Lose under arm fat?

Options
Has anyone lost under arm fat from strength straining? People say it's not possible to target fat loss but I just don't believe it... I'm not fat anymore but my arms are still flabby and I already see a difference from from lifting weights ... would love to see some before and afters of people's arm progress. What types of exercises are you doing?

Replies

• Metalman224
    Metalman224 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you are not fat anymore is it possible it is just loose skin.
    How rapidly did you lose the weight?
    If it was excessive amounts of weight in very short time it may have left you with loose skin. Skin is amazingly elastic but it does have its limits. If you were severely overweight before it may have stretched beyond it ability to snap back. Weights may help to a degree but may also make the issue worse as recomposition may make it look worse. Your doctor will be able to give you the best advice.
    It may be a case where surgery is required, maybe not. There is no way for any of us to tell or give you correct advice on this matter as there is much we don't know and everyone is different.
    Good luck!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If that were the case my legs and glutes would be shredded by now because of how often I work them. They are not.

What strength training in a deficit does it helps preserve the muscle so you have a more defined appearance as you lose.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    People say it's not possible to target fat loss but I just don't believe it...

Believe it. It's not possible to target fat loss.

Fat has no contractile properties and cannot be exercised. Exercising the muscles beneath the fat has no effect on the subcutaneous fat above them, because the fat isn't doing anything because it can't because it's just fat.

Here's a study which tested spot reduction:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21804427

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Has anyone lost under arm fat from strength straining? People say it's not possible to target fat loss but I just don't believe it... I'm not fat anymore but my arms are still flabby and I already see a difference from from lifting weights ... would love to see some before and afters of people's arm progress. What types of exercises are you doing?

You can believe it or not...but you cannot spot reduce fat with exercise. To "burn" subcutaneous fat, it must be first converted to triglycerides and sent into the blood stream...this happens from all over, not a specific spot.

I you could spot reduce with exercise, I'd be a Greek God by now.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'd be a Greek God by now.

@cwolfman13

Wait.

What?

You're Not ?

*illusions shattered
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'd be a Greek God by now.

@cwolfman13

Wait.

What?

You're Not ?

*illusions shattered

@Motorsheen

Maybe slightly better than average...maybe...
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    its just loose skin and sometimes time will shrink it up so you may think its from lifting weights when it could just the skin shrinking back over time Also if you do get a little bit of tricep growth from lifting it will fill in and firm up under the skin a bit giving the illusion of less hangy skin.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Strength training can help build muscle in a particular area, so it may make you happier with that area's appearance. You still can't spot reduce fat. As Neil deGrasse Tyson said, "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."