Cholesterol confusion

Options
I just had lab work done and my doctor said my cholesterol is the highest she's ever seen and wants to put me on medication. I don't understand this because I never eat fast food or fried food. When I cook, I use either grape-seed oil or olive oil, and I try to use sparingly. What foods should I be staying away from??

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    fuzzylop72 wrote: »
    The impact of dietary cholesterol on blood cholesterol is very low unless you're a hyperresponder.

This^ Are you overweight and sedentary? In those without hereditary cholestetolemia, those are 2 of the biggest factors.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Try stopping meat, dairy and eggs for 30 days.

Why?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    What are your actual numbers? And breakdown of LDL / HDL and triglycerides?

High cholesterol numbers are not always the full picture.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm meeting with my doctor on Friday to discuss. I know my father and one of my sisters has high cholesterol and both are on medication. I am already dieting but focusing more on calories than cholesterol. I do exercise (minimum 10,000 steps per day) but I don't do a lot of cardio or anything that really gets my heart rate up. I truly appreciate the insight and input!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    What are your actual numbers? And breakdown of LDL / HDL and triglycerides?

High cholesterol numbers are not always the full picture.

^^^^^Ding ding ding! Technically, I have high cholesterol. But, I am in the lower end of "normal" for my LDL or "bad" cholesterol, and at the high end for HDL or "good" cholesterol. So while my numbers may be high, I am in no need of any medication to lower my cholesterol.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm meeting with my doctor on Friday to discuss. I know my father and one of my sisters has high cholesterol and both are on medication. I am already dieting but focusing more on calories than cholesterol. I do exercise (minimum 10,000 steps per day) but I don't do a lot of cardio or anything that really gets my heart rate up. I truly appreciate the insight and input!

Weight loss can raise cholesterol, mainly triglycerides, for a while. It can take 6 or so months for numbers to stabilize after losing weight.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    My cholesterol was very high last October, and my doctor was also considering medications for it. I subsequently started exercising regularly, dieting, and lost 50 lbs. 8 months later, my levels were back in the normal range.

If you are overweight or not exercising regularly like I was, you may have success in lowering your cholesterol by losing weight and exercising.