Losing weight while struggling with Endometriosis.

My diet goes well during the month...until THAT week of my cycle hits. Then, the pain with endo hits me and Im back to needing my high calories, and medications. By the end of the week, I am exhausted, over my calorie intake, sore, and gained a few pounds back. It seems, I can lose one pound, the gain one back durinf THAT week. The scale goes up, the scale goes down, the scale goes up, the scale goes down. Measurements get bigger, then smaller. A never ending battle. If you have endo, or just bad periods, how do you cope during that bad week? My endo keeps me bedridden for 2-3 days during that week. Working out isnt an option, as Im so sick and in extreme pain. How doea one lose weight with endo? Thoughts? How do you survive your period?

Replies

• rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    edited July 2018
    Was just running a search for people in similar situations. I am not diagnosed with endometriosis but haven't had the laparoscopy either. Regardless, something is wrong. The pain is unbearable. On top of the pain, the emotional aspect of just feeling so alone, exhausted, less of a woman, hideous...it's draining.

My problem is I'm in "maintenance" (I eat like an idiot), so when this time comes, the extra calories are no bueno. On top of all the pain, I feel guilty for consuming so much food. But the things that feel soothing to me are carb heavy.

I don't know. I don't have an answer for you. I'm in so much pain, I have not slept in 3 days. At this point I feel defeated and am looking for support myself.
  • zunali
    zunali Posts: 5 Member
    First off I want to say I’ve never eaten or exercised properly. I am attempting to try now.

I’ve had painful periods most of my life and I was diagnosed about a year ago with endometriosis after my first laparoscopy. I was started on birth control and gained weight from it and had regular(timing wise), horribly painful periods. I would be bed ridden with cramps and a heating pad. (Sidenote: I ended up having two more abdominal surgeries last year within a couple months of each other, one to remove my gallbladder and one to remove my appendix.)

Last month I made the decision to stop the birth control pills, as they weren’t helping the pain. My doctor recommended trying to use them continuously but that only made things worse. She then said her next step would be the Depo shot and I wasn’t a fan of that either. Not wanting to go and find more treatment options(I have been through the ringer lately with doctors/hospitals), I decided to try to help myself without hormones and stopped it completely.

I immediately noticed I felt better when I stopped the birth control pills. Even though it killed me a bit, I started walking 5-6 days a week. Then I slowly started changing my diet to include more wholesome ingredients. I just had my first period after being off of birth control and I barely felt it. Maybe I’m just lucky for this one to not hurt, but I’ve never experienced that before.

I’m hopeful that my lifestyle changes are helping me with my endometriosis. I still get the odd pains here and there but it’s not nearly as bad as it’s been before and whilst on birth control.

I didn’t mean to get too off topic there but I wanted to share my experience with endo. Also, it is pretty normal to gain weight before and during your period. I always do. When I had my bad periods I did my best to eat well and rest, but it didn’t always end up going that way. Going for short walks helped me a lot with my cramps (when I was able to manage to get out of bed.) Heating pads are awesome.

Don’t beat yourself up too bad for eating more calories during your period, it is unlikely you are gaining and losing fat in that short amount of time. It is more than likely just water weight.

Hope that helped and wasn’t too haphazard! Feel free to add/message me if you need some support.
  • andi_83
    andi_83 Posts: 2 Member
    Also here with diaphragmatic/thoracic endo
  • Steelersfangirl
    Steelersfangirl Posts: 6 Member
    I have endo as well, it sucks but I do go get the procedure done to help ease the pain a little, I honestly do a light exercise and tell myself " you worked to hard to lose this weight dont do something crazy to gain it back ", that helps me. I know the pain is crazy but you have to try to push through, I go once every 2 years to get the procedure done.
  • dreinecke94
    dreinecke94 Posts: 33 Member
    My best friend has endo and she suffered from horrible period pain. She had tried birth control and the depo shot and self-managing techniques, nothing worked, until she got an IUD. The first 3 or so months with it was still really terrible for her, but now she has almost normal periods. I believe she is about 6 months into having the IUD now. She has said that her period is supposed to go away completely eventually. I'm just glad to have my friend back and not having to see her in so much pain anymore.