MFP Net Calories

Options
I am confused about how MFP determines net calories. I thought it was calories in (food/beverages consumed) minus calories out (energy burned).

But, if my BMR is higher than what I have eaten that day (illness), why would my net be the amount of calories I ate, since just being alive (no matter how close to death I thought I was :p ) I burned more than I ate?

My Home Page shows "Exercise" being subtracted from "Food" but is that true "Net"?
I thought MFP calculations were based on NEAT.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is your net calories.
    Yes, MFP is based on Neat.

MFP gives you a calorie goal based on your estimated BMR, activity level (not including exercise) and weight loss goal. Your goal is to "net" the number of calories MFP has estimated for you. Your body needs calories to function... so you have to give it to them. That's why you're net will/should always be above your BMR.

If/when you exercise, you are asking your body to do more, thus it needs more calories to be healthy. That's why exercise is subtracted from food and your net calories change.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

MFP gives you a calorie goal based on your estimated BMR, activity level (not including exercise) and weight loss goal. Your goal is to "net" the number of calories MFP has estimated for you. Your body needs calories to function... so you have to give it to them. That's why you're net will/should always be above your BMR.

If/when you exercise, you are asking your body to do more, thus it needs more calories to be healthy. That's why exercise is subtracted from food and your net calories change.

But,
    my net calories, was exactly what I ate that day. If, I would require say, 1000 (nice round number) even if I was in a coma, and I ate 500 calories, wouldn't my net be -500, not 500?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    A screenshot would be helpful.

IF you exercise, those calories are added to your NEAT. Your food is subtracted from the total and your NET is any remaining.

What you're describing may be a bug or just an interesting anomaly.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,616 Member
    Options
    1000 (tdee while in a coma) minus 500 (what you're fed while in the coma) equals 500. That's your net.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    HeyJudii wrote: »

But,
    my net calories, was exactly what I ate that day. If, I would require say, 1000 (nice round number) even if I was in a coma, and I ate 500 calories, wouldn't my net be -500, not 500?

Correct. Net = food eaten - exercise.

Yes and no - you're look at it backwards. In your example, you would have a net energy balance of -500. In that sense, you are correct. MFP is coming at it from the other end... giving you a calorie goal and working off that number. In your example, MFP is telling you have 500 calories net remaining to eat. You're trying to net the number MFP gives you, not zero.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

But,

No. MFP doesn't subtract your NEAT in that equation. Your NET calories should be close to your target calories. Food consumed - exercise calories = NET calories. MFP uses NEAT to calculate your target, which is why you are supposed to eat those exercise calories.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You're trying to net the number MFP gives you, not zero.

Perfectly clear. Thank you!

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

But,

Your net is not the same as your NEAT calories?