Help needed to understand..

Options
RoyBeck
RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
edited June 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all

I'm back logging after a break of 2 years and 50lbs gained. I have a question.

My knowledge of logging and counting etc is decent. I currently weigh 252 having weighed 260 just 14 days ago. I've been logging, exercising and drinking plenty of water.

I get bored at times and like to mix things up. I've read pros and cons of regular weighing but this time decided I wanted to weigh myself daily to see how my body fluctuates.

Now in no way and I dejected I just want to ask why? I dropped 8lbs in 11 days. Tuesday I weighed 250. Yesterday I decided for no real reason is way only 1500 calories which is 500 less than MFP has me eating to lose a solid lb per week.

Yet today when I weighed myself I'd gone back to 252. Now I know I haven't gained 2lbs lol but what is the reason for This??

Replies

• RoyBeck
    Options
    Just to add I weigh myself each morning before work in my local gym using the same machine, shoes off and having eaten or drunk nothing for around 10 hours.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Could be anything: more salt, carbs, exercise, lack of sleep, stress, constipation ...or any combination of these or other factors. I wouldn't worry.

Hiya I'm certainly not worried just curious. Salt levels are low plus I'm drinking 2 litres of water daily. I'm.walking 3 miles on a treadmill. Sleeping well and toilet is daily. Very confusing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Yeah, it could happen for odd reasons you didn't even know or notice, like a very minor injury you don't feel, hormonal fluctuations, the body just doing its thing, even things like weather (people tend to retain more water in the summer, as counterintuitive as it sounds).

ETA: dieting is a stressor. It's entirely possible that your body felt more stressed on a lower calorie intake even if you didn't, but then again, no way to tell what exactly happens, just some correlations people notice sometimes (and have no idea whatsoever other times). I had my weight loss stall for 24 days at one time for no reason at all, then lost all my expected weight within the next few days. Learning to trust the process has been one of the best things for my sanity.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear and will fluctuate all of the time for a number of reasons and you can't always pinpoint why. Just wondering whether you have just added to your exercise amount as this can have a difference. This is why most around here use apps like Happy Scales (IOS) or Libra (Android). With these, you input your weight and the app will iron out the fluctuations so that the weight loss trend is shown. As long as that trend is downwards you know you are on the right path.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuates daily, even hourly, as people have said. it is normal. its also why people who have a hard time ignoring those daily fluctuations probably shouldnt weigh daily. it is the overall trend you want to look at.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Thanks to all. I know I'm eating at my required deficit and walking 3 miles per day and drinking 2 litres of water so I'm sure come Monday it'll be fine. Very interesting though weighing yourself daily to see these fluctuations.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Strange also that just coming out of MFP for a second my TDEE differs on different sites from 2600-2800. 34 male 5'10 252lbs light exercise. Very strange why there's be a 250 difference.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Trust the process.
    Use a trend weight.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's because they're all estimates - you don't do exactly the same things every day (e.g. take the exact same number of steps, eat the exact same quantities of the exact same foods etc.) so you're not going to burn exactly the same number of calories per day. What "light exercise" means to you and to someone else may be slightly different. Your body composition (muscle and fat) will be different from another person of your gender, height and weight. It's all estimates, and different sites you look at may use different methods or numbers for calculating that estimate. Don't stress too much about it - if you track as accurately as you can and monitor your weight you'll be able to see how accurate these estimates are in relation to you and can make any adjustments accordingly
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs over the day, depending on what I’ve eaten and bathroom use. I also have 2-3 true drops of weight over a month, probably from hormones and water retention being female.

My normal weigh in is first thing in the morning. I’ll look like I’m stuck in the 3-4 lb range up and down for a week or so, then bloop, I get up and I’m down a couple of pounds. I’ll stay in that range for a couple of weeks, then bloop, more gone. I was hung recently between 209 and 211. Now the number bounces between 206 and 207. My overall trend is downward if it is charted out and is on track with the expected loss average out, but if I didn’t know my trends, I might have concern. I’m pretty certain I’ll have a drop to the 202-203 range late next week, I just have to stay the course and be patient.

I also do measurements of my hips, waist and thighs. Those change steadily down, so that helps keep anxiety in check too.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Hi snemberton I know what you mean. I can notice a small change in my face and neck and also clothes are slightly better fitted after thus initial 8lb drop. I know I'll probably weigh myself on Sunday or Monday and I'll have dropped 2 or 3lbs it's all just very interesting.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    RoyBeck wrote: »
    Hi snemberton I know what you mean. I can notice a small change in my face and neck and also clothes are slightly better fitted after thus initial 8lb drop. I know I'll probably weigh myself on Sunday or Monday and I'll have dropped 2 or 3lbs it's all just very interesting.
    Just don’t let the scale be too concerning until you know your body’s individual trends.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuates due to a variety of reasons, including just natural fluctuations in water and inherent waste in your system. The human body is like 55-65% water...that's always going to fluctuate all on it's own.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    RoyBeck wrote: »
    Strange also that just coming out of MFP for a second my TDEE differs on different sites from 2600-2800. 34 male 5'10 252lbs light exercise. Very strange why there's be a 250 difference.

There are numerous formulas for estimating TDEE. Each site will vary some. It's best to pick a number and use it for several weeks and adjust when needed.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    In addition to what everyone is saying here about focusing on trends rather than day-to-day fluctuations, you might be interested in reading The Leptin Diet and in general reading about how leptin works.

Leptin is a hormone in the body that helps regulate your metabolic processes. Ironically, eating less than you normally do could be sending a signal to your brain that there is a "famine," inspiring your body to turn energy into fat and other things that might influence your weight.

So that could be happening here. Again guys don't hate on me lol but after 2 consecutive days of eating 1800 I weighed in this morning at 254. Put on a pound I don't think do. Like I've said I'm not concerned just curious. What Rochelle says sounds interesting as for 2 years I've literally ate what I've wanted and as I started driving around that time I've hardly exercised just a case of getting in and out of my car. Now I'm cutti g down to 1800-2200 daily and walking 3 miles per day my body may be holding on to the food?