Plateauing, or Something...

Options
I'm really proud of my weight loss; 58 pounds is a lot! But the pace of my weight loss has screeched to a near-halt in the last month or so, and my weight is jumping all over the scale as of late. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I have changed my routine to include substantially more strength training than I had done previously, but I am curious to hear what others in this similar situation have done to jumpstart their weight loss again.

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm really proud of my weight loss; 58 pounds is a lot! But the pace of my weight loss has screeched to a near-halt in the last month or so, and my weight is jumping all over the scale as of late. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I have changed my routine to include substantially more strength training than I had done previously, but I am curious to hear what others in this similar situation have done to jumpstart their weight loss again.

It's your addition of strength training. When you change your routine to add exercises/work that your body isn't used to it will retain water for repair. The scale will probably bounce around or stall out for a while, then it will get started again. Also, as you get closer to your goal weight the weight loss will slow down.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    First, as you may know, the closer you get to goal, the slower the weight is going to come off. Make sure you're adjusting your goals to meet your current status. For instance, you may have done fine with a 2 pound per week goal before but 1 pound per week would be more reasonable and healthy for you now.
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Second, it's probably mostly from the increased strength training. You may get some answers saying that you've gained muscle but that's nearly impossible on a calorie deficit. You will maintain muscle with proper traniing and diet but not gain unless at maintenance or above. There is such a thing as newbie gains but there's still fairly small and that period doesn't last long. When you increase the intensity (in any way - longer run, more weights, etc) your muscles will suffer microtrauma. Subsequently, those tissues retain water and glycogen as part of the natural healing process.

It's sort of the same concept as your ankle swelling after you sprain it but less obvious as it's spread over a larger area.

P.S. Congrats on your progress so far and just try to be patient and concentrate on health the rest of the way.