Pasta Alternative

Options
lolowjc05
lolowjc05 Posts: 22 Member
edited June 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I don’t know about everyone else but I sometimes just want spaghetti. It is so hard to stay off the carbs though with pasta. I found this alternative and it is so good! It has 17 carbs, 11 fiber, and 23 protein!! I got it at Hy-Vee in the organic section. I live in the Midwest. Anyways, just wanted to share!! Good luck to all out there on their weight loss journey!

Replies

• skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Edited to add: Sorry, didn't realize you weren't asking for suggestions. And now I can't delete my post. Good find!

Shirataki Noodles! They're a godsend, I swear. I get the plain ones, not the tofu (I think the brand was Nonsoyu, or something along those lines). You need to rinse them under water to get rid of the earthy smell, as well as give them a dry fry in a pan to release moisture. A whole package is 60 calories or something like that? Top with marinara and enjoy! They have virtually no taste once you do the rinse and fry (they have a funky smell when you take it out of the bag, but don't be put off by that!)
  • lolowjc05
    lolowjc05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    No problem!! I could always use some more ideas and alternatives. Thanks for your post! :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't have a spiralizer, but the supermarkets near me are now carrying spiralized veggie noodles. As I type this, I'm having a stirfry on turnip noodles. Butternut squash are great too. I find zucchini to easy to overcook, beet doesn't do it for me and I've yet to try the carrot and sweet potato versions.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I think it's Muller that makes a protein spaghetti (pea base or something like that), it's as cheap as regular spaghetti, often goes on BOGO , has 20 gs of protein and my family hasn't yet realized it isn't "normal" spaghetti. It sits on the shelf right next to the normal pasta. I like it because it keeps me full longer!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    What's wrong with regular pasta/carbs? I still eat spaghetti, I just have an appropriately weighed out portion, which is good because before I could never finish spaghetti as I had too much.

here here!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Bean pasta? I like beans, I like pasta, I'm curious if I would like bean pasta. Sounds interesting. When I want pasta I just have pasta (I don't care much about carbs), but I'm not against trying new things. Is it expensive?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    The soy pastas (and black bean pastas) I've had have been very chewy, not textured like regular pasta. (I've not tried your brand, so maybe it's different.) I like the ones I've tried in Asian-style preparations (such as peanut sauce), but don't care for them in the more Mediterranean-esque tomato or cheese sauce variations.

For the latter, I prefer chickpea or lentil pasta, which has somewhat less protein (15ish grams per serving, vs. 20s for the soy), but a texture more similar to wheat pasta. (I find it to have a slightly flatter flavor, so hearty sauce is tastier.)

I also like spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, as long as the tomato sauce has fennel seed in it (go figure ;) ), even though it tastes a lot different than wheat pasta.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I agree that those bean pastas I do find edible should be reserved for Asian style dishes.

For Mediterranean recipes I just use wheat pasta, but less of it than before, due to calories, not carbs.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great ideas!!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Meh, not for me then. I'm not too crazy about Asian style pasta dishes and 99% of my pasta dishes are Mediterranean style.
  • valligraves
    valligraves Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I personally used a hand spiralizer and make zucchini noodles. I have not missed pasta at all. It's what I put in it that makes it for me.
  • JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Birds Eye has some great "fake" pasta made with veggies and lentils. I really love them and the texture is no different to me than real pasta. Calorie wise it isnt bad either (not sure what the macro breakdown is). I live in the South and usually can find them in the freezer sections of local stores like Food Lion and Walmart!