Juicing is working for me!

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    I saw the movie FSND and it was one of my reasons for starting here on Mfp--like that dude, I started developing these weird "pot marks" all over my body and I went to a couple of doctors and none of them knew why and/or said it was something that nobody knows why or how it comes about--these marks/spots were totally hideous and I was desperate so, I did the juice thing but in a modified way. I juiced a huge variety of only organic and really strange (for me) and different types veggies and herbs and hardly juiced any fruits at all--but I did EAT fruits at this time instead. I had two of these different types of wide variety veggies juices per day and one nice sized meal per day (example large breakfast and juiced for lunch and dinner and ate fruit/healthy snacks about 2 per day or juiced for breakfast and ate a big organic/healthy lunch and juice for dinner with two snacks, and visa versa for dinner, etc.). My one meal per day DID NOT include any junky/greasy/fast foods nor processed sweets at all. No meats, no dairy, nor any "white" foods except baked potatoes. No sodas, no store brought juices, no coffee...my only liquids were homemade veggie juices and/or water only. I also turned my back on mostly all processed foods, I only ate out at restaurants every other week, if at all and any sweets that I'd eat (which wasn't a lot), I made them at home 98% of all the foods I did eat was homemade...I did this for approximately 2 1/2 or 3 months straight--no holds barred/no "cheating" so to speak--straight up IMB--NLB (I mean business--No looking back).

Here's what happened to me:
    *I dropped 4-6 pant sizes in 2 1/2- 3 months time (going from a 20W to 16 and 14W jeans) from 1X-XXL to medium/large
    *I lost almost 20 pounds in that time (doesn't sound like a whole lot of loss from the scale's point of view, but I saw and felt HUGE loses in inches all over my body, I was literally shrinking and looking and feeling FABULOUS too
    *Even my shoe size went down in that time, my feet shrank almost 1.5 sizes.
    *My body fat % went down so astronomically--it was nothing less than miraculous.
    *NO loose skin, in fact my skin and hair in that short amount of time turned into the most beautiful and glowing skin and hair in my life...people were commenting that I looked like I was 15-20 years younger ALL the time. The hideous spots left completely after 2 or 3 weeks of doing this. My fingernails were always brittle and cracking, they were growing like weeds.
    *My energy boosted like crazy--I sleep like a baby and started exercising like a child--super energized like never before!
    *My eye sight improved so much, I didn't wear my glasses anymore--no more blurry eyesight at all.

The BAD News...
    Because I had soooo much energy, I literally hurt myself exercising. I was peddling my stationary bike one day with my Vibrams barefoot gymshoes so FAST, my foot got caught in the peddle and it's a miracle my foot didn't get cut off! I still went to my Tae Kwon do classes anyway and then hurt my knee trying to be Bruce Lee, Jr. --that was the beginning of the end.

Eating this way and drinking this way (only organic, and high quality foods and fish) is SUPER expensive.

Storing all of the exotic organic veggies was a pain--took up HUGE amount of space in my fridge, and making the juices became a boring pain too--I hated it!

Because my foot and knee hurt, I slowly stopped exercising as much and then stopped all together. Once I stopped exercising--I started going back to my old habits of eating fast foods and junky processed foods. In about six months I not only gained ALL the weight back but 6 more pounds.

Today, I'm struggling and am about 20 pounds more than my loss with my juicing experiment. So my conclusion is while it does indeed work, in the long-run, it won't...because it's NOT sustainable--unless you live this way forever, you WILL gain it all back and even more...That said, if you are totally committed to doing this as a lifestyle and forever forsaking the S.A.D. (standard American diet) then it will work, if not--it's not worth the time, expense and short-term commitment, to me anyway!
  • I would love too. I new so I need some help and recipes on how to start a healthy lifestyle and meal choices
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    I would love too. I new so I need some help and recipes on how to start a healthy lifestyle and meal choices

MFP Juicing group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/328-juice-fasting-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead

Joe Cross' web site

http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    I wonder how OPs juicing is goiing? l am going to eat ice cubes and lemon water as a cleanse after the holidays. Not sure if I should add some fruits or vegetables, I'm scared to gain if I add fibre. I think for now the lemons and ice cubes will do.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    *facepalm*
    Stop starving yourselves everyone!

Ditto this!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    So...I'm not "hating" I'm actually curious as to the difference between juicing and just eating what you would juice?

What would be the difference and what are the benefits?

Yeah, I know google is my friend and all but I really don't want to spend hours sorting through opinion articles about it. Does anyone have a link to an actual scientific study that outlines this?
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    I started juicing today. I have had juices randomly over time but today starts me off at one juice a day. I am not fasting and sure I would love to lose weight but as of right now I am trying it for many health benefits. Medication doesn't seem to make me better so why not try anything I can, right?

Haters gonna hate :wink:
  • lyang429
    lyang429 Posts: 1 Member
    How to you track/ log juicing on myfitnesspal
  • sloth3toes
    So...I'm not "hating" I'm actually curious as to the difference between juicing and just eating what you would juice?

What would be the difference and what are the benefits?

Yeah, I know google is my friend and all but I really don't want to spend hours sorting through opinion articles about it. Does anyone have a link to an actual scientific study that outlines this?

I'm not hating, either.... but I highly doubt there's any scientific studies... any evidence is pretty much anecdotal. I could throw my 2 cents ( rounded down to $0, now... I'm Canadian.... ) worth in..... I have some juicing experience, but that's not what you asked for.

I started juicing today. I have had juices randomly over time but today starts me off at one juice a day. I am not fasting and sure I would love to lose weight but as of right now I am trying it for many health benefits. Medication doesn't seem to make me better so why not try anything I can, right?

Haters gonna hate :wink:

I doubt anyone's gonna hate on you for juicing once a day. What would be cool, would be if you joined up with the MFP juicing group, and posted there,

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/328-juice-fasting-fat-sick-and-nearly-dead

or even in this thread, with your progress and thoughts on what juicing once a day is doing ( or not doing ) for you.

How to you track/ log juicing on myfitnesspal

I've seen posts about this before. Searching MFP or the web, should yield you some web sites that give calorie counts or nutritional info for various homemade juices.
  • I just started "Juicing" and i need some good recipes. I need to shed my baby weight!
  • sloth3toes
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    I wonder how OPs juicing is goiing? l am going to eat ice cubes and lemon water as a cleanse after the holidays. Not sure if I should add some fruits or vegetables, I'm scared to gain if I add fibre. I think for now the lemons and ice cubes will do.

wait what? Ice cubes??? No other foods...and afraid to gain weight from eating fiber really?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    oh it works wonders for me too
    I am on the whiskey juice.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member

I make sure I exercise everyday. I workout for 1 1/2 hrs.

Seems excessive and certainly not necessary..

I'll stick with eating what I want and working out 30mins 4 times a week.

Wings and fries for dinner tonight and it should fit into my calorie goal!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    I just started "Juicing" and i need some good recipes. I need to shed my baby weight!

OP lost a whopping 6 pounds in August juicing, then was never heard from again. Perhaps you might want to try something that works longer. Unless you only have 6 pounds to lose. I'm going out on a limb here, and guess that the OP probably has gained those 6 lbs back by now, and possibly even more.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    I just started "Juicing" and i need some good recipes. I need to shed my baby weight!

Some of my organic juices I was using--at first, these concoctions were awful, but as I drank them everyday, they became more and more fabulous and I actually started craving them:

Rainbow Chard
    Ginger
    Lemon
    Celery
    Green apple
    half of a beet
    cucumber
    garlic

or

romaine
    spinach
    parsley
    ginger
    garlic
    green apple
    lemon

or

Collard greens
    Ginger
    Lemon
    Green apple
    Parsley
    cucumber
    1/2 sweet potato
    tumeric

or

Beet
    Dandelion greens
    ginger
    cucumber
    lemon
    sweet potato
    garlic
    parsley
    green apple

or

Red bell pepper
    Beet
    Carrot
    stinging nettle
    ginger
    lemon
    green apple
    celery
    spinach

Chinese cabbage
    Lemon
    Parsley
    Tumeric
    Ginger
    Garlic
    Green apple
    spinach

Kale
    Carrots
    Lime
    Celery
    green apple
    cucumber
    jalapeno pepper
    cilantro
    lemon
    tumeric

I juiced a LOT of different and strange combos...these are the ones I can remember for now.
  • sloth3toes

wait what? Ice cubes??? No other foods...and afraid to gain weight from eating fiber really?

I think that poster adds The Colonel's 11 different secret herbs and spices to the ice cubes as well... so, it's all good.

OP lost a whopping 6 pounds in August juicing, then was never heard from again. Perhaps you might want to try something that works longer. Unless you only have 6 pounds to lose. I'm going out on a limb here, and guess that the OP probably has gained those 6 lbs back by now, and possibly even more.

Do you have any peer reviewed scientific studies to back this opinion?

J/K.... ( mostly )

3879_-_animated_gif_chuck_norris_dodgeball_thumbs_up.gif
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member

I think that poster adds The Colonel's 11 different secret herbs and spices to the ice cubes as well... so, it's all good.

Do you have any peer reviewed scientific studies to back this opinion?

J/K.... ( mostly )

NOPE! That is why it is an opinion.

An opinion based on watching so many people I know in real life,as well as on here, who go all gung-ho to lose weight quickly by 'juicing', only to get bored and hungry after the first few pounds loss stops, and go back to eating normally and gain it all back and then some.

If someone is supplementing their otherwise balanced diet with some veggie juice, that is one thing, but to go all 'nothing but juicing' to lose weight quickly, is not a good idea.

Besides, they are stripping out the fiber from the fruits and veggies, making them no different than drinking Hi-C punch with vitamins added to it. Sugar and vitamins. I would rather eat Gummy Vitamins for the same effect.

But hey, it sells books and overpriced juicers on TV, so it is beneficial to SOMEONE in the long term.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I did a 30 day juice fast last summer and lost 27lbs! I gained about 20 pounds back

Ding ding ding!

Why is it so hard to see that you can't restrict like this and expect the results to last forever. Unless you plan on having nothing but juice for the rest of your life... you are going to gain that back when you go back to your normal habits.
  • sloth3toes

NOPE! That is why it is an opinion.

An opinion based on watching so many people I know in real life,as well as on here, who go all gung-ho to lose weight quickly by 'juicing', only to get bored and hungry after the first few pounds loss stops, and go back to eating normally and gain it all back and then some.

If someone is supplementing their otherwise balanced diet with some veggie juice, that is one thing, but to go all 'nothing but juicing' to lose weight quickly, is not a good idea.

Besides, they are stripping out the fiber from the fruits and veggies, making them no different than drinking Hi-C punch with vitamins added to it. Sugar and vitamins. I would rather eat Gummy Vitamins for the same effect.

But hey, it sells books and overpriced juicers on TV, so it is beneficial to SOMEONE in the long term.

I was mostly just kidding... but since we are swapping opinions..... I do have some first hand experience with juicing. I did straight juice for 10 days.... about 6 times a day. Then, I juiced 4 times a day, and ate a huge salad for one meal. I started adding nuts, and black beans... and did that almost exclusively for 4 months. I lost about 30 lbs. Since then, I have transitioned to eating mostly oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, and gigantic salads with black beans and nuts on them ( I log them as 700 calories ), and various meals for supper, sometimes without meat, and sometimes with lots of meat....

captain-americas-hamburger-heaven-burger.jpg

But, there was some method to my madness.... I knew I needed some kind of exit strategy, and a long-term plan to keep the weight off. I started exercising, and am fairly happy with my progress.

I did feel good, and damned if I didn't look good too, while I was juicing, and I did drop a bunch of lbs.

What I would say would be my experienced cons with juicing, would be.... I had little muscle mass to spare in the 1st place, and I'm not exactly a Greek God nekkid.... ( yet :blushing: ) and I wasn't exactly at the top of my game mentally, or physically, doing just juice.

I don't really promote juicing, and when people ask how I lost weight, I usually just tell 'em I stopped eating so much, or I ate nuts and berries, or whatever appeases them. When people ask about juicing at MFP, I generally don't say as much as I've said here, because, well.... it's just not science, and it's not the MFP way.

And, in fact, when newbies want advice on this new fad, or that new fad, I post this link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

But that's my personal experience with juicing..... and I can tell you this, for a fact... I'm alot happier now, than I was 8 months ago.

Not everyone who buys a juicer and starts stuffing fruits and vegetables into it, is an idiot.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!