of time if you can't control yourself. I'm the same way with nuts and other little snackie things like that (trail mix, wasabi peas, etc). Put the whole can in front of me and it'll probably be gone by the end of the day! :)
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'll look into all of these when I am next at the market. We have quite the selection of nuts and seeds at the local shops, it'll be nice to have a direction to head towards.

That's a really good idea about portioning them out ahead of time, thank you! I'm going to experiment with unsalted and salted variations and see if it's really the salt that settles my tummy or just the fact that I've eaten something. I guess I just assumed it was the salt because I've read heaps of pregnant women say that it helps. Maybe I can find a dried ginger something that's healthy to try as well.

Thank you both so much! This has given me a lot to think about and maybe I can find something else instead of nuts to give me the same feeling.