Reaching Target then Maintaining it...

Options
Hi everyone.

So I have recently got to my target weight of 60kg after 39 weeks of "flexible" but mindful eating. I started off around 1800 calories and reduced to about 1300-1400 in the last few weeks or so.

I am wondering how people cope/manage with maintaining their weight? Are you less strict with yourself or more strict now that you have reached the weight you are happy to maintain?

I still have worries of gaining weight again even though I have lost 40lbs. I want to get over the obsession of being this particular number and start to enjoy life again without calorie counting religiously but I still want to have control over the diet...

Any advice?

Replies

• antwanettathompson196
    Options
    Took the words right out of my mouth!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've been at maintenance essentially for 3 years. I've had specific performance goals that drove me from bulking to cutting, but these have been purposeful movements.

I setup multiple feedback mechanisms to mitigate against failure. I log, although lazily. I check my weight once a week minimum. ...but my greatest check is running and lifting and my athletic performance.

I never eliminated specific foods, but I know what foods I need to tread carefully around. Potato chips for example. So I keep these at a minimum.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    For me, I continued tracking calories for a while. I am transitioning to not tracking anymore. I still log during the week (m-f) but very loosely. I don’t weigh and measure. Lots of estimating. And actually lately I’ve been logging up through breakfast lunch and snacks, and I don’t bother with dinner. I have an acceptable weight range. I continue to weigh myself once a week. If my weight ever gets too high then I’ll hop back on the calorie deficit bandwagon for a few weeks or whatever. And I stay active. That is important for me as it gives me a lot more wiggle room. I agree with what some others said. It’s good for me to have some “rules” or boundaries. Like no snacking mindlessly on a bag of chips. I pay attention to what I’m eating. I’ll eat my three meals plus a couple snacks. If I ever find myself grabbing stuff to eat at home I try to stop and ask myself if I’m actually hungry, or am I just eating this for no reason?