Options
2»

Replies

• snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I love Mrs. Butterworth! I didn't realize she was into cheat days. Although, a big pile of pancakes with syrup and bacon would make an awesome cheat meal.

Pancakes with syrup and bacon would relax my mind and let me forget about calories!

I splurged on some french toast and sausage Sunday for brunch. It was fewer calories than I expected, like 900. (I don't typically douse it with gallons of syrup, so that may have helped.) Didn't have lunch later, but I was still stuffed.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I always think about cheating :D but it's only cheating myself and I end up logging and is that still cheating???
    There are days I go over my logging accounts...is that cheating or is cheating taking a double double burger and fries into the closet and not logging it??? I can't do that!
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think enjoying the way food TASTES on occasion is part of life, and if you're on vacation or doing something else that's "special," enjoying a treat is a nice thing. I don't think over-eating, though, where you end up with heartburn or reflux and you have to unbutton your pants, is healthy or worth it, and try not to do it.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I always think about cheating :D but it's only cheating myself and I end up logging and is that still cheating???
    There are days I go over my logging accounts...is that cheating or is cheating taking a double double burger and fries into the closet and not logging it??? I can't do that!

IMO, cheating is not logging. Going over and logging is not cheating if you account for the overage using either time or deficit.

What I mean by that is that if you are in weight loss mode, you can make up for the overage just by returning to the deficit you were eating at, knowing that the overall loss will take a little more time or you could increase your deficit (if you can do that, still have a healthy total and not get so hungry that you binge) to catch back up with where you should be in terms of weight lost.

I am in maintenance, so all the time in the world won't make up for the overage I had the last couple of days if I just eat maintenance calories. I have to eat at a deficit to account for them.

I have had a few close calls where I ate something like I was sneaking it and didn't log it right away. But then I would think about it more and log it. If I go back over my diary and try to get a sense for what my true maintenance is, I need accurate data. I don't want to get into that game of pretending I don't know why my weight is creeping back up.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    You're overthinking this. The calorie count is going to determine the effect it has upon your weight loss.

If you eat 2000 calories worth of whole pizza, donuts, burgers, etc. or 2000 calories at an all you can eat buffet, it's going to have the same effect. And you didn't specify specifically what you ate in either case, so TEF is a moot point in the discussion. The commonly accepted TEF for a mixed macronutrient meal is around 10%, and neither of your examples specify the macro composition - but with the examples you gave, both could be assumed to commonly be mixed macronutrient meals.

Is it too early to suggest he try a 7000 calorie cake sammich binge?

It's never too early for a cake sammich.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Maybe the Butterfield-diet plan has it nailed down. They call it a treat day.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

IMO, cheating is not logging. Going over and logging is not cheating if you account for the overage using either time or deficit.

What I mean by that is that if you are in weight loss mode, you can make up for the overage just by returning to the deficit you were eating at, knowing that the overall loss will take a little more time or you could increase your deficit (if you can do that, still have a healthy total and not get so hungry that you binge) to catch back up with where you should be in terms of weight lost.

I am in maintenance, so all the time in the world won't make up for the overage I had the last couple of days if I just eat maintenance calories. I have to eat at a deficit to account for them.

I have had a few close calls where I ate something like I was sneaking it and didn't log it right away. But then I would think about it more and log it. If I go back over my diary and try to get a sense for what my true maintenance is, I need accurate data. I don't want to get into that game of pretending I don't know why my weight is creeping back up.

one of the reasons I do not "cheat". I will cut calories for a day or two if I know I am going out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, but when I'm presented with the opportunity to eat whatever and however much I want and happen to be in the "IDGAF mode", I would go for buffet most times. I really like variety, and I can have pizza any time so it doesn't sound special unless I'm specifically craving pizza. I don't have access to a buffet whenever I want, at least not the kind I like. It would also depend on the food available. I'm not crazy about meat, so if the buffet is mostly meat based dishes, my choices are limited and it's not as appealing.

Are you bulking or cutting

Neither. I'm kind of in a diet limbo right now. I'm maintaining, but not really. I have my calories set to maintenance but don't bank the calories if I eat less one day, so I end up slowly losing. I'm kind of taking a semi-break.

My answer wouldn't be different regardless of my caloric balance. I just don't feel the need for a dedicated cheat day. I can have whatever I want whenever I want even when trying to keep a deficit. There are many ways to achieve that, be it by eating smaller portions, having a food less often, manipulating the caloric content of other meals/days, or being active enough to afford it. I don't usually go for big deficits when I'm losing weight, so there is that.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    Alternate! 1x Cheating Pizza with 1x Cheating Buffet. Preferably not at the same time so as not to dilute their effect. Goal is dirty bulking, right?