Why is Zumba so popular?

Options

Replies

• born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Doesn't look like it does anything for you other than a bit of cardio. What do I know, I don't waste my time dancing that crap. I'd rather shuffle. Burns way more calories than ZUMBA!!!!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    BECAUSE IT'S A DANCE PARTAY..............
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    It's like being a straight girl going to a gay nightclub. You get to dance maniacally without creepy people trying to hit on you or rub up against you the whole time.

That being said, I went to one Zumba class and the teacher had no rhythm and she hated every minute of being there. It was a negative experience, but I'm not willing to write off the concept.
  • junejadesky
    Options
    It's the trendy cardio class of the moment.

Early 90's - Step aerobics
    Late 90's - Kick boxing/Tae Bo
    2000's - Spinning
    2010's - Zumba
    2020 - ??? no classes because we'll all be running from real zombies.

ETA - bootcamp, also popular mid 2000''s

You forgot the 1980's: Jazzercise baby!!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

2000's - Spinning
    2010's - Zumba

Don't forget Prancercise!
  • hot2def
    hot2def Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Because it is SO much fun!! It's like a party! Although, you should check out more than one instructor. Not all instructors are created equal as not all parties are fun. Then class I attend has disco lights, bright colors, and awesome up-to-date music. We always have lots of fun. Am going to start taking my 8 year old daughter with me because she loves to dance!
  • junejadesky
    Options

2000's - Spinning
    2010's - Zumba

Don't forget Prancercise!

OH MY!! How could I have forgotten! Boy we did some weird things in the 80's
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Where I go to the gym, I kept hearing about this Zumba class and finally I tried. The instructor was built like a female body builder and told us if we were conservative prudes, her class was NOT for you, as we are here to shake, dance and get dirty. The warm up had me out of breath and I was hooked on her Zumba class because she was really good. When she left, the attendance was so bad the class was cancelled. We have a new instructor who does not come close to the last one. I think its a fun class if you want to burn a few calories, learn how to gyrate and work your hips.
  • Kasmira0004
    Kasmira0004 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    the same reason Tae Bo was popular in the 90's. it's just the current exercise fad. Which I do zumba myself, and love it!

I still do Tae Bo! hahaha

I love zumba, but don't go to any classes. I do it at home and it's great because my kids get involved too. I'm sure I look ridiculous but I think it's a fun work out.
  • JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA!!! I love it because I love to dance and I'm getting an awesome workout at the same time. After an hour I am sweating like crazy!! I feel great!! I am addicted!!!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It burns a lot of calories, and it's fun (for some people), so they don't really feel like they're working out. At least, that's what I've heard. I don't enjoy it all that much, personally- but I think it's because I feel like a complete idiot while doing it, even when I'm alone. I have all the coordination of a blind bull wearing Jimmy Choos.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I found it fun to do when in a group setting. Alone, I just felt really dumb spazzing out in my living room.

*shrug*
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm another Zumba lover! :) It's the only workout that I thoroughly enjoy. Yes the time does fly when I do a class and I sweat like crazy! I actually look forward to doing it and I can definitely start to see the changes in body from doing Zumba on a regular basis. Plus I love dancing and music. Some people might find it boring but I find running/walking on a treadmill boring. Definitely not for everyone but if your looking for something upbeat and to just let lose, Zumba is a good pick :)
  • Emmy360
    Emmy360 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ZZZZZUUUUUMMMMBBBBAAAAAA!!!
    Love the calories it burns [major] in a short time.
    It's fun
    Can do it indoors on a rainy day.
    Uses different muscles to walking =]:love:
    Always Changing It UP :flowerforyou:
  • Hazel0096
    Hazel0096 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible dancer. Down right HORRIBLE!!

A couple months ago I thought I would give Zumba a try and I found myself smiling and thinking how much I was enjoying myself during my class. I have been going 3 times a week since then. I love it!

I am still a terrible dancer but I am learning the dance moves and I don't feel like I am being spazzy at all. I feel like I get a great work out, get to listen to some really fun music and get out to meet some new people.

I will continue to go for sure, still really love it! I can honestly say this is the first time I've found an activity that I really WANT to do instead of telling myself that I have to do.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I tried it once because the cardio kickboxing instructor had to work late on his other job and the Zumba instructor filled in his time slot at the gym.

It was fun, but most of the time I was trying not to fall down.

I guess some people just would rather not run, do kickboxing, do the step mill, etc...and some people just really like dancing.
  • corrsfan
    corrsfan Posts: 26
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba because it is by far the most fun workout I have ever done. I use DVDs at home, not a class at the gym and that definitely works better for me. I would probably be self conscious in a class. Zumba keeps my heart rate up there but because I'm having fun it doesn't feel that strenuous. This is the only workout which makes me spontaneously smile (I love Tae Bo, 30 Day Shred, etc. but you will not catch me smiling during those workouts).
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I find that it's a completely different atmosphere than other group fitness classes. The class I go to, there are disco lights going, loud music that just makes you want to move and the actual Zumba moves are easy to learn and fun to do. I don't think there is anything "special" or "unique" about it that makes it better than any other aerobic interval class though. It's just a fun way to exercise for an hour.

THIS!!!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    For those who say they tried it once and didn't like it because they lack coordination, you have to try it a few times to learn the routines. Anyone can do it, you don't have to be able to dance. It burns a ton of calories!!! 500-1,000/hour, depending on your weight and how hard you push yourself. I love to dance, so naturally I love it! I tried hip hop abs, and didn't really like it, I thought it was boring, although it was nice looking at Sean T. ;) . Zumba is fun! It's much more exciting than the treadmill/elliptical. Also, instructors make up their own routines, so if you didn't like one class, you might like someone elses. I try to keep my routines pretty simple, since I live in Alabama, not too many dancers out here. One reason I like it, is because since it's latin music, it's not the same songs you hear on the radio 100 times/day, so the songs are new and different., although we do use music that you'd hear on the radio too. I've been doing it for 2 years, and eventually became an instructor. I've lost 60lb's thanks to Zumba. I love, love, love it!!! :D
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I also want to add, that I have been very overweight since I was a little kid. Thanks to Zumba, I am now at a healthy weight. It's the only exercise that I can really stick to, because I love it so much. :heart: :happy: