stupid binge urge

Options
2»

Replies

• Neiross1
    Neiross1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Neiross1 wrote: »
    1700 calories is quite low. Why is it so important to be in a weight range are you competing in a weight class?

1700 seems to be accurate for me on days that I get no exercise. I only get ~1500 steps on those days.

That makes sense, best of luck with your goals.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I am trying to beat the binge senseless with a paddle. Last night I paddled my SUP 8.6 miles. Tonight I did 7.7 miles. I edited the 1152 calories Strava wanted to award me down to 550. I have 199 left right now and might not use them. I have had ~1900; I am not starving myself.

I recognize that we each do our own thing and that, ultimately, what works for each one of us in order to wrangle our mental hamsters into doing what we want them to do is what is *correct* for us.

You are quite open about what you go through and have developed a unique way of wrangling your numbers that makes sense to you.

If others are evaluating your accounting method, the danger in what you're doing is that you are recording EDITED numbers that have been influenced by your perception and proximate exigencies.

This has the potential of making your collected data not consistent over time. Which reduces your ability to draw conclusions from your past data if you ever try to go back and review what was taking place.

I've also noticed that you talk about specific weights at which you know you need to take action. Are you using a trending weight app or web site to determine the numbers at which you will react, or are you relying on more volatile direct scale results?

Volatility in weights is unusual for me. When I was maintaining at 160, I went 3 weeks without having a weight that wasn't within .6 pounds of 160. But this week I had some major feedbag days and some substantial exercise sessions to offset them. Anyway, that's my excuse for not using a trending app.

Yeah, I cooked the books a little yesterday and made what might have been a 600 calorie deficit look like 200 by setting my goal back by 150 and only taking 550 for paddling almost 8 miles on a slow SUP that almost certainly takes 100+ calories per mile. I set my calories to 1600 today (100 low) and I am taking a rest day. I plan to trend lower slowly for a couple of weeks.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am trying to beat the binge senseless with a paddle. Last night I paddled my SUP 8.6 miles. Tonight I did 7.7 miles. I edited the 1152 calories Strava wanted to award me down to 550. I have 199 left right now and might not use them. I have had ~1900; I am not starving myself.

I recognize that we each do our own thing and that, ultimately, what works for each one of us in order to wrangle our mental hamsters into doing what we want them to do is what is *correct* for us.

You are quite open about what you go through and have developed a unique way of wrangling your numbers that makes sense to you.

If others are evaluating your accounting method, the danger in what you're doing is that you are recording EDITED numbers that have been influenced by your perception and proximate exigencies.

This has the potential of making your collected data not consistent over time. Which reduces your ability to draw conclusions from your past data if you ever try to go back and review what was taking place.

I've also noticed that you talk about specific weights at which you know you need to take action. Are you using a trending weight app or web site to determine the numbers at which you will react, or are you relying on more volatile direct scale results?

Volatility in weights is unusual for me. When I was maintaining at 160, I went 3 weeks without having a weight that wasn't within .6 pounds of 160. But this week I had some major feedbag days and some substantial exercise sessions to offset them. Anyway, that's my excuse for not using a trending app.

Yeah, I cooked the books a little yesterday and made what might have been a 600 calorie deficit look like 200 by setting my goal back by 150 and only taking 550 for paddling almost 8 miles on a slow SUP that almost certainly takes 100+ calories per mile. I set my calories to 1600 today (100 low) and I am taking a rest day. I plan to trend lower slowly for a couple of weeks.

I could be wrong, of course, but I suspect that when you stop pushing/erring towards being in a deficit and come closer to the max maintenance calories you can eat without pushing into long term continuing gains... your weight variability will increase. If nothing else food in digestive system and sodium will do that!

Maybe, but I had that 3 week stretch of very stable weight. I know that isn't really that long and I was walking/paddling and doing some voodoo with the exercise numbers, but still it was surprising that I had no spikes.

I still haven't beat the paranoia yet. This thread is an example; I was worried that I was on the road to ruin and never got out of the range I set comfortably below my real limit. It was only a spike that got me to the top of it. In two or three weeks I will probably hit the bottom and think about going lower. I probably am going to be 5'7" instead of 5'8" at my next physical (already thinking about justifications).