TDEE

Options
Please can anyone help? I am trying to work out my TDEE and keep getting different figures. Has anyone got a reliable calculator? I don't really know much about it so any information would be appreciated.

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    TDEE is an estimate and there are different calculations to estimate your TDEE. Inherently you will get different estimates based on which calculation you use. I like to use http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ because it has 4 options of calculations. It is also handy for figuring out your macro needs :)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    How much are they differing by? If it's only by around 100 calories it's fairly negligible. I always go off http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ It has been a good calculator for me and hasn't hindered my weight loss by using these numbers. I am sure other people will suggest other calculators that take more factors into consideration. Choose one and stick to those numbers, you can always adjust as necessary :smile:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as accurate.

Pick a number, use it for a month, then compare expected results to actual results. If they are way off, then tweak accordingly.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The same thing happend to me. Best bet, go down to your local fitness/nutrition store and see if they can have a scale that and read BF%, lbs, Maintenance calories and LBM. BMI = ( Weight in Pounds / ( Height in inches x Height in inches ) ) x 703 this multiplied by 1.5 (activity factor)if you workout 3 to 5 times a week and this will give you your TDEE. From there subract 15-20% of the total TDEE and that will give you your calore intake to loose weight. hope this help. if not inbox me and we can figure something out for you!
  • scottaworley
    Options

Pick a number, use it for a month, then compare expected results to actual results. If they are way off, then tweak accordingly.

No way dude. Trial and error can't be as effective as people on the internet.
  • Beastmode454
    Beastmode454 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    TDEE is an estimate and there are different calculations to estimate your TDEE. Inherently you will get different estimates based on which calculation you use. I like to use http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ because it has 4 options of calculations. It is also handy for figuring out your macro needs :)

yea i really liked this site he recommends
  • scottaworley
    Options
    The same thing happend to me. Best bet, go down to your local fitness/nutrition store and see if they can have a scale that and read BF%, lbs, Maintenance calories and LBM. BMI = ( Weight in Pounds / ( Height in inches x Height in inches ) ) x 703 this multiplied by 1.5 (activity factor)if you workout 3 to 5 times a week and this will give you your TDEE. From there subract 15-20% of the total TDEE and that will give you your calore intake to loose weight. hope this help. if not inbox me and we can figure something out for you!

I would suggest buying body fat calipers ($15) instead of using a scale. Again, they are all estimations but the scale is typically much less accurate than calipers.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

To expand on that, start with what should be your TDEE according to calculators, and if over the course of the month the weightloss you were expecting does not correlate with the weightloss you achieved, adjust.
  • Carly1805
    Carly1805 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    They are ranging from 1650 - 1790. I might stick to 1700 for a few weeks and see how I get on? Thanks for all the responses!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

That is the only TDEE calculator I have seen that gives the option of "exercise every day" that doesn't automatically assume it's intense exercise. I love it.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    They are ranging from 1650 - 1790. I might stick to 1700 for a few weeks and see how I get on? Thanks for all the responses!

That's a great idea! I might even go directly in the middle at 1720.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kem05
    kem05 Posts: 97
    Options

No way dude. Trial and error can't be as effective as people on the internet.

Lmao :laugh:
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Today I went to the bariatric center and had a Medgem test for RMR. The Dietician (very qualified person) then calculated my TDEE and arrived at 2303 calories.

2 weeks ago I used heybales spreadsheet and calculated it to be 2336.

Pretty darn close! LOL

I know, I know, dont get your frillies in a big wad - these calculations are only projections and are to be used only as a starting point.

I also think she was thinking that I was a big sexy stud and she would love to have my babies, but maybe not in those exact terms....
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Today I went to the bariatric center and had a Medgem test for RMR. The Dietician (very qualified person) then calculated my TDEE and arrived at 2303 calories.

2 weeks ago I used heybales spreadsheet and calculated it to be 2336.

Pretty darn close! LOL

I know, I know, dont get your frillies in a big wad - these calculations are only projections and are to be used only as a starting point.

I also think she was thinking that I was a big sexy stud and she would love to have my babies, but maybe not in those exact terms....

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    If you accurately track your calories consumed and your weight, then the best way BY FAR to work out your TDEE is to simply do some maths!

1. Take last week's figures, and add up all the calories you ate (so if you ate 1,500 per day, then 1,500x7 = 10,500).
    2. Take the difference between your weight at the start of the week and at the end and multiply it by 3,500 (so if you lost 1.2lb, then 1.2x3,500 = 4,200 calories).
    3. Add the above two numbers together and divide by 7 to give your TDEE (10,500 + 4,200 / 7 = 2,100)

That will give you your real TDEE over the past 7 days - no guess work using online formulae. The only assumption it makes is the (generally accepted) one that it takes 3,500 calories to burn 1lb of fat. It includes all your exercise figures, so if you normally exercise roughly the same amount week on week then that will be your TDEE next week too.
  • dajero1
    dajero1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump